Ravine Trapdoor - Cyclocosmia truncata ?

Phases

Arachnoknight
Door is complete! Was done and cracked when I came in the office this morning. She shut it completely within 5 or so minutes. Now I wonder how long before trying to feed. She had a half a mealworm about a week ago.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Door is complete! Was done and cracked when I came in the office this morning. She shut it completely within 5 or so minutes. Now I wonder how long before trying to feed. She had a half a mealworm about a week ago.
The great things about trap doors is that you don't have to worry regarding feeding them. Pop in a cricket and if it's still there in the morning take it out and try again in a few days/week.

Phases

Arachnoknight
But I wanna seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee lol

Ok, so tonight I will try one and find out. :D

basin79

ArachnoGod
But I wanna seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee lol

Ok, so tonight I will try one and find out. :D
I've never seen my Cyclocosmia ricketti take a cricket. I've watched for ages, done the tricks but still nothing. Then the morning after the cricket is gone.

Phases

Arachnoknight
So do they eat it all, carcass and eveyrthing, or keep in burrow? Do these molt like Ts, and fast first?

I guess I'm curious, how do you know if it is dead vs fasting?

basin79

ArachnoGod
So do they eat it all, carcass and eveyrthing, or keep in burrow? Do these molt like Ts, and fast first?

I guess I'm curious, how do you know if it is dead vs fasting?
They throw out the remains and also throw out their moults too when they're able.

Phases

Arachnoknight
Here is the most I've seen of it in the 6 weeks it's been in its burrow, just now. I consider myself lucky!

20170718_152650.jpg

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I'm glad you enjoy...there's a reason I decided long ago that trapdoor spiders are best left to other people :p

Looks healthy and happy, though :)

Phases

Arachnoknight
I'm waiting for the day, should it ever come, that a molt appears on the surface. Hell I got excited the one time I found a bolus.

Jonathan Stewart

Arachnopeon
Wicked find can't believe that was found in Nashville! I'm from here great city but wildlife seems less exotic wish I could find one wicked cool like that
So, this little fella wandered up to our garage last week after a heavy rain. He actually lead to our getting a tarantula. I, btw, only assume this is a 'he', because they are the most likely to venture out.

Comes in at about 1.5" DLS according to my tape measure and the picture of him by my knife. I put him in a container with about 6 inches of substrate. Mostly nice compost, potting soil, and regular soil and moss on top. I created him a tunnel to go down molding some 2 inch insulation, hoping he would go all the way to the burrow I made. But, looks like he's only a couple inches down.

He did take to the hole I started off with my finger, and has covered it. I have no idea if he's eating, I've not seen him since! Wish I'd got better pictures of the rump.

View attachment 242001

View attachment 241995

View attachment 241993

View attachment 241998

View attachment 241994

View attachment 241999

View attachment 242000

View attachment 241997

View attachment 241996

:) What do ya think? Here some info on it.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/174732

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Yep, Nashville :)
I'm moving to Clarksville very soon, and was strongly considering ordering a couple of these, but how long have you lived in Tennessee? And have you ever seen wandering Trapdoors more than once? The only reason I ask is because if this is the only time you've caught a Trapdoor in a long amount of time, I will probably just order them, but if you've seen a Trapdoor in th wild on multiple occasions, I might as well wait to move and jus get a WC one. Thx :)

Last edited:

Phases

Arachnoknight
Only one this big.. if you are patient and know how to look for them you might be ok. I've found a few small ones this way but it might depend on the property.

Give it a shot prior to ordering :)

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Only one this big.. if you are patient and know how to look for them you might be ok. I've found a few small ones this way but it might depend on the property.

Give it a shot prior to ordering :)
I think I'm probably going to just order some slings in the near future, because I have no clue on what to look for with searching for Trapdoors, and plus the CB slings won't have parasites, but thank you anyways :) And is yours still doing good?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
The time to look for females, at least, is during or after a heavy rain, as I understand it. At that time they get flooded out of their burrow and are forced to dig a new one.

Trying to find one in a hole is probably a lost cause. I had a job finding bumblebee nests, and that was exceedingly difficult; trap doors make similar (extremely well hidden) holes, but they aren't coming and going all day.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
The time to look for females, at least, is during or after a heavy rain, as I understand it. At that time they get flooded out of their burrow and are forced to dig a new one.

Trying to find one in a hole is probably a lost cause. I had a job finding bumblebee nests, and that was exceedingly difficult; trap doors make similar (extremely well hidden) holes, but they aren't coming and going all day.
Well I ordered 2 slings back in April and have both molted since, and grown from 1/8-1/4 inch to about 1/2 an inch. These guys are soooo cool. I rehoused them both today (mold), and they definitely looked bigger from 3 months ago, lol. My only complaints about them are that they are a pain to feed while they’re this tiny, and, well, they’re trapdoors, so I don’t see them a ton. Amazing and overlooked species, keep us posted on yours!

Phases

Arachnoknight
My girl is still kickin! I rehoued a bit back and she has yet to remake a trapdoor though. So, unsure what's going on. It's been months!