RECOMMENDED Inexpensive Handleable Beginner Scorpions

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
Hell ya'll.

I'm currently in the market for a beginner scorpion that fits the below requirements. There are plenty of beginner scorpion threads, but I want to know what yall recommend (would be best if you can vouch for the species firsthand, but obviously that's not required). Here are the criteria:

-Beginner friendly: this is my first scorpion. I own an agamid lizard and numerous other Inverts. I also am a thorough researcher. But it should still be beginner friendly.

-Handleable: I'm a very busy person. But on an odd weekend, holiday, or relaxing summer day, I would like to be able to handle my scorpion for a bit. It should be a docile species with mild venom and lacking an inclination to sting.

-Inexpensive: the scorpion should be reasonably priced and not insanely difficult to find. Preferably common enough to be possibly found at an expo.

I asked ChatGPT this to test out it's skills, and it recommended a Deathstalker (yikes), so here I am.

Thanks everyone!

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
I mean there’s a couple obvious genera but it’s just all around not gonna be advisable to handle a scorpion

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Do not buy a scorpion in order to handle them they are best and properly treated as display animals only. They can not give nor accept affection, they get no benefits from being handled. Just potential risk of stress, injury, or death to the scorpion, and also injury to the handler.

Best beginner friendly scorpions:

Heterometrus silenus (Asian Forest Scorpion)
Pandinus imperator (Emperor Scorpion)
Pandipalpus viatoris (Cave Clawed Scorpion)

5-10 gallon terrarium
75F-85F
4"-6" moist substrate (clumpy not drippy)
Waterdish
Cork bark hides
Moss

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
Do not buy a scorpion in order to handle them they are best and properly treated as display animals only. They can not give nor accept affection, they get no benefits from being handled. Just potential risk of stress, injury, or death to the scorpion, and also injury to the handler.

Best beginner friendly scorpions:

Heterometrus silenus (Asian Forest Scorpion)
Pandinus imperator (Emperor Scorpion)
Pandipalpus viatoris (Cave Clawed Scorpion)

5-10 gallon terrarium
75F-85F
4"-6" moist substrate (clumpy not drippy)
Waterdish
Cork bark hides
Moss
Truthfully the handling would really only be during cleaning and other times when the scorpion would need to be removed from the enclosure. But a docile species that wouldn't unprovokedly sting a hand in the enclosure is what I have in mind. Coming from the reptile hobby, I guess my phrasing of handleable was not appropriate for this case.

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
Truthfully the handling would really only be during cleaning and other times when the scorpion would need to be removed from the enclosure. But a docile species that wouldn't unprovokedly sting a hand in the enclosure is what I have in mind. Coming from the reptile hobby, I guess my phrasing of handleable was not appropriate for this case.
There is no guarantee any scorpion won't sting or pinch if handled including the docile Emperor. And some of these scorpions can draw blood with their claws. When I need to remove a scorpion for maintenance or rehousing I use a catch cup with sealable lid and tongs. I safely and temporarily store the scorpions in this secured container therefore I have both hands available to me for cleaning, maintenance, and rehousing. 😉👍

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
When I need to remove a scorpion for maintenance or rehousing I use a catch cup with sealable lid and tongs. I safely and temporarily store the scorpions in this secured container therefore I have both hands available to me for cleaning, maintenance, and rehousing
@FlamingSwampert
You should not have to do maintenance often enough to merit removing them that often but if you do this is what you want to do.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Best starter animal: a rattlesnake. Cut and dried, learn respect of the animal. The wake up call if you don't respect it won't easily be forgotten, if you survive. Zero tolerance for stupid moves.

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
How about a vinegaroon? I know it's not a scorpion but judging by the responses handling any scorpion at all is very taboo.

Zac0904

Arachnopeon
Heterometrus spp. and Pandinus spp. are good starters. Hardy and easy to take care of, relatively cheap as well.

HOWEVER, I highly recommend AGAINST handling scorpions or any invertebrates for that matter.

1. You could get hurt.
Though scorpions (especially the aforementioned species) are relative docile and reluctant to using their stingers, they still have strong pedipalps and a stinger that could harm you. The chances of you getting stung or pinched are rare but it can happen.

2. You could stress the specimen.
Frequent handling can cause stress which could potentially cause it to stop eating, become lethargic etc.

Handling does not do scorpions any good and are simply for your own pleasure. You wont want to handle a tropical fish either, right? They are best to be left alone and as display animals.

Hope this helps.
-Zach

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
How about a vinegaroon? I know it's not a scorpion but judging by the responses handling any scorpion at all is very taboo.
I still don't agree with this option to handle either, no heavy bodied arachnid is truly great for handling including a scorpion, tarantula, vinegaroon, etc. Its best to never do so and use catch cups and avoid it all cost to their lives.

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
Heterometrus spp. and Pandinus spp. are good starters. Hardy and easy to take care of, relatively cheap as well.

HOWEVER, I highly recommend AGAINST handling scorpions or any invertebrates for that matter.

1. You could get hurt.
Though scorpions (especially the aforementioned species) are relative docile and reluctant to using their stingers, they still have strong pedipalps and a stinger that could harm you. The chances of you getting stung or pinched are rare but it can happen.

2. You could stress the specimen.
Frequent handling can cause stress which could potentially cause it to stop eating, become lethargic etc.

Handling does not do scorpions any good and are simply for your own pleasure. You wont want to handle a tropical fish either, right? They are best to be left alone and as display animals.

Hope this helps.
-Zach
I wonder if it's been proven that gentle, very infrequent and short handling stresses a scorpion out very much. I mean, if the scorpion is just walking around on your hand, I figure it wouldn't be that stressful. If it walks onto your hand on its own when presented, as I've seen in some videos, I figure it must not be that stressful.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I wonder if it's been proven that gentle, very infrequent and short handling stresses a scorpion out very much. I mean, if the scorpion is just walking around on your hand, I figure it wouldn't be that stressful. If it walks onto your hand on its own when presented, as I've seen in some videos, I figure it must not be that stressful.
And how are you going to get the scorpion onto your hand ??
Any creature wandering around on someones hand is only looking for a way off, due to it being stressed out and wanting to return to what it considers to be it's safe area - it's hide.

When you place the scorpion back into it's enclosure, if it was happy and stress free it would wander around, or try to climb back onto your hand.

No - it tries to return to its hide as soon as possible, the only place it considers to be safe and stress free.

You came onto the forum asking about handling a scorpion - everyone has told you Don't.

I will add my name to the list of Don't.