Recommendation for ALL tarantula owners

jgod790

Arachnoknight
GO BUY THE BOOK "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" by Stanley A. Schultz and Marguerite J. Schultz, regardless of your experience, whether your new to the hobby, or if you already have 50 T's, I guarantee you will find something new in the book you didn’t know. It is a very entertaining and educational read for any T hobbyist.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
GO BUY THE BOOK "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" by Stanley A. Schultz and Marguerite J. Schultz, regardless of your experience, whether your new to the hobby, or if you already have 50 T's, I guarantee you will find something new in the book you didn’t know. It is a very entertaining and educational read for any T hobbyist.
Dude, I think about 98% of the people on these boards own a copy or even maybe two of that book....

Also not to be overlooked is Sam D Marshall's book Tarantulas and Other Arachnids.

;P

---------- Post added at 03:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 AM ----------

My copy seems pretty outdated.
I have the old one and the revised edition, they're both full of great information although I dont believe it to be the bible people say it is. None the less there is a lot of good information in it.

jgod790

Arachnoknight
My copy seems pretty outdated.
There is a revised edition

---------- Post added at 04:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 AM ----------

Dude, I think about 98% of the people on these boards own a copy or even maybe two of that book....

Also not to be overlooked is Sam D Marshall's book Tarantulas and Other Arachnids.

;P

---------- Post added at 03:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 AM ----------

I have the old one and the revised edition, they're both full of great information although I dont believe it to be the bible people say it is. None the less there is a lot of good information in it.
Would you say Marshall's book is better? And sure it may not be a "bible" but it is nice to have one solid source of info, rather then surfing the internet for information that may, or may not be valid.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Would you say Marshall's book is better? And sure it may not be a "bible" but it is nice to have one solid source of info, rather then surfing the internet for information that may, or may not be valid.
I wouldn't say any where better than the other, both books are great. I like they way Marshall's is a nice easy read and more chilled if you get that? Also I still think looking around the internet is usually the best bet, there are so many people on forums with hands on experience with certain species. I find the best bet on species care/info is always online.

:)

jgod790

Arachnoknight
Yea with Schultz, sometimes I have to read the same sentence multiple times. because he uses the most technical words he possibly can. Its very educational, but dude, I’m not a Dr. here, speak English please! Well with that said, I am defiantly going to look into that other book. And yea the internet can be very useful, but sometimes you do find GARBAGE from some idiot who really doesn’t know anything.

Hatr3d

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No news here, but if you know french "Mygales, dècouverte e élevage" by Jean-Michel Verdez is the way to go.

The Schultz book (revised edition) is decent but I've found it to be pretty "american-oriented" and not so scientific when it comes to subjects as captive care/housing. And with american-oriented I mean that it regards T's just as another hobby among others and our beloved animals just as another pet among others.

Also LOL @ the consideration about the technical words, they're not much, and what do you expect from a scientific publication? Just to find silly common names and inexact infos? We have a brain for a reason

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yea with Schultz, sometimes I have to read the same sentence multiple times. because he uses the most technical words he possibly can. Its very educational, but dude, I’m not a Dr. here, speak English please!
Really?! :? I thought the Schultz' presented all information pretty straight forward and simplistically. Most of the 'big words' are defined, or have alternate words in parentheses next to them. The TKG is intended to educate those who wish to be educated so they can then communicate knowledgably with others of similar interest.

SpidSquid

Arachnopeon
I have both the revised Schultz book, and Marshall's book. I prefer Marshall's, but see the benefit of both. I think the best education though is one you learn yourself. I am more a hands on learner, so I actually have put together a (rather massive) binder filled with my notes, experiences and observations over the years. It's really fun to go back and re-read about your first bite, and mentally experience the event all over again, lol!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Stan Schultz actually posts here from time to time as user Pikea. It's funny sometimes because he has a fairly low post count and newer members who don't know who he is will try to argue with him. It's like trying to tell B.B. King he's playing his guitar all wrong, don't you know that's The King you're talking to?

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are the changes to the TKG just related to the scientific names of the various species that have been revised over the years? Or are there more sweeping updates like recommendations for housing and substrate?

Rue

Arachnoknight
I have the older version of the Schultzs' book...and was very impressed with it. I also have ordered a copy of the new edition...looking forward to comparing it.

It's very readible I find. Love his sense of humour.

And with american-oriented I mean that it regards T's just as another hobby among others and our beloved animals just as another pet among others.
I don't quite understand 'American-oriented'. Are you talking about Americans, North Americans (Canada, US and Mexico) or pet-keeping practices in North America vs. other parts of the world?

As fond as you are are of your T's...they ARE just another pet and hobby - what else? Your hobby may have a different centre focus than mine (collecting, biology, photography, breeding, pet only, etc.) ...but it's still a hobby involving a pet.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have two different editions and another book by another author.

malhomme

Arachnopeon
Yea with Schultz, sometimes I have to read the same sentence multiple times. because he uses the most technical words he possibly can. Its very educational, but dude, I’m not a Dr. here, speak English please! Well with that said, I am defiantly going to look into that other book. And yea the internet can be very useful, but sometimes you do find GARBAGE from some idiot who really doesn’t know anything.
Hehehe, couldn't disagree more. If anything I found it was not technical enough for my tastes. Still, I highly recommend the TKG. I've read cover to cover half a dozen times and always learn something I missed before.

jgod790

Arachnoknight
Are the changes to the TKG just related to the scientific names of the various species that have been revised over the years? Or are there more sweeping updates like recommendations for housing and substrate?
Ive never read the older version, but from what is said in the revised edition, some of the scientific names have slight changes, and yes some substrate suggestions, maybe life span data, and other scientific data that has changed over the years, just little stuff like that. So yea it would be nice to have a revised edition, but if you have the older one, I wouldnt say it will lead you astray.

---------- Post added at 03:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 AM ----------

Hehehe, couldn't disagree more. If anything I found it was not technical enough for my tastes. Still, I highly recommend the TKG. I've read cover to cover half a dozen times and always learn something I missed before.
tkg? You would say its more educational that Schultz?

Scolopeon

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yea I own both copies, not a bad book overall.

I prefered both copies of my other book, "Tarantula's and other arachnids"

Overall there is not too many changes between the revisions.

smoothie4l

Arachnopeon
i agree

YES, i have read that book before very good, i learned so much from that book!! :D

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Quote:
Originally Posted by malhomme View Post
tkg? You would say its more educational that Schultz?
TKG = Tarantula Keeper's Guide, by Stan and Marguerite Schultz

matthias

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Have all three versions, there is a definite progression in the information from the dawn of T keeping in the US to the best information we had at the time of it's printing.

Stan if you are reading this, any chance of an electronic version, so I can have the info where ever I go on my Kindle?