Reclusive GBB sling, hardly webbed enclosure

TattoosandTs99

Arachnopeon
Hello all,
I recently picked up a 3/4' GBB and housed her semi-arborealy in a 32oz cup. She webbed behind the cork bark a bit but has not done much else in the web department. She has eaten (a de-headed mealworm) and I have not seen her out of her den basically at all. I know this species is known to be skittish, but I'm still worried because I was expecting her to be bolder and have more webbing. She has only been in this enclosure for a little over a week, but I wanted to know if others had experience with reclusive GBB slings who don't web much? And/or if I'm doing something wrong with the husbandry please let me know. Thanks for all of the support!
IMG_1716.jpeg IMG_1715.jpeg

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I recently picked up a 3/4' GBB and housed her semi-arborealy in a 32oz cup.
1. Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is terrestrial tarantula.
2. It will need some time to settle in. (range from a few days to a few weeks)

I know this species is known to be skittish
It varies to each individual tarantula.

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I recently picked up a 3/4' GBB and housed her semi-arborealy in a 32oz cup.
They're heavy-webbing terrestrials, not "semi-arboreal".

She has only been in this enclosure for a little over a week
Aside from the incorrect setup, this is your main issue. They aren't going to settle in and fill the entire enclosure with webbing in just a week, it can take longer than that just for them to settle in, it'll be weeks/months before you see a significant amount of webbing.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
"Semi-arboreal" is a misconception... They are just more agile than the other classical chubby terrestrials but that's all.

They aren't going to settle in and fill the entire enclosure with webbing in just a week, it can take longer than that just for them to settle in, it'll be weeks/months before you see a significant amount of webbing.
Mine started to web in not even three days :anxious:

Last edited:

TattoosandTs99

Arachnopeon
1. Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens is terrestrial tarantula.
2. It will need some time to settle in. (range from a few days to a few weeks)

It varies to each individual tarantula.
1. You don't capitalize the species name in scientific nomenclature, only the Genus ( Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens ) and I heard that some extra height might be beneficial so that I don't rip the top off of the webbing when I go to feed/ do maintenance. This is my first webbing species, so I probably gave her too much height. Would you recommend I rehouse, or should I give her more anchor points and time to adjust?
2. Okay, I will calm my tits then haha thank you!
3. I'm not sure if the list was intended to be salty but it came across that way lol so I figured I would counter ;) . All jokes aside I really appreciate you taking the time to reply!
They're heavy-webbing terrestrials, not "semi-arboreal".

Aside from the incorrect setup, this is your main issue. They aren't going to settle in and fill the entire enclosure with webbing in just a week, it can take longer than that just for them to settle in, it'll be weeks/months before you see a significant amount of webbing.
I know they are terrestrial, but the setup is "semi-arboreal" in nature (that's what I meant). I know that term doesn't really exist I just though it described the setup, but I see I was mistaken. Thank you for your feedback about settling in. Also, for the setup, I was trying to give her extra room to the web, would you recommend rehousing her at this point? I don't want to stress her unnecessarily. Thank you! It's helpful to hear from real people.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I know they are terrestrial, but the setup is "semi-arboreal" in nature (that's what I meant). I know that term doesn't really exist I just though it described the setup, but I see I was mistaken. Thank you for your feedback about settling in. Also, for the setup, I was trying to give her extra room to the web, would you recommend rehousing her at this point? I don't want to stress her unnecessarily. Thank you! It's helpful to hear from real people.
You're right about being able to give them slightly more vertical space than your average terrestrial but you want to prioritise floor space and anchor points, I would get a rehouse done out of the way as putting it off will cause more stress.

You want to get a 10oz or 16oz deli cup and bang some fake plants in there, you can add a bottle cap water dish in a 16oz, for the 10oz just moisten a small area of substrate and repeat once it dries out.

DSC_0001.jpg

Once it reaches about 1.5" you can upgrade to a small kritter keeper or similar sized plastic tub set up similarly to below (it's my D. diamantinensis setup but the principle is the same).

Heavy Webber setup 1.jpg

Kitara

Arachnodemon
Mine is a GBB in name only. She's pretty much the opposite of the "typical" characteristics. So while what you read is the "average" (heavy webbers, skittish, food aggressive, whatever) is just that. Average. There are always outliers.

TattoosandTs99

Arachnopeon
You're right about being able to give them slightly more vertical space than your average terrestrial but you want to prioritise floor space and anchor points, I would get a rehouse done out of the way as putting it off will cause more stress.

You want to get a 10oz or 16oz deli cup and bang some fake plants in there, you can add a bottle cap water dish in a 16oz, for the 10oz just moisten a small area of substrate and repeat once it dries out.

View attachment 377945

Once it reaches about 1.5" you can upgrade to a small kritter keeper or similar sized plastic tub set up similarly to below (it's my D. diamantinensis setup but the principle is the same).

View attachment 377948
Thank you so much! Lovely pictures!

USNGunner

Arachnosquire
Give it some time. It took 6-8 months and several molts anyway for mine to really get going nuts on webbing. Now that buggar is going nuts. LOL.