Rate my setups please!

Hvk91

Arachnopeon
So I finally pulled the trigger and picked up two Ts. One A.Avicularia and one T.Albopilosum. Put together some cozy enclosures and now I'm curious if I did it right! The curly hair was pretty big, idk where s/he is in growth or if/how to sex. Also worried about ventilation. 20200207_131928.jpg 20200207_131852.jpg
Any tips/critics would be helpful.

The avicularia has a dozen holes on the top and 4 for cross vent. The curly has 6 on the top and 12 around the sides.

cold blood

Staff member
ok...the albo could use a bigger enclosure....its ventilation type isnt all that important.

The avic needs more venting on the sides...its less important on top.

The set up is also wrong. It needs a vertically oriented piece of wood, preferably one wide enough for the tarantula to stretch out on and hunt from. the plants should be surrounding the top of the wood, while the floor should remain completely clear of any clutter...pretty much the opposite of how it is now.

Hvk91

Arachnopeon
Invert the box like mine
I've was wondering about that. Use some hot glue for the vents that are on the top. I've got some vines I could use. Should I hot glue some cork bark in there as well as vines? Or to much clutter just use the vines.

ok...the albo could use a bigger enclosure....its ventilation type isnt all that important.

The avic needs more venting on the sides...its less important on top.

The set up is also wrong. It needs a vertically oriented piece of wood, preferably one wide enough for the tarantula to stretch out on and hunt from. the plants should be surrounding the top of the wood, while the floor should remain completely clear of any clutter...pretty much the opposite of how it is now.
What size enclosure would you reccomend for the albo? Is it ready for a full adult enclosure? I went simple on housing because I underestimated its size. The box it was in was the shorter version of the avic with one piece of cork bark it was perched on.

Have plans for the avic thanks to the other member who posted :)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
What size enclosure would you reccomend for the albo?
2x leg span length and width minimum, I wouldn't go much over 3x leg span length and 2x leg span width though.

You also want to make sure there isn't too much vertical space, general rule is there should be no more than 1.5x leg span between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure (so if your spider has a leg span of 4" and the enclosure is 12" tall you would need to have at least 6" of substrate to make it safe).

Hvk91

Arachnopeon
Ok peeps. Take two. Remodeled last night. I think the albo has enough room and the avic has the height and ventalitation. Better?
20200209_172904.jpg 20200209_172421.jpg

Last edited:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Ok peeps. Take two. Remodeled last night. I think the albo has enough room and the avic has the height and ventalitation. Better?
View attachment 333525
You should've glued the cork bark up where the foliage is, so, your Avic has a proper place to rest and to hunt from. The T has no use of it on the ground.