recent molt from m balfouri

Smileyboy

Arachnopeon
hello everyone, found one of my fav ts in some new skin. you can see the big size difference between the 2 sibs. The smaller sling seems to be the faster grower, but right after the recent molt the second one out grew his sibling. Abit small for me to sex 100% so i thought i could ask for peoples opinion. let me know wat gender you think the sling is.

thanks have a wonderful day

Attachments

louise f

Arachnoangel
Nice ones:) you will have to take a close up pic of that molt, can`t really see anything from that distance:)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Agreed, the photo is pretty rough, but I'd go with female as well. Looks like the shadow of girl parts to me. But let's just say that there's a 50% chance that I'm wrong.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I'd say both pics look female. Then again I am looking at a tiny phone screen so not 100%

Great looking Ts tho. What size are the roughly?

Smileyboy

Arachnopeon
I'd say both pics look female. Then again I am looking at a tiny phone screen so not 100%

Great looking Ts tho. What size are the roughly?
thanks everyone, i also think its female. if its a for sure female i would be over the moon. cant say it enough, this is my fav species of tarantulas.
they are 2.75-3in. again thanks everyone

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
sadly i destroyed the molt, i got a close up.
That's not close enough. Look at the sexing forums to get an idea of how much mag we need for an iD.

Also, that species is sexually dimorphic so at some point in the future you will easily know which one is the male after it molts w/out looking at a molt.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
That species is sexually dimorphic so at some point in the future you will easily know which one is the male after it molts w/out looking at a molt.
Agreed. If you are going to shell out for a M. Balfouri at early colouration then would be careful when picking specimens. Don't get one with the more blue legs :rolleyes:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Agreed. If you are going to shell out for a M. Balfouri at early colouration then would be careful when picking specimens. Don't get one with the more blue legs :rolleyes:
Depends on the gender you want haha. Blue carapace is found on males.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Depends on the gender you want haha. Blue carapace is found on males.
Isn't it in both? I thought I saw a blue carapace female somewhere.

I guess you cant go wrong anyway, both are one of the most beautiful baboons:D

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Isn't it in both? I thought I saw a blue carapace female somewhere.

I guess you cant go wrong anyway, both are one of the most beautiful baboons:D
The breeder who bred mine (a couple batches too) told me only males (mature to be specific) have the blue carapace. I haven't seen a female with a bright blue carapace as I've seen in males. I have seen females (assuming proper identification with obvious blue tint). If wrong, I'd like to know!

I found this from a few years ago, unknown if there is new info, perhaps we are both wrong.

There seems to be some consensus that males are brighter blue, at least in one case a guy reports his female has blue creaping up the legs where only males are "supposed" to be blue, sadly no pic.

Have to read the whole thread

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/minor-sexual-dimorphism-in-monocentropus-balfouri.213953/page-2

I found this as well http://www.tarantupedia.com/eumenophorinae/monocentropus/monocentropus-balfouri

It's like U2 sang "With or Without Blue" ;)

Last edited:

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Males get the deep navy blue carapace. The females have a lighter blue, like stonewashed denim.

Here's a pic for comparison. She's nowhere near as intense, but still has a hint of blue. 116.JPG

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Shine a light through the back of that molt and see if you can see the shadow of important parts more clearly. Or use a jeweler's loupe or something to magnify it. I don't see anything that says "girl" to me, but I also keep trying to zoom the pic without success, lol...

Smileyboy

Arachnopeon
thanks everyone, sadly i threw out the molt. while opening it up i ripped it abit. now i have to wait for its next molt to find out for sure. hopefully i have a 1.1, but i still have to wait a while before breeding anyways so for now ill just watch them grow. the one that just molted seemed to be 3in or so, maybe another year before it matures if female.