Ready to mate?

ZGuy

Arachnopeon
I have a female A. seemanni. How can I tell if she is ready to mate?

Last edited:

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
She will make a phantom egg sack deep in her burrow and bring it up to the top of enclosure to show you. She will give you the 1,000 yard stare and you will know she is in fact ready to go.

To be honest I don't know and can't give you an honest answer to question but you could get lucky and she drops a phantom sack thus letting you know she's ready. Happened to me twice with same tarantula in picture.

Attachments

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
If you have a molt, you can check to see if the spermatheca are darkened. If they're a dark brown color, she should be able to mate

EnigmaNyx

Arachnoknight
I have a female A. seemanni. How can I tell if she is ready to mate?
As the milk travels to her utters, you'll begin to see them swell. Throw the sourest candy you have access to right next to her, if she's pregnant, she'll devour it.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Guys, c'mon. :rofl: In reality OP like @coolnweird said already, you'll know your female is mature and ready to go when the spermathecae are scleritised, which you can only see with a moult. Layman's terms that means that the spermethecae are darker in colour from a juvenile's. I don't mean to look down on the young or anything but I'm wondering why a 13 year old would want to breed tarantulas. Would you be ready to house the possible 100+ slings that would result from a pairing? Find people to buy your resulting slings?