Rattties!

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've been keeping rats as pets for the last 3 years. Despite their reputation for being "dirty", they make wonderful pets....social, CLEAN, adorable and easy to care for. The one pitfall is that their lifespans are only about 2-3 years. Some pics of my current grey and white brood to make you smile. Among them are two dwarfs.

aluras

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
CUTE!!
These are some of the best pets.....I have not had any for years...so cute :p

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
OMG! Is that rat actually learning how to drive?! :eek: I didn't know they were *that* smart!

Anyway, adorable! I wish I had a couple!

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was too excited to wait till I got home to take a picture of my newest addition, CU. And am I losing my mind or is your avatar's eye sending a laser beam at me?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
AWE! I am almost tempted to go & get me a couple rats again.. They are adorable! :D

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
And am I losing my mind or is your avatar's eye sending a laser beam at me?
You are not losing your mind, it is flashing laser eyes at you.

Your rats are adorable :D I have 2 sweet little rat girls myself. They are great pets.

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
cute! I have three girls currently, myself. I have been keeping rats 16 years, and I cannot imagine life without a few around!

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is the first time I have a brood with the same coloration. Three are brothers (one big fat squishy dumbo and two dwarfs). I found the new comer at my friends pet store (first time I bought a rat at a store), and he fits in perfectly. My oldest is a hairless that I rescued over two years ago. I absolutely love these guys.

vikingprincess

Arachnopeon
My daughter has 3 rats and I think they're adorable however I'm allergic to them so I can't hold them for very long and recently we got her a hairless one at the expo and she is just a sweet heart and I can spend time holding her without any skin reactions or sneezing yay! She has an amazing little personality.

Only problem we have is the other two rats have not excepted her and bite her if we introduce them outside the cages..We have tried having the cages together but they try to grab her through the bars and bite her lol little devils so shes in a cage on her own but it would be nice to keep them together but I don't think that will happen.

Attachments

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dwarf is a very rare and recessive gene - you may want to really keep good records on them and try to produce more if you have the desire/opportunity.

I also noticed you have a couple dumbos (as you stated already :)). Dumbo is one of my favorite recessive genes, and blue dumbos are absolutely adorable. Try to get some rex mixed in and you'll have some really great-looking rats. :)

--Joe

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Dwarf's becoming more common, although still rare over here on the east coast. My favorites are roan and dalmatian. I had a roan downunder odd-eye boy who passed away about a year ago.... he was pretty amazing. His father was also manx, so he carried that as well. I've tracked down burmese here in MD, and knew someone who imported them from the UK years back along with black eyed siamese, but she didn't breed them (other breeders did, but I wasn't in contact with them).

Dalmatians and roans... still my favorites, lol. but give me a PEW and agouti standard any day and i'm happy! Big agouti standard ear boy, or a double rex agouti (those.. oh man, they look diseased sometimes with partial hair loss lol), it's fun having something that looks like a giant sewer rat on your shoulder, giving your fingers kisses while others stare at you like you're crazy.

Yeah, I'm weird.. i've had so many adorable ratties in my life, sometimes the less-than-loved looks are necessary to balance out the cuteness factor, and looks certainly have nothign to do with personality!

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have had many a beautiful boy from breeders and simply the most lovable rescues. Dwarfs are indeed difficult to find, and interestingly enough, the breeder that I got them from and the breeder i got most of my others are at odds. I have had several Burmese boys as well from one breeder. I think the agoutis are the most beautiful as common as they are. Here's some pics of those that are now at "the bridge"

Peek (Burmese Dumbo and Sprinkle Agouti Variegated Rex Dumbo)

Icey (the sweetest rescue and my first to pass....plain ole Agouti Hooded)

Streak and Flash ...Flash is still going at almost 3 years old!

Yang (my Agouti love)