Ready to breed?

kevin88

Arachnopeon
My female B. smithi just molted this morning and was curious if she is big enough to breed. I know she is on the small side but I want some opinions before I look for a male.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks
Kevin

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is a perfect size . Im sorry , but that has to be the most BEAUTIFUL smithi I have ever seen ! Seriously !

Satanika

She Who Rules AKA Thread Killer
Staff member
That is a perfect size . <snip>!
Humor me this, with absolutely NO breeding experience (by your own admission), how can you possibly suggest what is or is not a "perfect size" for breeding? :wall:

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Humor me this, with absolutely NO breeding experience (by your own admission), how can you possibly suggest what is or is not a "perfect size" for breeding? :wall:
Because the spider is 5.5" if streached out probably . A tarantula can be bred if its 75% of its adult size , and thats about 85% it looks like .

Satanika

She Who Rules AKA Thread Killer
Staff member
Because the spider is 5.5" if streached out probably . A tarantula can be bred if its 75% of its adult size , and thats about 85% it looks like .
Why am I not surprised that you (and apparently another) totally missed the point. I never said your information was right or wrong. I mean, if I parroted others that knew what they were talking about, I would look like I had that knowledge too ... :rolleyes:

See, now if you would have said something like "well from what I have been reading, I noticed others saying it should be ...", that would be totally different than posting as if the knowledge comes from your own personal experience. That is what is misleading. If I do not possess personal experience in something, I would never post as if I did.

But I digress, you probably still won't get it. :wall:

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Why am I not surprised that you (and apparently another) totally missed the point. I never said your information was right or wrong. I mean, if I parroted others that knew what they were talking about, I would look like I had that knowledge too ... :rolleyes:

See, now if you would have said something like "well from what I have been reading, I noticed others saying it should be ...", that would be totally different than posting as if the knowledge comes from your own personal experience. That is what is misleading. If I do not possess personal experience in something, I would never post as if I did.

But I digress, you probably still won't get it. :wall:
LMAO!!! Well put!!!

Now to Kevin88, the first terrestrial I bought was a B smithi, I have raised her over the last 4 plus yrs from a sling, and she is now slightly over 4".

I will try and breed her, but it won't be till her next molt. My experience is in breeding avis and psalmos, but with that said if all goes well she will be my first terrestrial breeding attempt along with my 4" GBB.

4" IMO would be the smallest I would try to breed her, but hit the breeding reports for some guidance and GL with your attempt.

I'd be able to give you more insight if it were an avi:eek:

PIG-

kevin88

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies....I did read all of the smithi breeding reports but I think there was only 1 that listed how big the spiders were. I think I will give it a try

Thanks
Kevin

Newflvr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Breeding Size

I have little ones getting ready to molt into 2nd instar from a female a little smaller than yours. The sac was smaller but enough slings to keep me busy. Good Luck Kevin

Shaka

Arachnopeon
I must agree, that's a lovely B.Smithi. I hope you find that she is indeed ready to breed and make many slings!

S