Recommendations for ready-made or almost ready millipede substrate?

tepy

Arachnopeon
Hello! I am planning on getting one or two millipedes soon and am trying to get all my supplies first. I'm trying to find a substrate that is sort of ready to be poured straight into the enclosure since I don't really have anywhere to store extra substrate if I were to make my own from big bags. I have heard of Josh's Frogs Millie Mix, substrate from Bugs in Cyber Space, and also Vivarium Naturals Bio-Thrive for millipedes. The last one I mentioned might be most convenient because it's in my local pet store, but I don't know what it is lacking or if it's fine as is. The other two I mentioned seem to be ready-to-go or recommend adding extra leaves.

Can anyone speak for the ones I mentioned and say if they are good or not? I would also like to hear if there are recommendations for other substrates that are practically ready-to-go. Of course I am willing to add more to them if needed, but this is just a start. I appreciate any help!

editing in a pic of the last substrate I mentioned:
1680032753177.png

Last edited:

Diplopodia

Arachnosquire
The one you have in the picture is one I use but I also mix it with Josh's Frog Millipede substrate.
The Defiant Forest who sells the mix you pictured offers a kit with substrate, dead wood, and dried leaves.

tepy

Arachnopeon
The one you have in the picture is one I use but I also mix it with Josh's Frog Millipede substrate.
The Defiant Forest who sells the mix you pictured offers a kit with substrate, dead wood, and dried leaves.
Oh thats good to know!! If my local pet store doesnt sell millipedes i might buy their entire starter kit with the two millipedes! Thank you for letting me know about this substrate, I can buy it local to me in my store and buy that supplemental wood and collect leaves :>!

tepy

Arachnopeon
Oh also is there a certain reason you use both josh’s frogs and the pictured one? Do you think it needs more ?

PillipedeBreeder

Arachnosquire
Hello,
Josh frog‘s millipede substrate isn’t good for millipedes, definitely not recommend it.

I however recommend buying and making FlakeSoil.
Kevin Nasser and USInvertebrateLLC both make the highest quality millipede FlakeSoil around, which is the best for millipedes compared to all other options.

But generally speaking, the substrate should be made atleast 1/3 out of decaying wood and 1/3 of decaying leaves (not dead and dry!) and max 1/3 of an inedible, but harmless bulk. If a substrate doesn’t meet the basic nutritional needs of millipedes, which is decaying plant matter, it should neither be sold specifically for them nor used solely.

Best regards

bunnythetarantula

Arachnopeon
Hello,
Josh frog‘s millipede substrate isn’t good for millipedes, definitely not recommend it.

I however recommend buying and making FlakeSoil.
Kevin Nasser and USInvertebrateLLC both make the highest quality millipede FlakeSoil around, which is the best for millipedes compared to all other options.

But generally speaking, the substrate should be made atleast 1/3 out of decaying wood and 1/3 of decaying leaves (not dead and dry!) and max 1/3 of an inedible, but harmless bulk. If a substrate doesn’t meet the basic nutritional needs of millipedes, which is decaying plant matter, it should neither be sold specifically for them nor used solely.

Best regards
Really? Whats wrong with Josh’s Frogs Substrate? I always thought they had good products

Diplopodia

Arachnosquire
Oh also is there a certain reason you urent se both josh’s frogs and the pictured one? Do you think it needs more ?
It's a different composition and texture. I used it as my only substrate at first until I bought one of the Millipede kits from The Defiant Forest. I went off what I was reading. I've had successful breeding with my setups so I can't complain.

PillipedeBreeder

Arachnosquire
Hello,
Really? Whats wrong with Josh’s Frogs Substrate? I always thought they had good products
On it‘s lable there’s shown it contains coco fibre and it’s generally speaking not a high quality substrate, as it would be almost entirely made of decaying wood and decaying leaves if it was. It’s more of a edible filler, it should be supplemented with the aforementioned ingredients to make sure they are offered in needed amount.

Best regards