Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Red Claw of Emperor

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Jamesw, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Advertisement
    Hello,

Just was given a young scorp was supposed to be an Emperor but it is feisty. I know that scorps have personalities but it is much more aggressive than my other Emperors is this by chance a Red Claw. Thanks oh knowledgeable ones.

Attached Files:

2. NYAN

NYAN Arachnoking Active Member

CA
    How are you keeping it? That substrate doesn’t look right for it.

3. Peat moss, potting soil, and some vermiculite misted daily with some sphagnum moss to help with humidity

4. NYAN

CA
    Looks one woodchips in the first photo. Does it have a hide and depth to burrow in? Can that mixture even support burrowing? It looks very loose to me.

5. Yes its

6. I have 6 other scorps and they do fine they all have hides and water bowls and get misted daily ...if you have a better substrate suggestion I'm always glad to hear better ideas that scorp is very small about 4 inches total so I can see how it would look like wood chips

7. NYAN

CA
    Most people recommend coco fiber or something less chunky. Keep in mind that these scorpions are nocturnal and spend a lot of time burrowed deep underground or hidden under stuff. You want to make sure you can provide both of these. From the photos I figured that they don’t have them, which would explain the behavior.

Sometimes scorps are just really defensive and high strung. I know that Pandinus are like that at times. What are you doing when it gets defensive? Are you misting it directly?

8. No

9. No not directly I've noticed the hate that except my forest scorps will sometimes drink from a slow spray stream. None of my scorps ever attack or anything like that this one just seemed grumpy. My others are great to interact with. I have a large female Asian forest scorp that is extreamly chill. I was questioning if the was Red Claw just because none of my other scorps act anything like this one. Could just be personality or being in a new home for under 10 days

10. NYAN

CA
    Like I said, some individuals are just like that. What are you doing that causes it to become defensive? Are you trying to pick it up?

11. Nothing just checking on it ......it will raise its claws and show its tail .......just feeding watering nothing particular ....I would not try to hold a scorp till it has had adjustment time....I'm gonna try the other substrate to see if that makes it feel more confortable....want my scorps to be happy....holding them stresses them so I dont do it often ....

• Like Like x 1
  12. NYAN

CA
    It probably thinks your a predator. I would just leave it be as much as possible. It may or may not get used to you.

13. That makes sense. Ok thanks.

14. Dry Desert

Dry Desert Arachnobaron Active Member

UK
    Sub adult P. imperator I doubt if you will find P. cavimanus these days, others are being shipped in with reddish claws, but not P. cavimanus. As yours is still sub adult it will be feisty until older and calmer.

15. Thanks much appriciated

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.