Recommend a T

arachnova

Arachnopeon
Hi, im new here and to Ts. I would like to purchase my first T in the next few weeks. Please help me decide which one to buy.
It should be a looker and always out in the open. This will be a display T so I don't want something that is always in its burrow. Temperament is not an issue cause I dont handle my pets.
Tnx everyone.. Hoping to hear from you all! :)

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
A B. smithi?

Nice markings, decent size, and pretty much always out in the open.

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards. Well, you can look for an Avicularia species, there are many. Also alot of Brachypelmas, Smithi or Albopilosum. Do some google research or here on the boards. Lots of info for you. Be careful. This hobby is quite addictive. I started out like you and I now have 17 T's.

*******ENJOY*******

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Grammostola aureostriata

They are docile and get up to 8 inches in size. Nice colors too.

arachnova

Arachnopeon
Tnx guys. Those redknees sure looks stunning.:drool: From what ive researched, they're terrestrial burrowers. This worries me a bit since some people report having rarely seen their redknees..

tmanjim, i promised myself to buy only one T.. only one. That's why it needs to be stunning! Lets see if I could control myself.. haha

FOOTBALL FAN

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
b.Vagans, B.emilia, B.Smithi Brachypelma species are good starters for a aboreal A.avic is ok

ErikH

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You should be happy with either b. smithi, or g. aureostriata. If you decide to get another later on, a. geniculata makes a stunning display T., but they are a bit nervous, so probably not a good starter t.

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
C. cyanopubescens and C. fasciatum is always out. Nice coloration on these two stunning Costa Rican Ts. Ever since I got them they are always visible, except during pre-molt.

The Shadow

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Brachypelma auratum, Brachypelma smithi. I have an auratum and the flames are stunning. Brachypelma are great to start off with. You won't be dissapointed.

Arachno~Raver

Arachnopeon
a. versicolor but it might web up the encloser heavily or Psalmopoeus irminia but this species can be somewhat defensive but they are both real lookers

rYe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Grammostola aureostriata

They are docile and get up to 8 inches in size. Nice colors too.
I agree, I'm getting two friends started in the world of T keeping and I'm helping them to get a G. aureostriata each. Beware these are slow growers so if you want the nice color now buy it older. Rosies are the staple begininer T and while most are a brown coloring you can find some really nice variations. Saw one at a pet store that had light blue legs and a red "butt." My Rosie spends some time hiding but will come out fairly often to sit next to her log and if you mess with anything in her tank she'll pop out to see what's going on.

Akitayoji

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
C. cyanopubescens and C. fasciatum is always out. Nice coloration on these two stunning Costa Rican Ts. Ever since I got them they are always visible, except during pre-molt.
I agree whole-heartedly. If you want a really beautiful T and you aren't going to handle it then C cyan (or Green Bottle Blue) would be my choice.:clap:

thwarts

Arachnopeon
I've got a b.emilia and i haven't seen it for days now. it's dug itself a burrow and hardly comes out!!! my g.rosea always stayed out though.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi and welcome to the boards!! What about a B. boehmei? They are very colorful and beautiful and mine never hides. He is a horrible hair kicker, and is skittish, but he does eat well. Shouldn't be a problem if you don't plan on handling, and you might get one with a more mellow temperment than mine.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Rosies are the staple begininer T and while most are a brown coloring you can find some really nice variations. Saw one at a pet store that had light blue legs and a red "butt."
What the? Are you sure that was a rosea and not something else that got mislabeled? (Petshops do that all the time.) The only rosea variations I've ever heard of were the "muddy" gray-brown, the lighter color with the pink carapace, and the red.

OP, G. aureostriata is a great little bug. I got mine at 1", and it started getting adult colors within a couple months. Even before that it was a lovely critter, kind of a black with gold glaze/highlights. I've had it for a year now, and it's almost 2.5". Not bad for a Grammostola species--this is one of the genus' faster growers.

C. cyaneopubescens is another awesome display T. However, they are SUPER nervous and will run and hide if someone so much as walks a little too heavily...across the house. {D Cool animals, though. Mine eats like a fiend and does interesting things with her web, but not so much so that I can't see her. Keep this species as dry as possible or they'll die.

I have a little L. parahybana that's always out. Not one of the more in-your-face color schemes, but I think he's cute. And once they've gotten to their full 10-11" or whatever legspan, I think they're gorgeous.

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Put me in with the Grammostola aureostriata boat as well, I love mine! :D Calm, cooperative and pays off, mine is at 2inches or so but already got some nice coloration, they are great Ts for their size potential and docile nature, hardy, easy to care for, and can be a good looker on the display floor. :D

Cmendel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I also recommend C. cyanopubescens, as said before they can be quite nervous, but if mine is in her web she is fine when I'm doing matience. She does kick hairs if she isn't in the web though :wall:

If you don't plan on handleing then it shouldn't really be a concern. Good luck with whichever T you pick and welcome to the Hobby. I just got into it myself this November. Have two so far, with a few on the list {D

arachnova

Arachnopeon
wooh, i think im gonna go crazy.. so many suggestions.. {D {D {D
Thanks everyone. :clap: Now i have a pretty good idea on what to get. i think im gonna choose between these three..
1. B. smithi
2. G. aureostriata
3. C. cyanopubescens

..i'll get whichever comes my way first.. although not sure bout the third.. saw some pics of it and dont really like the color scheme that much. dunno why though.haha
Ill do some more research before I actually buy one. Thanks. :razz: