Re vamping my Mexican Red Knee enclosure

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
With regards to the tongs practicly every feeding video I've seen on YouTube the owner has used tongs so that's why I got them.
Well YouTube is generally a bad resource for T husbandry. There’s a lot of monkey see monkey do, meaning in the absence of accurate info it seems like some things are “ok” even though they aren’t.

To clarify:

If you use forceps to drop a cricket from the top - that’s fine with a terrestrial.

If you are doing what most people do which is hold the cricket until the T takes it, that’s an approach that isn’t logical, and can lead to injury, escape or death etc

They eat in the wild with help from human animals— NOPE—-why would they need help in captivity? A little critical thinking goes a long way to keeping your T healthy and thriving.

Someone stole the tennis balls off his walker so he's been crabby ever since.
Indeed- you did :rofl:

Last edited:

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
the thing about YouTube is most folks who do it are doing it for clicks. So 'drama' outsells proper husbandry. Second, most folks who are really into husbandry aren't out trying to get famous for it. Tom Moran is the only one worth your time, info wise.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
the thing about YouTube is most folks who do it are doing it for clicks. So 'drama' outsells proper husbandry. Second, most folks who are really into husbandry aren't out trying to get famous for it. Tom Moran is the only one worth your time, info wise.
Completely agree- what’s easier to show/do - a “forced/planned” feeding via forceps or record your T for potentially hours hoping it eats

And many of the breeders who were active members here years ago are primarily absent now, they are too busy.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Without a doubt, Tom Moran is absolutely the best. Dave's Little Beasties is another one to check. Some of his methods may be controversial, but he shows you how to do them and why they work. His calm demeanour also is of note, as I don't think I've seen a threat pose or an escape out of his Ts so far. Love his motto : "Be calm. Be gentle. Love your spiders."

Completely agree- what’s easier to show/do - a “forced/planned” feeding via forceps or record your T for potentially hours hoping it eats

And many of the breeders who were active members here years ago are primarily absent now, they are too busy.
Which is why I never do actual feeding videos, but rather record once something is caught. I know that I've spent many afternoons just watching and waiting for my Ts to make a grab.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks good. If your T took to its hide, then yes, it is settling in. Give it some time before you do anything with it. Just keep its water dish full and it'll be all right.