Rate my Caribena versicolor enclosure!

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Good start but glue in some more plastic leaves. You want it to look like a tree with the same overhead cover as a tree and right now the two leaves are just off to one side. I’d try to get some silk leaves too that are more malleable and glue them in place on the sides and ceiling.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Looks good, but I'd follow @EtienneN's suggestions. :)

Where will the water dish go?
Also, you don't need those little cones (or whatever it is) on the ground, more space for the water dish. ;)

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
Alright, so added the water dish and a couple more leaves (2 fake flower petals) and introduced the little guy to its new home. The problem was that they should be called the Houdini tarantula! It kept crawling outside the enclosure and onto my hand and arm and I had difficulty getting it into the new enclosure. This is gonna be a tough T to manage

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
The problem was that they should be called the Houdini tarantula! It kept crawling outside the enclosure and onto my hand and arm and I had difficulty getting it into the new enclosure. This is gonna be a tough T to manage
Avics and their kin can be a bit flighty, but once it settles in, it should try to retreat into its safe space when disturbed rather than bolt.

Still, to be on the safe side, it doesn't hurt to put the container in a bin whenever you have to open it. This will buy you some time if the spider tries to make a bid for freedom.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
So here we go:

What do you guys think??
I would have made the enclosure the opposite side up as they will spend all there time up top and just glue foliage to the top of it leaving the bottom half for just substrate and a water dish making maintenance extremely easy. Just what I’d do though you’re enclosure does seem fine to me

Last edited:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Good start but glue in some more plastic leaves. You want it to look like a tree with the same overhead cover as a tree and right now the two leaves are just off to one side. I’d try to get some silk leaves too that are more malleable and glue them in place on the sides and ceiling.
Why should one glue plants or bark? I se no point in glueing stuff. Just put them in there!

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Why should one glue plants or bark? I se no point in glueing stuff. Just put them in there!
Glueing helps spread out the surface area of the leaves and creates a canopy for them to web under. It's just personal preference though in how one decides to offer anchor points. Ideally if you put in extra foliage that is just going to go in straight up and down like it already has; it's good to provide plants of varying heights and have at least one plant that goes almost to the ceiling on one of the sides.

I only really say this for Avicularinae since they spend their whole lives in trees and live in leaves.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I glue but only in avic enclosures, let them use the side of the glass as a vertical surface while fake leaves are glued to the top to create a canopy for them to build there home it also makes maintaining it so much easier

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
I think it's settling, evidence that when i opened the enclosure to feed it it got ito spowls but when i nudged its legs it when back in instead of scurrying around.

I heard this is a relatively quick grower, I'm planning on feeding it every other day until it goes into premolt. It's under an inch atm (½-⅓ of an inch I think) what do you guys think?

Oh, and of course I had to glue the leaves and the cork bark, no other way for an arboreal enclosure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I thought we could maybe use this thread for further Avicularia/Caribena/Ybyrapora enclosure pictures, so we can build a collection to link to for new keepers of these species for inspiration and/or advice-seeking purposes. What do you think? :)

I just finish the new and probably/hopefully forever home for Mrs Blue Berry, my C. versicolor. It's my first Exo Terra glass enclosure (8"x8"x12") and I always wanted to put her in a proper display enclosure when she's big enough. :snaphappy::kiss:

I removed the foam background as it took up way too much space. And of course, I replaced the mesh lid with an acrylic sheet with loads of drilled vent holes. ;)

20190914_123529.jpg

picture from above
20190914_123620.jpg

and a more upwards picture
20190914_123438.jpg

And believe me, it looks way denser in person. ;) Do you think she'll like it?

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I think it's settling, evidence that when i opened the enclosure to feed it it got ito spowls but when i nudged its legs it when back in instead of scurrying around.

I heard this is a relatively quick grower, I'm planning on feeding it every other day until it goes into premolt. It's under an inch atm (½-⅓ of an inch I think) what do you guys think?

Oh, and of course I had to glue the leaves and the cork bark, no other way for an arboreal enclosure.
It’s not the fastest grower but generally arboreal grow faster than terrestrial so that’s where the faster growing comes into it compared to some other arboreal it’s a pretty slow growing species. Feeding it every other day will just make it fast for a longer period before the moult IME there not a ferocious eater so won’t eat right up until a moult so probably best sticking to every 3rd day if you want to feed it a lot I’d say that’s about the most it could take.