Reaction to urticating hairs?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There is a thread on which tarantulas have the worst urticating hairs, but how about a reaction thread. How do you react to certain tarantula hairs. I know some leave me with a bad itch, others a bad itch with small bumps(almost blister like) in the area, and most just reddness and itching.

mekkababble

Arachnopeon
There isn't much of a story, but the day I brought my G. Rosea home she kicked a hair at me. It took me a few hours to notice there was something prickling and found a pinhead-sized red spot on my palm, pulling out the hair made it go away almose instantaneously.

Slash

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My only new-worlds are G. rosea and L. parahybana. Like i said in the other thread you were referring to, I have really sensitive skin and both of them cause incredible discomfort when haired. The rosehairs effects are more tolerable and last longer on my skin, but the L. para's is way more intense: major redness and burning, very small fluid-filled bumps, MAJOR itching and discomfort when irritated followed by many a certain four-letter word. :evil:

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't even get GBB hairs in your eyes, that was two weeks of hell.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow that sounds completely horrible, especially since its a GBB. I'd hate to get hairs in my eye. How'd it happen?

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, I saw a big patch of loose hairs on my GBB so I picked them off and put them under a micoscope, then I breathed too hard. Got it straight in the eye ball.

robbie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, I saw a big patch of loose hairs on my GBB so I picked them off and put them under a micoscope, then I breathed too hard. Got it straight in the eye ball.
I guess curiosity got the best of you on that one. Glad to hear things are better now, unless you just lost the eye all together (j/j){D {D

also wanted to add i have only had reactions to my Avic. avic. and my G. rosea, it was only a slight itchyness for about a few minutes. not much reaction to my other T's so far. (I also handle my B. vagans quite often)

Last edited:

Duc de Blangis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My only new-worlds are G. rosea and L. parahybana. Like i said in the other thread you were referring to, I have really sensitive skin and both of them cause incredible discomfort when haired. The rosehairs effects are more tolerable and last longer on my skin, but the L. para's is way more intense: major redness and burning, very small fluid-filled bumps, MAJOR itching and discomfort when irritated followed by many a certain four-letter word. :evil:
i'm affected by l parahybana hairs worse than any others. i can't wait until my lp goes to that big burrow up in the sky.

peterspiderling

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
they never bother me, i dont know why but they just never itch, burn, red or anything for that matter, i just to to the bath room and wash them out as to not get them in my eyes if i forget. even my t.blondi does not give me trouble. lucky me i think :D

pete :D

p.s my Regalis is a real hair kicker....... {D hehe lol

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how about gloves it always works for me as for eyes i may have been lucky;) :) ~~~~PHIL

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've only handled two mature G. roseas, never had any reaction of any kind to them. :)

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I don't seem to get any reactions to any of the T's I've come into contact with yet. If anything, my hands just feel a bit dried out but no real irritation. I haven't had any hairs get into my eyes or breathed any in yet and I hope to keep it that way :) I think that no matter how sensitive you are it would all around suck to get them in your eyes!!!

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I dont react to the Aphonopelmas I work with, but they also dont kick hairs often. Brachys, and Theraphosas are a complete other story. I get really itchy at first, then it starts to burn, and I get small blisters all over my hands, or where ever the hairs came in contact with. The blisters are the worst between my fingers for some reason, and will last weeks.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The blisters are the worst between my fingers for some reason, and will last weeks.
generally a person's hand skin is thinnest *and* most senstive in between the fingers. places that are exposed to use and sun get callus'ed and desensitized to varying degrees.

the skin on the "sides" of the fingers has the highest areal density of nerve endings of anyplace on the hand... and is pretty high up on the areal density list of any spot on the body. i think tongue and parts of primary & secondary sex organs are higher and that is it. could be wrong though... my cursed stepmom threw all my med books away.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There is a thread on which tarantulas have the worst urticating hairs, but how about a reaction thread. How do you react to certain tarantula hairs. I know some leave me with a bad itch, others a bad itch with small bumps(almost blister like) in the area, and most just reddness and itching.
This is pretty much the same as me. I also know that when I do react to them I somehow find a way to expose lots of my skin to the hairs. Nothing like maximizing the discomfort.

Pulk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
generally a person's hand skin is thinnest *and* most senstive in between the fingers. places that are exposed to use and sun get callus'ed and desensitized to varying degrees.

the skin on the "sides" of the fingers has the highest areal density of nerve endings of anyplace on the hand... and is pretty high up on the areal density list of any spot on the body. i think tongue and parts of primary & secondary sex organs are higher and that is it. could be wrong though... my cursed stepmom threw all my med books away.
plus they're always rubbing against each other. that has to make it worse.

FacetedEyes

Arachnopeon
Think I may have GBB Urticating Hair in eyes?

Just got my GBB. I noticed while putting in a cricket that it started to "kick". A day later my eyes are itching, burning, irritated. Any advice?????

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pull up your socks and suffer it out lol. Not much else you can really do.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just got my GBB. I noticed while putting in a cricket that it started to "kick". A day later my eyes are itching, burning, irritated. Any advice?????

You might wanna go to the doctor if is really bad. You only have 2 eyes, and you cant buy another pair.

I wouldnt let it go. (advice from a person who got drain-o in his left eye and let it go )