Recluse

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pretty much everywhere I've looked on the net, supposedly there are no recluses in the west, only hobos. However, I have found some recluses on the property where i live in oregon. anybody else on the west coast spot recluses here?

:?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
there are other species of loxosceles present. reclusa are down south-ish, but try googling loxo's and see the species and where they are found :D

loxoscelesfear

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There shouldn't be any species of Loxosceles in the northwestern states. L. rufescens is the species showing up anywhere. Can you get a picture of one of the spiders?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
leata is invading from chile and rufescens is from europe. in CA i believe leata is massively out running rufe in the invasion race.

bit of a bummer, too... i play with reclusa... but laeta scares me a bit. it's almost 10 times as massive as reclusa and almost certainly has more human reactive venom and bites.

i've seen both, live, in someone's collection before. reclusa are tiny little things, almost "smaller than the average spider". laeta are almost big enough to be considered a large spider, much less a medium one.

i do not play with laeta =P

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There shouldn't be any species of Loxosceles in the northwestern states. L. rufescens is the species showing up anywhere.
I was going by a note in Spiders of North America 2005, pg 222, where Ubick writes:

Loxosceles laeta is a South American species now known from a few localities on both coasts, including southwestern Canada (Gertsch & Ennik 1983).
That can be updated now after the latest Canada checklist (May, 2010), which has L. laeta in isolated buildings in Ontario, but nowhere in western Canada. At this point I wouldn't say it's impossible some might be in Oregon, but actual specimens from there would be needed in order to confirm that.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
leata is invading from chile and rufescens is from europe. in CA i believe leata is massively out running rufe in the invasion race.

bit of a bummer, too... i play with reclusa... but laeta scares me a bit. it's almost 10 times as massive as reclusa and almost certainly has more human reactive venom and bites.

i've seen both, live, in someone's collection before. reclusa are tiny little things, almost "smaller than the average spider". laeta are almost big enough to be considered a large spider, much less a medium one.

i do not play with laeta =P
Good call! This study cites a 3.7% fatality rate from L. laeta bites around Santiago, Chile. The cause was VCL --viscerocutaneous loxoscelism...basically, prolificred blood-cell destruction and resultant renal failure. Not pretty.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2577020

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i hate things that attack the kidney/liver waste management system. i already had plans for my own attack on them =P

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There shouldn't be any species of Loxosceles in the northwestern states. L. rufescens is the species showing up anywhere. Can you get a picture of one of the spiders?
Unfortunately I don't have a digicam right now. They are definitely "fiddle-backs" though. Only about an inch or so legspan. I found some while collecting cans (on the underside of the can), and I found a bunch of others living alongside black widows under a log.

I will try to see what I can do but right now I only have internet access via library. sorry.

If behavioral notes matter at all, I noticed that these boogers were sort of bobbing up and down on their spindly legs.

Oh, and by the way, I live in the high desert, specifically burns, oregon.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4066/4294916415_440cfd4574_z.jpg?zz=1

They sort of look like this, only very light in coloration, with a dark fiddle marking.

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Good call! This study cites a 3.7% fatality rate from L. laeta bites around Santiago, Chile. The cause was VCL --viscerocutaneous loxoscelism...basically, prolificred blood-cell destruction and resultant renal failure. Not pretty.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2577020
you know that's like 5-10x the mortality rate of Phoneutria bites? and yet we don't have huge poo storms about laeta like we do virtually any time someone posts about Pho

way to be informed, hobby =P

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In central OR? I don't dispute that there may be a stray population, but that's pretty far N & W of their range, isn't it?
Yep, that is pretty far out of their range. Wasn't sure of his location. But...recluses should be out of his range too...

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i hate things that attack the kidney/liver waste management system. i already had plans for my own attack on them =P
Lol!

you know that's like 5-10x the mortality rate of Phoneutria bites? and yet we don't have huge poo storms about laeta like we do virtually any time someone posts about Pho

way to be informed, hobby =P
Yeah, exactly! It's so ridiculous. The hullabaloo about Phoneutria is really just unfounded stigma, mixed with fear of its potential matrix-moves and speed (even though it's a sit-and-wait defender mostly).

But yeah, I wouldn't want to mess with an L. laeta. VCL is an ugly way to go, and 3.7% was just the actual mortality rate. The occurrence rate of VCL caused by L.laeta was 15.7%...which is 1 out of 6.4 bites. 15% is the fatality rate from Russian roulette, when using a 6-chambered revolver.

The Spider Faery

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I wasn't aware that Loxosceles were invading Ontario buildings, yikes!

Last edited:

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No, they are light colored with very spindly/thin skinny legs, almost like a cellar spider, but with a fiddle mark, and small, about an inch leg-span, perhaps a bit more. I'll ask a friend about their digital camera I noticed at their place, but then I don't have a memory card converter either, arggh. They seem to be staying put under that log, so maybe I'll get a picture on here this month.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
But yeah, I wouldn't want to mess with an L. laeta. VCL is an ugly way to go, and 3.7% was just the actual mortality rate. The occurrence rate of VCL caused by L.laeta was 15.7%...which is 1 out of 6.4 bites. 15% is the fatality rate from Russian roulette, when using a 6-chambered revolver.
Are these stats based on human testing? Because I just dont believe that there could possibly be enough confirmed loxo bites to even dream up such numbers. Just bad science ..period. Down there, Id gladly handle any loxo found over cutting myself on some dirty glass and sticking my hand in any old puddle of water. :rolleyes:

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Like this?

http://flnature.org/photos/Kukulcani...ee,_200106.jpg

--a male Kukulcania hibernalis
ahhhh... yes the darned male kuks ...been a few times now that ive spotted that huge loxo ive been looking for in my area and it turned out to be some dumb super mature male kuk!!

Last edited:

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Managed to get some pictures of this tiny lady, not without some exhilaration on my part. She decided during the photo shoot to bolt across the carpet through the living room and let me tell you I am amazed how quick she is! Like a streak of lightning! :eek:

I'm not usually skittish of spiders at all, but this girl, something about her, makes me nervous. Could be just the idea of her being a recluse. Could be how quick she is on her feet (minus one, I think she's missing a leg, but she still didn't miss a beat).

So I'm trying to place some attachments on here, and though they aren't the best pictures I can try to enhance these or try to get some better shots, but she's a little unpredictable. She'll sit very still for some time, and then out of nowhere she'll bolt!

So pictures are on the way. As soon as I can attach them.

Attachments