Recovering sling (death curl)

Gwynevere

Arachnopeon
I went to Florida and my spider-sitter didn't feed/water my sling (EUPALAESTRUS CAMPESTRATUS) as much as it needed. It ended up going into a death curl (legs curled under body, right side up, not moving). I managed to rehydrate it, but I'm wondering if there is some easy food for it to recoup on. At the moment, I feed flightless fruit flies, but I know I need a better variety of food.

Advice?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Ok. 10 days wouldnt starve or dehydrate a T. The problem was more likely pre-exsisting. Pictures would be good :)

Gwynevere

Arachnopeon
These pictures were taken today. He is on an eco-earth, top-soil/sand mix with a small layer of moss (he has since decided to run under the moss). The paper towel is damp, and when he was curled, I had him in a 2 inch tall container with just damp paper towel. He's barely under a inch in size. I live in Colorado and the ambient humidity in my house never gets above 10%, so I keep him near my tortoise hut for the lighting to create condensation in the container. Holes are punched on the sides. The top is enclosed.

Attachments

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
The abdomen doesnt look shriveled so I dont think it will be dehydration.

I suggest removing the pper towel as its a breeding ground for bactiria, swapping the substrate you have for just slightly damp eco earth. This will be better for burrowing and holding moisture. I would place a small water dish in too. This will be the best thing to do to prevent dehydration.

I cant really see the curl from those photos but I think a rehouse is in order. It may just be lethargic if approaching molt.

Gwynevere

Arachnopeon
The abdomen doesnt look shriveled so I dont think it will be dehydration.

I suggest removing the pper towel as its a breeding ground for bactiria, swapping the substrate you have for just slightly damp eco earth. This will be better for burrowing and holding moisture. I would place a small water dish in too. This will be the best thing to do to prevent dehydration.

I cant really see the curl from those photos but I think a rehouse is in order. It may just be lethargic if approaching molt.
He stopped curling after I put the paper towel in. I'll remove it. How large of a dish of water should I do for a sling that small?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I would use a small plastic bottle cap. Clean it out with hot water then fill half way and place next to your T. It will drink if it needs too.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
eh, it looks very dry for a sling that size. put in a bottle cap lid and fill it with water. but personally, id leave the paper towel in there for a couple days. works just as well.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
eh, it looks very dry for a sling that size. put in a bottle cap lid and fill it with water. but personally, id leave the paper towel in there for a couple days. works just as well.
Thats what I was thinking. Top soil or eco earth is much better for retaining moisture. Its finer and will be easier for your sling to make itself a home.

cold blood

Staff member
I went to Florida and my spider-sitter didn't feed/water my sling (EUPALAESTRUS CAMPESTRATUS) as much as it needed. It ended up going into a death curl (legs curled under body, right side up, not moving). I managed to rehydrate it, but I'm wondering if there is some easy food for it to recoup on. At the moment, I feed flightless fruit flies, but I know I need a better variety of food.

Advice?
1. It needed water, food is inconsequential in recovery.

2. Don't feed fruit flies as anything more than a supplementary part of the diet, they are nutrient deficient and can cause curling legs in slings fed too long on them.

Crickets are fine, if you need something small, a half of a cricket or even just a leg is fine. Diced up mealworms are one of my favorite sling feeders, they're fatty and even 1/4" of a mealie is a big meal for a sling...so you don't need to feed nearly as often.

10 days without food or even water shouldn't be an issue for a plump, healthy sling.

Condensation in an enclosure is a BAD sign, you do not want that!

I'm speechless with regards to the wet paper towel. A water bottle cap is fine to add, the t is not capable of drowning, they float.

Being concerned with humidity numbers is a great way to kill your sling. Its a lot simpler than you are making it...a water dish, and partially damp sub and you are golden...just make sure the lid doesn't have too much ventilation or it will dry the enclosure really quickly.

Otherwise I see no issues with the set up or the substrate you used...topsoil is my #1 preference for all ts.

Last edited: