Recently got a phiddiphus apacheanus how much moisture do i need e

anabelharruson

Arachnopeon
I recently got it and I'm not sure how much to mist the enclosure.
He was listed as an an unsexed pre adult and I am also wondering how to tell the gender it has blue ish green metallic coulerd fangs and yellow pedipalps.

Although it is summer i live in England and the temperatures don't get very high i don't want to overheat him but if he doesn't feell the sun he stays in his web i don't want to leave him in the sun because I'm worried he will overheat but I don't want to not put him in the sun and get too cold what should i do ??

Attachments

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
People say jumping spiders need good moisture, I don't recommend misting the enclosure every day because the water in the substrate can give ambient humidity.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
It's hard to tell the difference between male and female when they're very young. Mature males will have a solid colored (red/orange/yellow) abdomen, while adult females will have a black stripe running most of the length of the abdomen. If it is over 1/2" (1.5cm) body length it is likely female, though, as males are smaller. As for moisture, I wouldn't concern myself with keeping the enclosure very moist or humid - these are hardy and adapt to a variety of habitats, though they're common in more arid ones (scrub brush high desert, grassy plains, etc.). Spray the enclosure lightly a couple times per week just to provide some water for it to drink, but don't saturate the substrate. It should do fine at temperatures in the low to mid 70's F. If you find you're having trouble keeping it that warm, try putting it up on a shelf that is higher up in the room as warm air rises and it'll be a bit warmer up high.

anabelharruson

Arachnopeon
It's hard to tell the difference between male and female when they're very young. Mature males will have a solid colored (red/orange/yellow) abdomen, while adult females will have a black stripe running most of the length of the abdomen. If it is over 1/2" (1.5cm) body length it is likely female, though, as males are smaller. As for moisture, I wouldn't concern myself with keeping the enclosure very moist or humid - these are hardy and adapt to a variety of habitats, though they're common in more arid ones (scrub brush high desert, grassy plains, etc.). Spray the enclosure lightly a couple times per week just to provide some water for it to drink, but don't saturate the substrate. It should do fine at temperatures in the low to mid 70's F. If you find you're having trouble keeping it that warm, try putting it up on a shelf that is higher up in the room as warm air rises and it'll be a bit warmer up high.
Will try the height thing thanks for the tips on gender think it could be a girl but ill wait until its an adult to know for sure