Really Outdated/Bad Pacman Frog Information That Needs Updating

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I'm just going to say it... Pacman Frog information out there is either very outdated, bad, or wrong. I'm not an "expert" with pacman frogs, but I at least am experienced with them to understand foundations and the range of information from accurate to inaccurate. There are lots of bad or misinformed information out there online and it's sad to see them. If there are two things pacman frog information needs to change on it would be "husbandry" and "morphs". It's really bizarre how some people just be popping off random morph names when it's really not anything too special from another morph. Or how people house new baby pacman froglets into 10 gallon tanks, which is absurdly crazy regarding enclosure size when a 10 gallon is for an "adult" pacman frog. The Frog Forums isn't as active anymore, but I'm surprised how some of them recommend heat lamps or heating lights when it's really not necessary if room temps are high enough.

My Tip: 10 gallon tanks are for "adult" pacman frogs and not young or baby baby pacman frogs.

I won't be making a "proper" how to care for a pacman frog thread, because pacman frog husbandry is still in debate despite how long they've been around in the hobby. But if anyone has good tips, factual information, or experienced information in regards to morphs or husbandry, I'll be glad to hear some on this thread.

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
Agreed. I constantly see posts of froglets swimming in massive ten gallon tanks being cooked under ceramic heaters. It’s a shame how they have become an almost disposable pet.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Agreed. I constantly see posts of froglets swimming in massive ten gallon tanks being cooked under ceramic heaters. It’s a shame how they have become an almost disposable pet.
Swimming? Shouldn't they be in deep moist substrate? At least that's how I had mine 20 years ago...LOL!

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
Hey dude, why not do a you tube video explaining the do's and don'ts for Pacman husbandry.
Bad information isn't just for Pacman frogs. Last night whilst researching other things I found a very official looking tarantula care page that recommended a 20 gal or bigger aquarium tank for tarantulas - no specific species was named they just all go into 20 gal + sized tanks apparently.

EpicEpic

Arachnoangel
Hey dude, why not do a you tube video explaining the do's and don'ts for Pacman husbandry.
Bad information isn't just for Pacman frogs. Last night whilst researching other things I found a very official looking tarantula care page that recommended a 20 gal or bigger aquarium tank for tarantulas - no specific species was named they just all go into 20 gal + sized tanks apparently.
Wild. Very few species will ever NEED anything close to as big!

Gurantula

Arachnosquire
I've been researching pacman frogs a lot recently. They were suggested to me as a frog which will help me get rid of some cricket overflow I have from breeding crickets. They are super interesting! Anyways, I do agree that there appears to be a lot of misinformation out there, mainly on the internet. YouTube has videos of people who have had a pacman frog for less than a month and they already are an expert (spare a few good ones). It blows my mind that people will take a few weeks of experience, coupled with whatever research they have done and make a video pretending to know what they are talking about. Since when did research alone mean more than actual experience?!

So just yesterday I was at an independent pet store that use to work with reptiles, but has not since the early 2000s. They still kept all the care books they sold and lo and behold I found a horned frog care book. It was copyrighted 1990. The store just gave it to me haha. Anyways, most of the information in it was exactly as @Liquifin have been posting (I've read through most of the threads you reply to) on this forum for awhile on pacman frogs. Only big exception was coco coir is not a thing back then (?). Got me thinking that the proper care information has always been there, it's just people dont take pacmans seriously and end up sending misinformation out via the internet. I say grab a book my friends! Lol.

Here is the simple care book I got. I'd be happy to paraphrase any husbandry info the book has to offer.

20200714_073735.jpg

basin79

ArachnoGod
For me damp eco earth made damp with conditioned water. Doesn't need to be crazy deep. 2 x the thickness of the frog. Shallow water dish (conditioned water). Can use fake plants to provide cover or cover some of the enclosure to give the frog a dark corner.

I know the foam/filter floss/paper towel set ups are the most sterile bit keeping a frog that burrows like that is the same as giving a Pelinobius muticus an inch of sub.

Eco earth or similar as moss peat is slightly acidic.