Recommended dwarf species that kick the least hairs (First time owner)

Mike Page

Arachnopeon
Im looking to get a Dwarf to Small species. I had my eye on the C Elegans but I've heard they can kick a lot an get skittish. For me, I don't care about the color or looks of the spider as long as its docile. I see many people have different opinions on the beginner species but I would like opinions from you guys.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Davus pentaloris is a cool smaller species. Has UrS, but mine has never kicked or even made a threat pose.
20220613_123930.jpg
P6210007.JPG

goonius

Arachnoknight
I’ve had two C elegans and neither have ever kicked hairs at me. Mine are really chill. They stay in their hides a lot so I always arrange the hide so I can see in through a ‘window.’ A small piece of cork glued to the side of the enclosure works well for this. They are shy but always pop out to grab a pinhead roach when I drop it in. I think they are great little spiders.

It’s been my general experience that if a spider has a secure place to hide it is less likely to use its defenses. It would prefer to flee. The only hair kicking I get, is during rehousing, but with the C elegans they haven’t even kicked then. Do keep in mind that as slings these guys are REALLY small. Minuscule. The first one I got was so young/little that I struggled to see it and had to put it in an enclosure that had the width of a quarter for the first couple of months. I’m old and my eyesight sucks so I pretty much turned over care to my daughter until I could actually see the spider.

N incei are great too, I especially love the heavy webbing. They can be a little fast though, and with no hairs to kick, running does seem to be their first defense. My N incei is the only one I’ve ever had to chase across the floor during a rehouse, even though I used the nesting boxes to try to contain it.

My D pentaloris can be kind of feisty, and has kicked hairs at me before during a rehouse.

Keep in mind that if you do get a species that kicks hairs you can wear safety glasses when rehousing or doing enclosure maintenance. I do this for known kickers. Better than hairs in the eye. We also use thick dishwashing gloves when dealing with urticating hair-filled substrate. Thus far I’ve never gotten ‘haired.’ My daughter has — but only when sexing molts, because they are so fiddly that it’s hard to avoid and wearing gloves isn’t practical. Point being, if you are careful and mindful you’ll be fine no matter what species you choose.

AlbaArachnids92

Arachnoknight
I am going to re-recommend N. incei! Come in 2 colour forms (olive & gold, olive is more attractive IMO), heavy webbers, good feeding response (mine anyway), no hairs and a nice dwarf size :)

Mine has always preferred to retreat than show any form of defensiveness BUT it is very fast about retreating so I'd imagine they can be a handful if they don't have somewhere secure to hide.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +

Can’t go with either one! I think I prefer my Cyriocosmus elegans as the size transformation from minuscule spec upwards is just incredible!

Shinn

Arachnosquire

Can’t go with either one! I think I prefer my Cyriocosmus elegans as the size transformation from minuscule spec upwards is just incredible!
Lovely photos!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Lovely photos!
Thanks!! I also don’t know where you heard Cyriocosmus elegans kicks setae I have never heard that before or witnessed it tbey are much more prone to retreat and hide when disturbed

Shinn

Arachnosquire
Thanks!! I also don’t know where you heard Cyriocosmus elegans kicks setae I have never heard that before or witnessed it tbey are much more prone to retreat and hide when disturbed
Uh. I didn't say that? Lol. Would love to have a C. elegans though.