Recanted Opinion, and apology

Kat Maehl

Arachnopeon
I'm not going to get all soppy and gush.

I just want to say I'm sorry for both my behavior, my stubbornness to do whatever I wanted and not heed the advice of the people around me, who of course. Know far more than I did at the time.

After much time and consideration, I've come to the conclusion that hybrids are not as cool as I thought. I apologize for being so stubborn about it.
I want to be a part of this community, and I would like to move forward from this, and let you all know you were right. I will in future work on accepting advice without buts, ands or excuses.

I hope this can clear some things up, and I can continue to show my face on these boards :)

Regardless, I'll still spam you with pictures of my lovelies.

Best wishes.

BishopiMaster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lets just hope the social justice crowd doesnt mental gymipulate hybrid t's under the pretense of arachnid identity politics.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
OP I've not been on the boards long enough to have witnessed your self confessed behaviour, but it is humbling to hear these words, as for hybrid T's it's a no no, we want to keep the hobby as pure as possible, no hybrids means we could have had a lot more true B. Albo's(Nicaraguan) for example, keeping the hobby pure is in all our interests.

Jason B

Arachnosquire
I'm glad to hear you changed your mind on hybrids. I can now get rid of the mental image I had of a super villan trying to create an army of hybrids.

user 666

Arachnobaron
The only thing wrong with your idea is that you wanted to cross two tarantula species. Now, if you wanted to cross a tarantula and a beagle, you would have our full support.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I don't think producing hybrids is so bad, but selling/passing them off as another species is very bad for our hobby. If we could of avoided that altogether we probably would look at this with more of an open mind. If I had the funds, I would gladly open up a lab and study the effects of hybridization, I'd even create some interesting hybrids for a scientific purpose, oh and my personal curiosity of course. ;)

You know how they created the lion/tiger hybrid, it's known as a liger, well something caused the animal to have increased growth and well basically the liger was double the size of his parents.
Could you imagine crafting a hybrid between T.stirmi and T.blondi resulting in a 20 inch spider, that would be a groundbreaking discovery, if they did it with felines who's to say it can't be done with arachnids?

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I don't think producing hybrids is so bad, but selling/passing them off as another species is very bad for our hobby. If we could of avoided that altogether we probably would look at this with more of an open mind. If I had the funds, I would gladly open up a lab and study the effects of hybridization, I'd even create some interesting hybrids for a scientific purpose, oh and my personal curiosity of course. ;)

You know how they created the lion/tiger hybrid, it's known as a liger, well something caused the animal to have increased growth and well basically the liger was double the size of his parents.
Could you imagine crafting a hybrid between T.stirmi and T.blondi resulting in a 20 inch spider, that would be a groundbreaking discovery, if they did it with felines who's to say it can't be done with arachnids?
I believe another issue with what was happening was that she also planned on releasing them into the wild.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Welcome back, OP. We're happy to have you. Not many people would or have made posts like this, and it shows a lot of maturity.

Did you intentionally pick one of the worst possible examples? Ligers are an abomination. Here's a little info for you: https://bigcatrescue.org/liger-facts/

Ghost56

Arachnobaron

I believe another issue with what was happening was that she also planned on releasing them into the wild.
Lets not discuss this in this thread. OP has comeback and done the right thing, so lets keep the thread on track with that.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Lets not discuss this in this thread. OP has comeback and done the right thing, so lets keep the thread on track with that.
I wasnt trying to start anything back up, i just didnt want any information left out. Sorry if it came off bad! I too am thrilled that OP is back and willing to learn. Just took a huge step forward :)

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I wasnt trying to start anything back up, i just didnt want any information left out. Sorry if it came off bad! I too am thrilled that OP is back and willing to learn. Just took a huge step forward :)
No no not all, I understand. Just figured I'd nudge everyone back on topic before others hopped in and started a big debate lol.

CALovett

Arachnopeon
Nobody is without fault and everyone makes mistakes; it's how we handle our faults and mistakes that defines us.

Having said that, this post seems like a lovely definition for you, Kat.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
@Thistles I think you misunderstood my post, I wasn't aware of the back story behind liger breeding, but why the dislike? I was just using that as a comparison, not claiming to be some liger breeding supporter, so that link is not relevant...
This hobby is a very selfish one, we all keep arachnids based on personal preferences, their traits like color, size, we buy them to entertain ourselves. I can't dream about the possibility of genetically engineered super spiders?

In that case theres everything wrong with experimenting and making new discoveries. You'd be surprised how science is nearly always linked to the suffering of animals, as they are primarily used as test subjects. We're happy to take medicine that we know is safe, even though it was tested on helpless animals, who were caged and kept poorly.

As far as the ligers are concerned, all of those animals were brought into this world and given life, cruelty is largely subjective. Do you truly believe the breeders intentionally brought these animals to life only to see them suffer?
No I don't think so, they wanted to make money, and I agree with you that continuing this process is not something I would support.

I could argue keeping tigers and lions in captivity for our amusement is cruel and immoral. Are you going to support breeding lions and tigers in captivity, or would you rather they bring in WC cats? Where do we draw the line? I can't make a comparison on something so arbitrary as the size increase due to hybridization?

mconnachan

Arachnoprince

But it is now dead, due to the hybridisation, they don't have the muscle mass to lead a good life, rather than if they were bread with sp. of their own kind. I'm sure hybrids occur in the wild as sometimes the urge to mate overcomes all other senses and it would most likely be an evolutionary thing as well.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Yeah, but when ligers are created, they don't tend to be born in groups of 800-1000, so it's pretty different in terms of how the offspring are managed.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I'm not going to get all soppy and gush.

I just want to say I'm sorry for both my behavior, my stubbornness to do whatever I wanted and not heed the advice of the people around me, who of course. Know far more than I did at the time.

After much time and consideration, I've come to the conclusion that hybrids are not as cool as I thought. I apologize for being so stubborn about it.
I want to be a part of this community, and I would like to move forward from this, and let you all know you were right. I will in future work on accepting advice without buts, ands or excuses.

I hope this can clear some things up, and I can continue to show my face on these boards :)

Regardless, I'll still spam you with pictures of my lovelies.

Best wishes.
Glad to hear. Welcome back.

cold blood

Staff member
I don't think producing hybrids is so bad, but selling/passing them off as another species is very bad for our hobby
but why the dislike?
Just that line I quoted above made me think about giving a dislike.

Creating them is the problem.
Yeah, but when ligers are created, they don't tend to be born in groups of 800-1000, so it's pretty different in terms of how the offspring are managed.
Yeah, but this is a 100% man made concoction, as Lions are from Africa and tigers are from Siberia and Asia...If they are crossing paths, its because they are using their frequent flier miles.