Rats and Murine Mycoplasmosis

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
I just weakened and bought a very young (probably just weaned) dumbo rex female rat at the reptile show. She was very affectionate and slated for snake food because the breeder was just overwhelmed with numbers and willing to sell a fancy rat as food - hence my soft hearted impulse buy.
Once I got her home I noticed a slight wheezing problem and looked up rat health only to find this...

Murine Mycoplasmosis is the cause of respiratory disease in mice and rats, and is the commonest ailment, and cause of death, in pet rats. The organism Mycoplasma pulmonis is inherent in all rats and mice, and is passed on by the mother during birth or by aerosols from rat to rat. It cannot be transmitted to other species or contracted from other species. It is a primitive wall-less bacteria, which makes it very difficult to fight with antibiotics.

Mycoplasma is a Gram negative aerobic bacteria, which determines the type of antibiotics used to treat it. It is very often a chronic disease, only causing serious problems in the very young or very old, or if the immune system is compromised. Mycoplasma may accompany another bacterial infection, such as the Sendai virus, and a weakened immune system may yield to the infections. Mycoplasma rarely affects rats under 3 months of age as it begins to colonise the respiratory tract.

Mycoplasma pulmonis is very contagious and incurable, although antibiotic treatment can help to minimise the effects. The infection may appear to subside and then return at a later date. If a rat shows symptoms of mycoplasma but otherwise appears healthy, active and is eating and drinking, it will almost certainly be an infection of the upper respiratory tract. If the rat appears ill and lethargic, with no interest in food or drink, the infection may have reached the lower respiratory tract and will be far more serious.

Symptoms: Any sound a rat makes whilst breathing is not normal and would probably be a symptom of Mysoplasma. Other symptoms include constant sneezing and a head tilt.
If a rat shows signs of Mycoplasma it doesn't necessarily mean a death sentence, and many rats go on to live full and happy lives despite the symptoms. Others may need a course of antibiotics from time to time if the symptoms progress.

You can't prevent the disease, but there are steps you can take to try and prevent a full-blown Myco infection. Make sure that the cage, litter and bedding is kept clean and dry. Ammonia arising from urine in the litter or bedding irritates the respiratory tract and is a predisposing factor in Mycoplasma infections. Keep the cage well ventilated and out of drafts. Never use cedar or pine litter. In fact, I would suggest that you stay away from wood based litters altogether. Most rats sold in pet stores are from intensive breeding and overcrowded conditions, so always look for a healthy, alert rat. You can help build up your rat's immune system with the herbal remedy Echinacea. A few drops in the food or water, flavoured with honey or juice (it's very bitter) given on week on and one week off. There is no substitute, however, for a healthy, balanced diet and a clean environment.

She is very active and seems healthy other wise. I have started her on antibiotics in her water. So is this a death sentence for her? Has anyone else kept a rat who had this and lived a normal life? Does anyone know if it really is true that the disease cannot be transmitted to other rodents? My husband has a guinea pig that he dotes on and would kill me if it got sick from my rat!

Gail

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It is not the death sentence you are making it out to be. When left in unsanitary, dank, stagnant conditions, it can worsen until death occurs, but well supported you should be fine.

Both of my two rats had it when I got them and both recovered just fine (and this was without any antibiotics, either).

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Most of the rats we've had as pets have had it, some more serious then others. Right now we have two dumbo brothers, and the smaller one has it more seriously. He's got the head tilt, etc. However, he does eat, and he's grown, just not as much or fast as his big brother. They live together, and the big one sneezes once in a while, but is otherwise healthy. I don't know if you can even get a rat anymore that doesn't have it in at least a very light form. I keep them in a wire cage, with Carefresh bedding that I change once a week. I let them out in Shelby's room to roam around quite often as well. Aquariums are a big no no, not enough ventilation.
I'm sorry I can't answer your question as to whether it's contagious to your guinea pig though.

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Thanks for the info. It's been so many years since I kept a rat that I don't think this disease was very common as I never heard of it before finding the webpage I quoted. I'll have to get her a wire cage asap as she is in a tank right now. She sure is a little pistol though - rode around in my pocket or on my shoulder for a good bit today while I was packing and doing laundry. She loves to "wrestle" too - grabbing your fingers, kicking you like a cat and giving light nips then running off with that bounce and hop LOL :)

Gail

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
she sounds darling! Our white rat is the same way, he will jump on and attack your fingers, but he won't bite...he just wrestles around like a cat!
He loves to have his tummy rubbed, and he will ride around on your shoulder all day long.... he's a neat little guy.

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I've wanted a rat for the longest time but have always resisted the urge.. This really doesn't help :p