Reasons for keeping

Lessej

Arachnopeon
I'm looking for some perspectives on why people chose to start keeping scorpions and also why people chose the start keeping "hot" scorpions. Additionally, what kind of reasoning could/did you give your significant other for wanting to bring a "hot" scorpion into a home with a child?

I'm in the process of searching for my first scorpion(s) to buy on the classifieds here, and for now I'm looking to start with something simple, perhaps in the Hadogenes or Heterometrus genus. Just curious how others got into the hobby and what they told people that asked them about it! :D

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
i always liked weird creatures, if they are predatory, all the better. i love seeing how they adapt to their enclosures as well. i like their appearance as well.

Christianb96

Arachnoknight
i got into the hobby because i though a scorpion would be a cool pet with little up keep, and id only have one. 5 months later i have 17 with many plans for more as well as several breeding projects. Hot scorpions to me seem to be way more active and fun to watch, of course you need to be extremly cautious around them (any scorpion really) if i had a child, the heating cabinet where i keep most of my scorpions would have a lock.

Lessej

Arachnopeon
i always liked weird creatures, if they are predatory, all the better. i love seeing how they adapt to their enclosures as well. i like their appearance as well.
Me too; at least with tarantulas so far!

i got into the hobby because i though a scorpion would be a cool pet with little up keep, and id only have one. 5 months later i have 17 with many plans for more as well as several breeding projects. Hot scorpions to me seem to be way more active and fun to watch, of course you need to be extremly cautious around them (any scorpion really) if i had a child, the heating cabinet where i keep most of my scorpions would have a lock.
Thats a good idea about a locked cabinet! Heck, might even be easier to keep them warm all at once without tons of heat lamps ha ha.

Stugy

Arachnolord
I keep scorpions because I've always had a fascination with them. When I moved to the U.S. I finally had a chance to get a scorpion but ended up delaying it for like 3-4 years. I've been in the hobby of scorpions for about a year and have had 6 scorpions so far. :) When it comes to hot scorpions, I do not really have a significant other or children lol. If I did then I would most likely have a specific room (or large cabinet) with a lock for them.

Rugg the bug man

Arachnoknight
Started keeping scorpions cuz my gf at the time worked at a pet store and brought 1 home cuz I was afraid of them. Next thing you know it's a year later and I had a room full of them. As for keeping "Hots" my 2nd scorp was a P. transvaalicus cuz it was the only other 1 that they had at the pet store. Once I conquered that fear I was hooked. No human kids but I guess 5 nosey ass cats and a puppy is close so I keep my vert/reptile room locked when I'm not around

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
My reason is that they are amazing to watch adapt, and there are so many different and cool species. I kept T's when I saw a juvie female H. paucidens at a local reptile show. Now I have 8 scorps, all relatively cool species. Just the look and size of the Hadogenes species are the coolest IMO. As for your question about hots, if I had to convince my Mom, I'd say that so long as I never put my hand in the tank and never put myself in the situation where I could get stung, then they are easily contained. Can't climb smooth surfaces ;) I have inverts and a brother, and he hates the inverts. That's just me though :D

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Tremendous love and respect for the animals, fascination with their mannerisms and features, and also a tribute to my late uncle Frank who is the first person I ever knew to keep pet scorpions.

I wish he was around today to see my collection.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
An impulse buy over 2 years ago. Ran into gromgrom at a local reptile show holding a 16 oz deli w/h tiny C. gracilis inside. After being reassured that I was more than capable of keeping them, I purchased a group.
I now keep 13 species, C. gracilis communal, and began keeping "hots", P. maximus the first. Last year, my 1st brood was H. spinifer and now have a gravid H. paucidens. :)

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I've been fascinated with them since I was a kid. Finding them near my house under rocks was a thrill and to this day I get the same thrill. A creature with 400 million year roots is something special. I have gone as "hot" as some Tityus species but anything of that nature I keeps in locked enclosures and use extra precautions.

GingerC

Arachnosquire
I got a scorpion because they're awesome. I'm mostly interested in my scorpion for its own sake- its behavior, watching how it moves, and the joys of raising it- but I also like having pets around and I enjoy taking care of them. My mom doesn't like pets much at all (which is completely understandable), so I keep animals that don't damage the furniture, vocalize, or poop everywhere.

Large arachnids are where she draws the line; if I had asked her before obtaining a scorpion, there's no way she would have agreed to it, but now that I actually have one, she likes it so much that she literally sings to it.

I only want one scorpion for now; at the moment, I want to have a variety of animals so that I can find what I like most. I may get a tankmate for it at one point, though.

scorps

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I grew up in a household full of exotic pets. My dad was huge with reptiles, and because of that so am I. That extended onto scorpions once I got older. As far as "hot" scorpions go, I get a bit of a rush from danger. But I find them fascinating as well. My fiance is open to all my hobbies, so long as it's regulated :p I am supposed to keep the "hot" ones in a separate room. but thats about it.

alex346

Arachnopeon
reason for keeping: I went to the LPS to get roaches for my tarantulas, I saw they had 3 scorpions, one on a tank by herself and I felt sorry... I told my wife it followed me home.