Ready to kick ass and take names!

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I recently order and recieved a queen bald faced hornet from a member on this board. Apparently he took better care of it than he thought as when I got her she was ready to kick ass and take names! :eek: We will see how long it takes for her to master moving about in an clear cage: Note she hgas three different food dishes and a log with splintery wood at the bottom of her cage, first dish water, second honey, third wax worms. Lets hope she settles in. :worship: {D :razz:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/Tleilaxu/Bugz/000_2323.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/Tleilaxu/Bugz/000_2330.jpg

THANKS!

Last edited:

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
NO one is wanting to know why I have these or comment on how cool they are or how weird I am...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/Tleilaxu/000_2331.jpg

THIS one sent me for a 30 minute chase around the house... and once caught acted like nothing happened and went straight to the food dish. :D

This is a temp house BTW as the main one I broke by accident...

DavidRS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm sure they are interesting, but hornets and wasps scare the crap out of me.:eek:

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I see some nice wasps in my garden. They look bluish with yellow markings. How do I catch them without causing injury?

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There was once a huuuuuuge queen stuck to the grill of my car...Other than that all I see are honey bees and yellow jackets around my area. Your queen is beautiful though.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I see some nice wasps in my garden. They look bluish with yellow markings. How do I catch them without causing injury?
Use a large container and place it over the wasp than once it flies into the contain er shut the lid quickly, they always go up.

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dang, that's pretty neat. When I go to the Smokey Mountains, which is 45 minutes away from us we see all kinds of bees. There's these bees which I thought was a queen when I first moved down here to Tennessee as the size of your pinky if not a bit bigger. My brother and I caught one and you can feel how hard it hit the lid trying to get out. There's a lot of things I find up there, huge centipedes, my mom found a Brown Recluse, and of course, huge bear and other animal skulls :D

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
NO one is wanting to know why I have these or comment on how cool they are or how weird I am...
Actually I asked what you were doing with these in the other thread. I can see now you are planning on watching the queen make a nest without the fear of being stung on the face. Kudos for the idea. I was always the one that picked up the hornets with my hand and took them back outside instead of killing them. It never occured to me to try and make them captives, good luck with this. I'll be taking notes on your progress.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When I read about the huge queen on the car grill and ..."as big as your pinky.." I'm thinking that might have been a Cicada Killer, don't know the sci name.

Dang, that's pretty neat. When I go to the Smokey Mountains, which is 45 minutes away from us we see all kinds of bees. There's these bees which I thought was a queen when I first moved down here to Tennessee as the size of your pinky if not a bit bigger. My brother and I caught one and you can feel how hard it hit the lid trying to get out. There's a lot of things I find up there, huge centipedes, my mom found a Brown Recluse, and of course, huge bear and other animal skulls :D
Hey Johnduh, how big are the centipedes you say you've seen up there? I've read a story/rumor about someone finding a large centipede up there. What do they look like? I don't know of a species over there that is known to get really big but like I said, I read something about it on the net a long time ago. When you say big, do you mean around 3 inches, or 7+ inches? Centipedes are interesting to me and I keep several. I'm keeping an open mind to bug stories that sound kind of crazy because you never know.

Looking forward to seeing if you are able to get something going with these wasps! I think most people don't consider attempting what you are because we are taught to run away from these dudes! It's just their stinger that has gotten in the way. Curious to see how you are going to handle it all.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am too the southern hornet had a major mishaps and fell in her honey dish during the night. I have tried cleaning her off, but she does not look too good right now, the next 24 hourse are going to be critical.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That queen I was talking about was at least 3"-3.5" long from head to sting. She had black bands on her abdomen but the rest of her was a creamy yellow color.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
May have been a cicada killer but we really need pics for an ID. As for the southern yellowjacket she died. :(

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My brother found a centipede that was all brown the size of my finger, I'm 16 so it's not really a giant centipede but it was kind of big. They're pretty quick too when you lift a log or rock up. I'll try to see if I still have pictures.

Waspman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
May have been a cicada killer but we really need pics for an ID. As for the southern yellowjacket she died. :(
Southern yellowjackets can be parasitic and don't last long when in captivity depending on the conditions (a transplanted nest would probably fare better). Mine only lasted two days after getting them through hibernation last year. I'd say they are not good at all for a project like this.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
True but she fell in her honey and got covered, I think that was the deciding factor... Anyway she was really active until that incident.

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well the bald faced hornet queen died today. She apparently snagged her foot on something and could not get free. Unfortunetly I was not there to help, I can conclude that hornets do not make good captives, the paper wasp on the other hand is doing fine.

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You should concider, taking a baby food jar, inverting it with some honey, and poking small holes let it sit so the honey stops dripping for bit of course, but after wards you would have a safer way to give them sugar. Just a thought! Then you wont have drowned wasps.