Reality Shows & Spiders

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I thought the attached cartoon was funny, but it does bring up a disturbing concern. What effects do the new reality shows have on people's attitudes toward spiders? I've only watched one edition of Fear Factor and it didn't have any spiders, but I have been told by others that spiders show up every now and then, either as "food" items or as something to allow to crawl on the participants. I wonder if these shows might increase people's unreasonable fears of the many harmless spiders, including Ts. Any thoughts anyone?

Bryan

Attachments

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Just my 2 cents - "reality" shows are the latest in a long line of worthless programming that rots peoples brains, show case the worst of our gene pool, and have very little to do with "reality". If you have nothing better to do than sit glued in front of the TV night after night, staring with rapt attention and genuine interest while people scream like babies at the sight of hissing roaches or try to screw someone elses significant other or get screamed at by a drill sergant (and all this I have gleaned from just the "sensational" commercials advertising this trash) then you have no life worth living.

Gail

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I actualy stirred up a pile of shiznit over the fear factor tarantula and scorpion episodes.

I think they painted a very misleading picture of them and made them out to be monsters... not to mention the fact that they glorified the fact that some of the tarantulas were killing one another.

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Which species of Tarantula did they use in fear factor

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gail
Just my 2 cents - "reality" shows are the latest in a long line of worthless programming that rots peoples brains, show case the worst of our gene pool, and have very little to do with "reality". If you have nothing better to do than sit glued in front of the TV night after night, staring with rapt attention and genuine interest while people scream like babies at the sight of hissing roaches or try to screw someone elses significant other or get screamed at by a drill sergant (and all this I have gleaned from just the "sensational" commercials advertising this trash) then you have no life worth living.
Whoa, did we hit a sensitive spot? =D

I couldn't agree with you more. They don't define my reality. What a fantasy world!

Bryan

bness2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Chris
not to mention the fact that they glorified the fact that some of the tarantulas were killing one another.
Can you believe it? Tarantulas actually act like people sometimes. ;P ;P Do people really think we are the only species that kill one another? Go figure.

People have enough fear of Ts and Scorps without Fear Factor making it worse. I can't count the times people's first comment about my Ts is "Aren't they deadly poisonous?" The second most common comment is, "Don't they bite?" They better watch out, I bit too. ;P

Bryan

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
From what I read, one episode of Fear Factor here in the U.S. used G. rosea, while the European version of the show used P. murinus "Usumbara" that had been cooled down.

And I hate reality shows as well -- primarily because they aren't reality, they're reality edited, sequenced and set to music.

Adrian

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think most reality shows are completely scripted. Especially Survivor.

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
bah

why watch reality shows when I have all classic 27 episodes of the advanced dungoens and dragons cartoon in mint shape (thanks ebay)

f*&k reality shows and double f*&k any show that would allow T's to kill one another for no good reason other then to have some chick with big boobies win some cash cause shes sooooo brave.

bah!
loosey

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey...the recent Survivor is in Thailand right ?...damn...shoulda went there and really give them a run for their money...

I watched with my sis (devoted fan) an episode where they lost a fishing net?? it was set up out to sea?....i mean...i have those nets and i make a mean catch when we go campin....and all i do is set it up from the breakers...which is how that net is used...i mean...if u wanna be a survivor, at least have some 'basic' skills right?...like thinking maybe....i find that a usefull skill sometimes...

Damn i hate that series.....

sorry ppl...i fish a LOT, so simple mistakes like that just get to me...