Re-housing a sling prior to molting?

midnight_maiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok, yesterday I noticed that my little 1/2" C. fasciatum had turned very dark. So this means an upcoming molt. :clap: I have had this sling for about a week and it is still in a the small vial that I received it in, with a small wad of damp paper towel for substrate. I was planning on moving it to a slightly larger container with a 75/25 mix of peat and coconut fiber. I just wanted to ask you all if I should wait until after the molt to move her or if it's ok to go ahead with the re-housing now.

Also with slings this small how long before they actually molt after darkening? My 1" B. auratum took approx. 3-5 days after I noticed the change in color.

Thanks all for anything and everything you can give me advice about

:worship: :worship: :worship:

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would probably wait until after the molt to move it. It's pretty stressful for a T to suddenly have its living evironment changed. Just make sure it stays moist but not overly wet and should molt in the next 7 days or so.

I usually wait until after they feed once after a molt to move them. That way the sling has already feed once in case it decides not to eat for awhile.

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would probably wait until after the molt to move it. It's pretty stressful for a T to suddenly have its living evironment changed. Just make sure it stays moist but not overly wet and should molt in the next 7 days or so.

I usually wait until after they feed once after a molt to move them. That way the sling has already feed once in case it decides not to eat for awhile.
Plus waiting till they eat insures their exoskeleton has hardened up enough to move them without danger.

midnight_maiden

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It did eat a fruit fly last night so I'm not too sure how long before the molt. I am unfamiliar with the characteristics of the little ones. As far as how long prior to a molt they stop taking food anyway.