Re-Arranging My Rosea's Enclosure

tebs

Arachnopeon
Got him/her about a week ago and I was wondering if it would be too stressful for him/her if I rearrange his/her enclosure. Since I am using one of those exo-terras (12x12x12) i need to add a nice wide log/branch to help add space and help with the height issue since I cannot add enough substrate because of the design of the tank. I figured might as well re-arrange her stuff now before she gets settled in and start webbing all over the place...

thoughts?

BTW here are a few pics of my rosea...i think she's freakin' gorgeous...

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Go ahead and arrange away. Your T has only been in it's new enclosure for a week, so I doubt it really feels at home yet. It's perfectly able to handle a bit of stress.

On a side note, Exo-Terra cubes can have issues with the screen lids and providing suitable substrate height (which you've noticed already). In order to minimize the risks, you have to do a fair bit of customizing. Don't get me wrong, many people seem to keep terrestrial Ts in them successfully, but the risks are there. I own a few of those cubes, but I only keep arboreals in them because I'm too lazy to make the modifications that would give me peace of mind :).

Good luck.

Edit: The fake rock hide and the log you're planning to add may actually pose more of a risk for injury due to a fall. If the T ends up falling from the top onto either, the potential for serious injury is there. Just so you're aware.

Last edited:

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
On a side note, Exo-Terra cubes can have issues with the screen lids and providing suitable substrate height (which you've noticed already). In order to minimize the risks, you have to do a fair bit of customizing. Don't get me wrong, many people seem to keep terrestrial Ts in them successfully, but the risks are there. I own a few of those cubes, but I only keep arboreals in them because I'm too lazy to make the modifications that would give me peace of mind :).

Good luck.
+1. might as well just buy an a. avic now instead of later and put it in that exo terra.

personally, i'd invest in something flatter or if you want to be fancy, a 5.5gal. i like giving rosea enough sub to burrow, even more than normal reccomended (which you just aren't going to get with those cubes). ime, every rosea i've set up an enclosure for has ended up burrowing.

tebs

Arachnopeon
Thanks all. Yeah...didn't realize that height issue till I started prepin' it for the first time...I like the enclosure prep part of the hobby so i think I'll make the mods necessary. I'm thinking of doing a slope from the highest part of the opening going up the back....its hard to explain...i don't we'll see...if band practice gets cancelled tonight my rosea will have a better enclosure by tomorrow!

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those cubes really aren't safely suitable for a terrestrial T. Well without some modifications, which is why we use fishtanks.

10 gal. fish tanks are cheaper than 5.5 gal and we keep ours in one. We have never regretted it because of the wonderful things she has done with it. You do need to have enough substrate in there to only allow a legspan and a half between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure to prevent injuries from a fall.