Recommended Humidity for Pandinus Cavimanus

Downthehatch11

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I just got my first scorpion 4 days ago. As you may have guessed it is a Red Claw (Pandinus Cavimanus). I was just wondering what level of humidity this species requires to live comfortably?

It (don't know sex) seems pretty comfortable when it is out of his cave. It just sits there patiently, usually only moving to explore or when it's provoked in some manner.

I can vary the temperature pretty easily from 70 - 80 degrees no problem, never drops below, never goes above. However the humidity level drops significantly if I don't manually mist with a water bottle (usually after 2 hours goes from around 85%+ to 50%).

Water dish has approximately a 2" radius and is 1/4" deep. I mist the sides of the tank as well as the substrate AND I plastic wrapped the lid so that there is nothing but a single hole for the lamp (on the right side). Poke little slits on the left side to help prevent mold from building up.

I guess ultimately I am wondering if 50% is good enough for this scorpion or should I invest in some type of humidifying system because I am pretty damn lazy and hate having to spray the tank every 2 or so hours.

Any comments, answers or questions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

BeakerTheMighty

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ideally the scorpion should probably be in the neighborhood of 85 Fahrenheit and the enclosure should be lightly misted 3 or so times a week. They can be a bit drier than P. imperator. You are probably fine where you are at with it and so long as it is still eating and doesn't appear stressed then you're probably fine.

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've always read higher humidity... but everyone seems to do their own thing. With mine.... basically the water dish never dries out.. the substrate is always moist, I don't mist, but refresh the water dish... I have mine in a ten gallon with a glass top... It seems happy healthy and full of attitude :)

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
Welcome to your new addiction :)

My first scorpion was a Red Claw aswell. Where abouts in Canada are you ?
S. Ontario here.
Should PM a mod to get access to the Canadian Trading Board.

Bammer

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pandinus sp. experience seasonal differences and have regional differences as well.

I would recommend misting heavily when you can. It can be wet then dry. No problems. Doing this, I maintained healthy Emps for a long time. Their enclosure would be wetted down, then get to bone dry. Then wetted again. Worked fine for me. Of course, the deeper the sub, the less often you have to mist. I was running with around 6" and it worked well for me. Twice a week they got a good mist lashing. That worked well. :)