Reactions to people seeing that you own a tarantula (s)

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
Usual reactions include; mouths agape, gasps, repulsive shudders (the good ol' 'heebie-jeebies'), typical phrases such as "oh no, oh gosh, you're kidding"... then you'll get someone who thinks its cool (or at least pretends to for the sake of politeness lol), and shows interest in hearing more about them... I always appreciate those folks who are more open about it. Most of the people who I've discussed tarantula keeping with over the past year have been from my work or were students I worked with; I find that more often than not the kids are less fearful (or put on a 'show of courage' at least) and are always open to hearing more about T's, whilst my fellow staff members were mostly shocked but keen to hear more (though of course, plenty just don't want anything to do with them).

Many of the questions mentioned in the previous posts inevitably crop up (how do you keep them, do you hold them, let them out often? etc etc...)

Last edited:

F1tarantula

Arachnopeon
Yeah, that's a rare reaction for me sometimes. But it does happen. Recently three friends were interested, and I showed one the "send butt pics" tarantula thread and he thought it was hilarious.

Love it. My 10yo has (and regularly wears to school) a T shirt with a drawing of a cute brachy that says "save the land octopus" 🤣

He says most of the kids think it's kinda neat or a little bit weird but no big deal. I'm glad no one gives him a hard time about it.
Hahaha I did the same thing too. I had a C Versicolor shirt that I would wear EVERYWHERE. My fascination with tarantulas started ever since I found some when I was a really young kid.

Recently I have been confusing my friends with scientific names of ts, and saying "which do you like more?" etc. They were just looking at me in *confuzzled* faces. Its hilarious.
I would ask like:

"What is your favorite Psalmopoeus? They are all so cool, and don't even have urticating setae! So amazing not having those stupid setae burning in between your fingers or on your face, right? I think the best one is the Psalmopoeus victori since they are some of the only aboreals in Central America, and look sort of like half and half. Part red etc. Coming in at a close second is a tie for Psalmopoeus Cambridgei and Psalmopoeus irminia for their beautiful orange colors"

Not much clues about them being a tarantula to people who aren't in the hobby

Kegaran

Arachnopeon
So far it's been "oh cool, not for me though" though sometimes I get some interest in what goes on with their care and the ever present "do you hold them?!" That said most people in my area are pretty chill and I haven't actually gotten too many of the "revulsion" reactions. politely incredulous at worst.

Westicles

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Honestly, I get more "interesting" reactions in regards to my snakes than the tarantulas.

BennyBTamachi

Arachnosquire
The first reactions I had to deal with were those of my wife and mom who both are extremly arachnophobic... And now they are completely fine with it.

It takes time, but usually when you can explain properly, people start to get pass through the usual stupid questions, and they become more fascinated, or at least interested, than frightened.
Of course there are still people who will never understand, but I find them not being the majority.

But in the end, it's true that I don't tell everyone around me, because I don't have time to explain to all people :)

TechComMike

Arachnopeon
Take a good hard look at the news going on all around Planet Earth, the world's on fire! Human beings are the freaks, not some nice fuzzy spiders who mind their own business.

Wolf135

Arachnoknight
In my town tarantula keeping is surprisingly common and most are familiar with them enough to see them as an exotic pet.

Pedipalpable

Arachnosquire
Take a good hard look at the news going on all around Planet Earth, the world's on fire! Human beings are the freaks, not some nice fuzzy spiders who mind their own business.
Beautifully put. Humans are by far the most foul creatures to have ever lived in the history of life itself.
And speaking realistically, also one of the most bizarre looking. Upright walking primates that can’t climb, have no tail, tiny jaws and oversized lips, protruding noses, enlarged chests and rumps, and barely any hair at all except for in a few odd places where it doesn’t even help to keep us warm. Humans are indeed the freak to end all freaks. :drunk:

handfulofspiders

Arachnopeon
i have a good circle of friends and acquaintances that are respectful and enjoy watching me care for them and talk about them, but people such as my relatives really dislike them lol ..

i’ve gotten comments like “spiders bite y’know”

“gross! do you let it crawl up your arm n stuff?”

“why do you have so many if you can’t do anything with them?”

“i killed a spider just the other day”

i’ve never cared if anyone disliked them or me because of them, i’m proud that i and many other people can see the beauty in things that most people cannot

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For my part, very few are actually creeped out while most are curious. I've brought molts to work on many occasions and many keep asking the same questions (ie How many do you have ? What do you feed them ? Do you hold them ? Are they all in the same cage ?). And while some of these are tiresome to hear, I remain respectful and explain as briefly as possible.

On the other hand, I do have a cousin who's absolutely terrified of bugs and hasn't visited in years because she knows I have "Horrible Giant Spiders" in my home... Her loss.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Most recently, a friend who always asks me how my spiders are doing when I see her, was exploring the idea of me moving in with her. She said she wasn’t sure about the spiders though. She said we may be able to put them in various places about the house. I explained that they needed to be in separate enclosures, but not separate rooms.

waynerowley

Arachnosquire
Shock, disgust, fascination, curiosity.

"Do you hold them?"

"Do they all live together?"

"What do you feed them"

"Are they free reign?"

"Are the poisonous?" (Yes really!! :rofl:)

"Can they bite you?"

"Have they ever escaped?"

"Are they deadly?"

"Why?"

I'm sure there's more I get but these seem to be the recurring questions.

Wayne

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Honestly, I get more "interesting" reactions in regards to my snakes than the tarantulas.
Up in the high country running a pack train of about 20 horses with riders I had the misfortune to have to shoot two rattlers.
Then up at the camp site a rattler came wandering through. Everybody went freak out of course and cleared the area. Out in a wide open area it was a perfect opportunity to use my loop stick. Threw sand at it and it coiled so no prob getting a loop on it then a firm grip behind it's head. All the while a chorus of 'shoot it' and 'why don't you ....'.
I had a dozen comments I left unvoiced as I took the opportunity to go for a hike and left it in a horse and people hostile area where I would have no concern.
Humans, reduced to a wind up toy automatic mentality no better than the rattler. Less even, for we have the ability to think outside the box - if we choose.

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
I have always been upfront about my hobby and TBH, never really cared for those people that dismiss your passion out of hand.

I will talk at length to people who genuinely want to learn and many of those have stayed friends.

I have done various creepy crawly events and been to schools, children's parties, adult facilities and all sorts. Most of which start with some degree of fear but at the end, although the fear may remain, there is better education.

One of the most disappointing attempts for educational purposes was when I was planning on doing a talk at my office, linked to the nature club that I am club secretary for, long story short, someone complained to the house committee and said she would not come into the office if spiders were in there. The whole event got pulled. 😪

2 things here
1. The person who complained is dillusional if she thinks there are no spiders in the office already! Ha ha
2. The person who complained is probably the person who would have gained more by attending my event.....which was all voluntary anyway and in a secure side room away from the main office.

The BEST feeling is when you can help change perception though so stick to your guns, be you, not what someone else wants you to be.