Really awkward Molt - Urgent

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I discovered my G. Pulchra this afternoon in a very weird molting position, on her side with her legs folded very far back. I'm worried she is either already dead, or can't move because of her low burrow. Should I leave her be or try to carefully lift up her 'cave' (It is solid, not just dirt) Do you think she can get out of such a position okay?

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Leave her alone. Even if she's having problems, if you mess with her, you will make it worse. Be patient and let her try to resolve this. If you see no progress in the molt process, then you've nothing to loose. For now, just watch.

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just wait and watch, see if it can move before disturbing it. Sometimes T's will molt in rather tight quarters, you'd think they wouldnt be able to, but then they do it anyway.

hcsk8ter

Arachnopeon
They can molt in their burrows just fine. The T knows its body better than anyone so if it chose to molt there, I'm sure it has sufficient space.

On the other hand, I have seen Tarantulas die in a molt. A molt is very stressful, therefore a T is always most succeptible in a molt situation. If the T died or is dying it would be difficult to tell, because when they die in a molt they dont go into their ordinary "death pose" with legs bent underneath.

In fact they usually look like they were trying to shed the skin but for one reason or another could not finish the act.

If you are really worried, take a paint brush or Q-Tip and very gently touch it to the T's leg or legs to see if a response is given. But at no point try to move the T because the skin is very soft and they are fragile during a molt.

Please update us as to the status of your G. Pulchra. I pray she pulls through. No doubt, she is special to you and I'm sure she cost you a pretty penny as well. I myself am getting one this week, a female!

Fingers crossed. Good Luck!

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
... I'm going to strangle her if I can find a way.

The 'stuck bug' was in fact an awkwardly stuck molted 'skin'. I noticed another leg ever so timidly poking out of the burrow at an angle that was physically impossible for her to do. The leg then withdrew, and I saw another foot...

She is probably fine, tucked away in a corner, and got me in a panic over nothing. I feel like quite the dolt right now...

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
... And to top it off, my guaranteed female got a sex change.

Sigh...

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I guess that's not so bad. Time to start reading up on correct shipping of Ts and post that I have a male up for breeding.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I discovered my G. Pulchra this afternoon in a very weird molting position, on her side with her legs folded very far back. I'm worried she is either already dead, or can't move because of her low burrow. Should I leave her be or try to carefully lift up her 'cave' (It is solid, not just dirt) Do you think she can get out of such a position okay?

what is the common name for your tarantula?

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Brazilian Black. And all is good now, even if the little bugger did a gender swap on me.