RE: :( In Memory of...

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry for your loss LaRiz, but I thought this best in a different thread.

I know these are a bit morbid for questions but the information would have been damn handy two weeks ago. Charlie... My Vietnamese Huntsman... Just grew more and more lathargic no matter what I did... and died.... Bonus would have been that I could still have her...

1) What method was used to euthanize the spider? As a guess I would choose freezing.

2) Is there any pics of the larva or the developing tumor?

3) What works best for preserving the deceased spider? Alcohol or formaldehyde? (Did I speel it right? :))

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Arachniphile...

thanks,
Not morbid at all.
I don't really know the proper way to euthanize anthing, but I figured if I stick her in the freezer, she'll slow down and kinda, sleep. I've also heard that freezing is a painful process. That's all I had, besides, ah, squishin' her.
I preserved her in 70% or better Isopropyl alcohol. There are probably better methods, but she fits in with my collection of preserved critters. I've been keeping a Diplodactylus ciliarus in alcohol for about 3 yrs. now, and it still looks good. Um, that's an expensive gecko that died from unknown causes.
No pics yet, I'll have to work on that.
I hope I helped a little.
john

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

The skin of the gecko doesnt get waterlogged at all? no eyes floating around?

-V

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Im no expert but i do know this: Very few things smell worse than fermaldehyde! i would definately reccomend an alternative for perserving your T if it is going to be within a mile of your house :p

Arachniphile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks LaRiz... that does help. I never thought of using the alcohol... darn... and I would still have her to look at...

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i just mount mine on cardboard, spray them with a clear coat gloss, and put them in a picture frame.

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I burryed my Avic.

when my Avic passed away i burryed her under the forget me not plants that are in the flowerbed in the back yard

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've had 4 die since I've been keeping tarantulas: My first White Knee (molting problems), a Costa Rican Zebra (dehydration), a B. smithi spiderling (Don't have a clue), and the male P. murinus (after mating, he became the main course).
All but the Zebra are buried in our front flower bed. (I got the zebra from the Pet Shop in very bad shape and it died the same day I got it. I needed to return it to the shop to prove it was dead and get a replacement. I lobbied for that one as well to take back, but they said they needed it to get a replacement from their dealer as well.)
I've also got a dead Chilean Rose buried there as well. I got it already dead from the Pet Shop as an experiment in preserving them. After I really got really attached to my Chilean Rose (Yes, I believe it is possible to become very attached to tarantulas, the same as other pets). I felt bad having it and decided to give it a decent burial.