Rat pics!

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I decided to start a new thread, this way i can put all my rat pictures on here, instead of confusing others with my "rat keeping" thread.

A big thanks to everyone who helped me with them, and a big thanks to fierce Deity too!

I named the male Socrates, and would like some suggestions for my female's name :)

Socrates (male-brown)

Socrates again

Heres my female (unnamed, black)

Sorry for the horrible pics...i was kinda in a hurry, and didn't take much time. The corn bread is a TREAT only, i use it only when trying to get them to come closer to me (working on getting them to tame down a bit) and for pictures, i feed them a kind of rat food i got from petco, as well as various fruits and vegetables.

also, i fixed the cage problem today. i used chicken wire and zip-ties to completely close off the bars, to make sure they dont escape. we cutt off all the sharp ends too, so they cant hurt themselves :)

Hope you like ;P

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Heres Kiwi. Shes a double rex. Best personality EVER!! We love her very much!!! We found her at the SaltLake City Reptile Expo on a feeder rat table.. :D

Last edited:

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
:drool: :drool: :drool: i want one of those hairless rats sooo bad!

Tomorow im getting more bedding for my male, and hopefully a nice, big two story cage for him, and only him for now :)

Also, when my female has babies, what are the odds ill get a hairless? i reaaally want one:razz:

Katronmaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So cute!

my mate has rats, a pair of hooded ones named Frankenstein and Igor.
And my best friend has a hairless and a hairless-rex mix. The hairless is "Streaker" and the mixed is " N.A.N.N." (Nameless and nearly naked!)

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The only thing keeping me from getting rats is their terribly short lifespan. I could not bear to get attached to something to have it die in a few years. Nice rats people!

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Katronmaster, I have a friend with a nekkid rat named Streaker, too :razz:

Tleilaxu, I couldn't agree with you more... 'cept, it is sooo worth it to enjoy them for the short time they grace your life. :) Who else will do ROdentistry for "cheap"? ..or thoroughly check your schnozzle for "wigglers".. and I do mean THOROUGHLY! :D They also give great ear exams... whisker tickles are free, of course, but you could "tip" them with a treat for their trouble. Mine like red grapes! {D

Ratties are very special critters! Intelligent beyond our own understanding. Just give them some love and they will return it thousands of times over.

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
awww, I love the rattie pictures!! very cute!! I used to keep ratties when I was younger, but the live-in boyfriend will not permit them so I am ratless now (snakes, tarantulas and scorpions are welcomed with open arms, but rats he will not permit--go figure). They were great pets and learned tricks as fast as puppies. Your pictures bring back happy memories! Thanks!

8ball

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you want a more healthier treat to give them you should give them peices of dog biscuits. I give my rats 1 peice each everyday and they love them, plus it also helps keep their teeth trimmed

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Haven't updated in a loong time, so here's some pics:

Socrates and Leela's kids....14 that is. someone's gonna be paying child support for a while:

Here's the new cage for my 3 girls, socrates is living here for now:

There's 14 pups alltogether, im keeping 2-3 females to go with my one adult, and am keeping one male to go with my other. I have sevral people all ready wanting some, so they all have good homes.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Cute babies!!

Feed momma lots of extras.. scrambled eggs, chicken, tuna, cheese, cottage cheese, soy milk, baby cereal, fruits, fresh steamed veggies and cooked rice, pasta and so on. She needs it to provide enough nutrients for her youngun's :D

Here's a pic of Tiffany chowing down before heading back to "milk truck" duty

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Come hither, I shall feed these rats to my fat little doppleganger Goomba the chieftain.

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey Spencer congrats! How old are the little pups?
Exactly 5 days. they haven't opened their eyes, but are moving about like crazy already. im using a 50 gallon storage tub with a big hide for momma and her babies.

Come hither, I shall feed these rats to my fat little doppleganger Goomba the chieftain.
Im just gonna go over thither...for a while....:?

TNeal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love rats. As far as I am concerend they are the best pet to teach youngsters on animal care. They are cute (Except the hairless ones - yuck - sorry), intelligent, loving, ect. ect. I have raised 100's of them in the past.

On a side note, it would be the day that anyone would tell me what I can and can't keep. Just ask my wonderful wife of almost 21 years. {D

froggyman

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
you should really enjoy your rats mine were very sweet and loved to be held

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
whoo! I'm excited cause I just got my third and final rat. A dumbo came in with our shipment of our usual feeders. He's the cutest little thing. He gets really excited chewing on my finger though. I have to wait until he's a similar size to put into the bigger cage with my other two males but I did put their two cages side by side. Is there anything else I can do to slowly introduce them?

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Damn now i want a fuzzy little rat now... (i have had rodents before, but i didnt take good care, i was 12 when i had them what do you expect?)

Hmmm between the ants roaches tarantulas and Mantids.. a Rat would be pushing it...

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
whoo! I'm excited cause I just got my third and final rat. A dumbo came in with our shipment of our usual feeders. He's the cutest little thing. He gets really excited chewing on my finger though. I have to wait until he's a similar size to put into the bigger cage with my other two males but I did put their two cages side by side. Is there anything else I can do to slowly introduce them?

You can put some vanilla flavoring on their "tushes" and intro them slowly in the bathtub... a neutral place. Intro the baby to the non-Alpha male first, then the Alpha. It's a good idea to have something really yummy in a plate big enough for everyone to join in and eat together... baby food, baby cereal with soy milk or some Ensure or Boost, pudding, etc.

I've done all of the above with intros and they've gone quite smoothly. Just be prepared with a water bottle.. the squirt kind.. and a dust pan or stiff piece of cardboard to break up any really nasty fights. And remember, "no blood no foul" is the golden rule. Even if it gets squeaky and loud, if there's no blood, let them work it out. This is the toughest part.

Good Luck!

~Aminah

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah i've seen some bigger rats grab smaller ones by the tail and drag em but no big deal. I'm not sure which one is dominant between the two older rats but I'm assuming it's the fat one {D