re-housing my Avic

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
U can make sure air can get in and forget about 70-80% humidity, that will kill an avic very quickly.
All they need is a water dish and mist once or twice a month that is it.

Angelo303

Arachnosquire
Just saw you already made a thread here. ;)

For everyone who's interested there's already a discussion that started here: http://arachnoboards.com/gallery/avicularia-enclosure-feedback.63772/
thank you very much for giving me an example of someone with a cheap and simple enclosure, I will fix my mistake, so I will get a plastic container with everything I add inside dry and just a little cup with overflowed water and that will keep my pink toe alive and healthy , I live in Denver where it snows what can I use to keep my spider warm?

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I have raised many a pinktoe with top ventilation only. I agree that for more fragile species such as versicolor cross ventilation is very important, but for a juvy A. avicularia, your setup is fine.

Angelo303

Arachnosquire
I have raised many a pinktoe with top ventilation only. I agree that for more fragile species such as versicolor cross ventilation is very important, but for a juvy A. avicularia, your setup is fine.
do they thrive well and build a well made Web, what about molting?
how do I know if I am doing it correctly?

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Firstly, IMO a C. versicolor isn't more difficult to raise than an Avic avic, we just hear about more problems with them because they're bought more often by beginners as slings, at least that's my impression. ;)

Secondly, I don't doubt you can raise an Avic with less than optimal ventilation and/or on more moist substrate, but for a beginner who doesn't have the experience I will always recommend the safer way with proper cross ventilation and dry substrate. :)

@Angelo303 Have you read the threads about Avic care in the link I posted?
Those should answer most of your questions.
For temperatures low to mid 70s are fine. If the temperature in your home goes below that in winter get a space heater. That'd be the safest option.

And yes, they usually moult in a web tunnel.

Mostly, it'll be more obvious if you don't keep it correctly. Red flags, for example, are:
- not eating for extended periods of time without being in premoult
- being on the ground without reason (e.g. hunting)

Last edited:

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Firstly, IMO a C. versicolor isn't more difficult to raise than an Avic avic, we just hear about more problems with them because they're bought more often by beginners as slings, at least that's my impression. ;)

Secondly, I don't doubt you can raise an Avic with less than optimal ventilation and/or on more moist substrate, but for a beginner who doesn't have the experience I will always recommend the safer way with proper cross ventilation and dry substrate. :)

@Angelo303 Have you read the threads about Avic care in the link I posted?
Those should answer most of your questions.
For temperatures low to mid 70s are fine. If the temperature in your home goes below that in winter get a space heater. That'd be the safest option.

And yes, they usually moult in a web tunnel.

Mostly, it'll be more obvious if you don't keep it correctly. Red flags, for example, are:
- not eating for extended periods of time without being in premoult
- being on the ground without reason (e.g. hunting)
C. versicolor is proven to be more fragile than other avics, most of the ventilation issues you read about with avics stem from them, whether beginner or not. Juvy and adult Avics do just fine with the same ventilation you would provide any other species, even versicolor. It is when they are slings that they are extra fragile (mostly just versicolor)
Honestly alot of people overthink the care of avics, providing too much or too little moisture etc, killing them with kindness. I even heard Tarantula Canada a couple weeks ago (at an expo) telling a customer that versicolor often die just because, as they are so fragile. Not so with other avic species.

Once your avic is established in it's new home it will build a tube web, where it will stay most of the time. Some web more than others. My versicolors and A. hurianas webbed more than my A. avics and Y. diversipes for example. They are all individuals.

Angelo303

Arachnosquire
C. versicolor is proven to be more fragile than other avics, most of the ventilation issues you read about with avics stem from them, whether beginner or not. Juvy and adult Avics do just fine with the same ventilation you would provide any other species, even versicolor. It is when they are slings that they are extra fragile (mostly just versicolor)
Honestly alot of people overthink the care of avics, providing too much or too little moisture etc, killing them with kindness. I even heard Tarantula Canada a couple weeks ago (at an expo) telling a customer that versicolor often die just because, as they are so fragile. Not so with other avic species.

Once your avic is established in it's new home it will build a tube web, where it will stay most of the time. Some web more than others. My versicolors and A. hurianas webbed more than my A. avics and Y. diversipes for example. They are all individuals.
as for right now my pink toe A. Avicularia is on the glass but half inch off the ground? will it molt?

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
as for right now my pink toe A. Avicularia is on the glass but half inch off the ground? will it molt?
Not necessarily, it just takes time for them to settle in. It could be weeks before it starts to make a significant web. It's hard to know where it is in the moult cycle without seeing it and knowing when it last moulted and if its eating or not.

Angelo303

Arachnosquire
Not necessarily, it just takes time for them to settle in. It could be weeks before it starts to make a significant web. It's hard to know where it is in the moult cycle without seeing it and knowing when it last moulted and if its eating or not.
does it need a Web to be able to feed it or can just adding a grasshopper be enough

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
does it need a Web to be able to feed it or can just adding a grasshopper be enough
When did you get it? Give it a week to settle in before feeding. Yes you can feed it without a web. If it hasn't eaten by the next day, remove prey item.

Angelo303

Arachnosquire
I will rehouse my Avicularia PinkToe in this 10 g tank, it has way more ventilation then the small enclosure it is in right now 15697049957121276089701.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wouldn't use that top, even though the grid is larger than mesh.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you worry about humidity, your T is going to die sooner, not later.

Angelo303

Arachnosquire
Can i use this silicone to just stick branches together will it harm my Avic? 1569800028292-759246649.jpg