Re-housing

Loaf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Whats the easiest way to rehouse a Haplopelma sp. that is pretty aggressive?
I was thinking i could just put it's old enclosuer in the new one and wait until he wanders into his new home,(that could take days) but the lid will not fit on the new one with the old one inside of it, ( i hope i am making sense). I don't want to grab it either, because i know i will get tagged. ANy suggestions?
:wall:

r4iney

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A plastic cup over it and slide something under it. Carefully of course, so you don't injure it.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Put the cages in your bathtub or shower in case it makes a daring escape.

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yep, i always used a plastic up & lid when i moved my H. lividum, i never had a problem with it

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whats the easiest way to rehouse a Haplopelma sp. that is pretty aggressive?
I was thinking i could just put it's old enclosuer in the new one and wait until he wanders into his new home,(that could take days) but the lid will not fit on the new one with the old one inside of it, ( i hope i am making sense). I don't want to grab it either, because i know i will get tagged. ANy suggestions?
:wall:
(before you do all this make sure your new enclosure is set up properly so you can leave the T alone so it can settle into its new home)

If the old enclosure is small enough take a clear long bag (the kind of bad crickets come in when you buy them from a pet store or a fish with the water when you buy it) and cover the enclosure (with the enclosure top off compleely) gently shaking the cage so the T falls in to the bag.

quickly close the bag then open the new enclosure enough so you can put the Tarantula inside and slide the bag out and close it cage top properly and your all set...

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Expect the T to dart upwards if it gets startled. The ones I rehoused that darted, went up.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't want to move a Haplopelma in a plastic bag; those fangs will go right through and if you've ever seen an angry Haplopelma, there's definitely biting involved.

I'd place my bets on the cup and card method.

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't want to move a Haplopelma in a plastic bag; those fangs will go right through and if you've ever seen an angry Haplopelma, there's definitely biting involved.

I'd place my bets on the cup and card method.
Ok then use something more usable when the aggressive species..like still put it in a bag then put it in a jar with the top on...since it wont be in there that long the jar w/ a top on it will be fine...good point about these genus lol..we want to avoid bites at all cost. :clap: :clap: