Rate my set up please

AvicAmy

Arachnopeon
Hey all, new keeper here. Rehoused my wee Avic Avic from the kritter keeper it came in to a proper arboreal enclosure upon advice from here.
For context, the enclosure is in a darker corner of the room with no direct sun, and sits around 76•. Cork, small amount of sphagnum moss and soil.
Real pothos plants that came with original set up, might remove but my experience with this plant it needs very little ambient light to live.

Question: what are you thoughts on attaching the water dish higher in the enclosure? I see mixed opinions in this for arboreals.

Thanks!

Attachments

USNGunner

Arachnosquire
I hot glue water dishes one high, one mid level and leave one on the substrate. I've seen my C. Versicolor use all 3. Cheap insurance. :cool:

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
I keep mine on the floor. But really, it’s only because I have zero DIY skills and don’t own a glue gun…

Dave’s Little Beasties loves his high glued milk bottle lids.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I keep water bowl at ground

I’ve put them up top- used and get webbed over too

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I keep dishes on the ground and regularly catch my Aviculariinae drinking from them, usually just prior to moulting

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Question: what are you thoughts on attaching the water dish higher in the enclosure? I see mixed opinions in this for arboreals.
I seldom (if ever) see my Avicularia drinking from a ground-level water dish, but I have seen them drink from dishes mounted higher up.

I keep mine on the floor. But really, it’s only because I have zero DIY skills and don’t own a glue gun…
I use these Command soap dishes from Walmart. The mounting brackets have a sticky backing -- no hot glue needed -- and you can lift the dish out for cleaning. However, you do have to fill in the drainage hole so that the dish will hold water.

I like that they have a gentle slope, allowing the Avic to drink from multiple angles.

Last edited:

AvicAmy

Arachnopeon
I seldom (if ever) see my Avicularia drinking from a ground-level water dish, but I have seen them drink from dishes mounted higher up.

I use these Command soap dishes from Walmart. The mounting brackets have a sticky backing -- no hot glue needed -- and you can lift the dish out for cleaning. However, you do have to fill in the drainage hole so that the dish will hold water.

I like that they have a gentle slope, allowing the Avic to drink from multiple angles.

This is genius. Too big for her current enclosure but when she grows she getting one of these!