Recomendations?

TooManyCooks

Arachnopeon
Im looking for a good first/beginner tarantula to call my own, and I have a few specifications and "requirements"/wants, so i figured there is no better place to ask around than here.

-Not too expensive in upfront and long-term costs, but i'd be willing to dish out a few extra bucks
-i'd prefer something that can web
-Something shy or rarely seen works just fine. The less visible to arachnophobic housemates, the better.
-Something food aggressive, i'd like a reliable eater that won't turn down food before i leave for a week's time.
-I keep a couple centipedes, including an 18cm Scolopendra dehaani, which i find quite easy to care for, so a tarantula with a little maintenance like extra moisture or something isn't off the table for me.
-Fast growers would be best. i don't think i could make a 30-year commitment with a g.Rosea
-Old or new world doesn't matter

These are all just preferences, any suggestions you guys have that don't meet all of these specifications is perfectly fine. The only requirement that is an absolute must is that it can't kick hairs. Urdicating hairs and strong venom are O.K, but absolutely NO hair kicking!

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
After reading it all, I’d like to recommend not to keep one.

Last edited:

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
I kindof agree with @BoyFromLA, but your alleyway seems to be right on for a C. Darlingi. I don't think I could kill it if I punched it right in the face. It doesn't have hairs to kick, and it eats.everything.I.put.in. Unless it is molting then just leave it alone for a week to, I don't know 3 months? They don't web above ground if kept properly. They do web the tunnels they dig for structural support. Why so set on kicking hairs? Almost all T's don't kick ferociously unless you bother them too much. Not only are Darlingi on the cheap end, their stats= Web -1, Hairs - N/A, Speed +5, Enclosure cost +1, Food cost +1, Lifespan +1, Display -2, Feeding Display +5, Rehouse - Say a couple prayers.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
The only requirement that is an absolute must is that it can't kick hairs. Urdicating hairs and strong venom are O.K, but absolutely NO hair kicking!
You may want to look into NW arboreals, then. They have urticating hairs, but instead of kicking them into the air, they rub them on you if they feel threatened. A. avicularia, C. versicolor...maybe P. cambridgei? Psalmopoeus are fast, and a bite is no fun, but it's not medically significant like OW venom.

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
I went through that and immediately thought c darlingi aswell, I'd also recommend phormingochilus sp rufus off of personal experience.

-doesnt hair(ow)
-constructs a sort of funnel web as a sling if set up properly
-dirt curtains
- immediately grabs whatever I put in the web
-ive rehoused mine twice and the damn thing was so slow and docile that I couldn't get it to bolt out of the cup for 20 minutes straight, and after that i just waited for it to walk into it's new enclosure.
-fairly cheap ( I paid 25CAD)
-they get their adult colours early and are fairly visible as they sit at the entrance of their funnel all day

Again just a personal anecdote, I'm sure others have had different experiences

I'm fine recommending an OW because as a centipede keeper you should be prepared for nasty bites anyways

Sterls

Arachnobaron
The only requirement that is an absolute must is that it can't kick hairs. Urdicating hairs and strong venom are O.K, but absolutely NO hair kicking!
That limits you to old worlds and Psalmopeous/Tapinauchenius. Neither of those options are generally a good beginner species.

If you weren't so set against NW species I'd say get a GBB. It checks off all your boxes except for the urticating hairs. Hair kicking will only happen when you're disturbing them (rehousing mostly), so I wouldn't write off half the species just because they can kick hair.

You may want to look into NW arboreals, then. They have urticating hairs, but instead of kicking them into the air, they rub them on you if they feel threatened. A. avicularia, C. versicolor...maybe P. cambridgei? Psalmopoeus are fast, and a bite is no fun, but it's not medically significant like OW venom.
Only partially true. Avicularia/Caribena have Type II hairs (they need to rub on you), but Psalmos don't have any.

Craig73

Arachnoangel
The last one being the least expensive and shortest lived.

Idiothele mira (fossorial)
Psalmopoeus (several kinds out there) Neoholothele incei

Edit- Might find n. Incei as Holothele incei, the most current name.

Last edited:

RoachCoach

Arachnodemon
The last one being the least expensive and shortest lived.

Idiothele mira (fossorial)
Psalmopoeus (several kinds out there) Neoholothele incei
There are so many options. Don't tempt me. I was just here to answer a few questions

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Im looking for a good first/beginner tarantula to call my own, and I have a few specifications and "requirements"/wants, so i figured there is no better place to ask around than here.

-Not too expensive in upfront and long-term costs, but i'd be willing to dish out a few extra bucks
-Something shy or rarely seen works just fine. The less visible to arachnophobic housemates, the better.
-Something food aggressive, i'd like a reliable eater that won't turn down food before i leave for a week's time.
-I keep a couple centipedes, including an 18cm Scolopendra dehaani, which i find quite easy to care for, so a tarantula with a little maintenance like extra moisture or something isn't off the table for me.
-Fast growers would be best. i don't think i could make a 30-year commitment with a g.Rosea

These are all just preferences, any suggestions you guys have that don't meet all of these specifications is perfectly fine. The only requirement that is an absolute must is that it can't kick hairs. Urdicating hairs and strong venom are O.K, but absolutely NO hair kicking!
Your criteria excludes all NW with setae!

Only a few NW without setae.

Avics don’t kick setae, they rub them on surfaces.

OW- I mira

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
That limits you to old worlds and Psalmopeous/Tapinauchenius.
Not true, Aviculariinae don't kick hairs.

Also, there are several NW species that don't have urticating hairs.

Catumiri spp.
Dolichothele spp.
Holothele spp.
Neoholothele spp.
Pseudoclamoris spp.
Schismatothele spp.

I'm probably missing a bunch more.

Also, Ephebopus have urticating hairs but they're located on the pedipalps and flicked (rather than kicked) at an attacker.

Given the criteria stated, Neoholothele incei literally couldn't be any more perfect.

Reezelbeezelbug

Arachnosquire
Neoholothele incei or Dolichothele diamantinensis. incei are cheaper, but IMO diamantinensis are prettier. Both web, no urticating hairs on either.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
If you weren't so set against NW species I'd say get a GBB.
I also place a vote for Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, obviously they have urticating setae but I have never witnessed mine flick a hair ever, doesn’t mean they don’t do it some but IME they are not extreme ‘Hair kickers’.

Most the other suggestions that have been made I definitely do not recommend for a first T. But a C. cyaneopubescens isn’t a bad first for your little checklist.
Only partially true. He could still get Caribena or Avicularia, as they don't kick hairs. :p
These are also decent choices warranted you read and learn before hand and set the enclosure up properly. If you don’t handle OP then you’ll never have a problem with their type II setae.
Given the criteria stated, Neoholothele incei literally couldn't be any more perfect.
I agree this is a decent choice but their are fast for true beginners, but they literally check all the boxes here.
Neoholothele incei or Dolichothele diamantinensis. incei are cheaper, but IMO diamantinensis are prettier.
Hmmmm idk my Neoholothele incei is pretty damn pretty...!!

I also place votes for other dwarfs like Cyriocosmus spp. they are small so maybe won’t freak out your arachnophobes, they typically aren’t always visible. some spp. Web more than others, never seen them kick hairs abdomen always looks brand new. Fast growers, not super long life spans. Pretty aggressive feeding response for the little tykes they are. IMO super attractive. Not that expensive, enclosure costs are minimal due to size, feeding costs are negligible, a cup of mealworms will feed it for a very long time lol. Cons,initially super small can be nerve wracking for tarantula beginners.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I also place a vote for Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, obviously they have urticating setae but I have never witnessed mine flick a hair ever, doesn’t mean they don’t do it some but IME they are not extreme ‘Hair kickers’.
I think yours is broken because they're notorious hair kickers.

I agree this is a decent choice but their are fast for true beginners, but they literally check all the boxes here.
They're no more difficult than C. cyaneopubescens IME. I find it a touch confusing that people think C. cyaneopubescens are an amazing beginner species but N. incei/D. diamantinensis somehow aren't suitable, thet literally do everything a C. cyaneopubescens does except kick hairs.