Rare new world spiders

Crispy9168

Arachnopeon
Xenesthis info?

so I have a chance to get a spider as a gift. Is there any rare new world spider anyone could recommend? I was thinking a xenesthis. Does anyone know what they're like (ie demeanor, feeding, husbandry, etc.) Thanks!

Last edited:

acidrain842

Arachnopeon
They're pretty skittish, fast, and don't hesitate to kick hairs. Not the nicest species, but definitely gorgeous.70-80% humidity is about right. Normal feedings of crickets will be fine.

acidrain842

Arachnopeon
I know males mature around 2 years. and females around 3 i believe, so growth rate is pretty quick.As always though growth rate depends on the diet, conditions of the t's enclosures temperature, humidity, ect. females can go anywhere from 8-15 years life span wise.

LisaD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have one, and it's not one of my favorites. It's very leggy and doesn't move around much. When it is defensive, mine doesn't kick hairs, just sticks its abdomen in the air.

While they aren't always beginner level, there are many less common Avicularia species. These are mellow, if fast, not generally very defensive, make webs.

For terrestrial Ts, look to some of the less common Brachypelma.

It's not rare, but my P cambridgei is an awesome T. It is out a lot, made an interesting web/tunnel from a piece of corkbark, is big and beautiful.

You didn't say what you are looking for, rather than rare and NW. Any other guidelines?

Crispy9168

Arachnopeon
Terrestrial, prefferably. Also something not horribly aggressive (like an obt). I mean hair kicking doesn't matter too much but if it tries to bite me when I reach in the cage, that's an issue. I was thinking a metriopelma sp. (www.swiftinverts.com) as well. The reason I want something rare is because I was told to pick something expensive. Sort of a graduation gift (long story).

Musicwolf

Arachnoknight
Terrestrial, prefferably. Also something not horribly aggressive (like an obt). I mean hair kicking doesn't matter too much but if it tries to bite me when I reach in the cage, that's an issue. I was thinking a metriopelma sp. (www.swiftinverts.com) as well. The reason I want something rare is because I was told to pick something expensive. Sort of a graduation gift (long story).
If I had a graduation gift choice (and wanted NW), I'd go with a nice size confirmed female GBB :D - nope, strike that - - nice size confirmed female B. Baumgarteni - yep, that's what I'd get!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think people get too hung up on the rarity of a given species and don't think about things like temperament, care requirements and less defineable things like tendency to hide or display, feeding habits, and so on. It is these things that make an individual spider my least/most favorite. Some of my most favored T's are among the less rare of my collection. P. cambridgei, B. albopilosum, this one G. rosea, A. metallica, these are the specimens I get more enjoyment from. On the flip side, C. marshalli, E. pachypus, A. witchitanum, A. sp "huahcuca"; all are more rare than the previous but also less interesting. (In my opinion)

I guess I'm saying don't buy a spider just because it's rare. And if you do buy a particularly rare spider it is basically your duty to try and breed it when the time comes.

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Go for a G Pulchra. They are somewhat rare, and pretty docile. Very active and makes a great display T.

Crispy9168

Arachnopeon
I've really been looking for one but they are difficult to find. Any online dealers have them?

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One of my favorite tarantulas that I own isn't rare, but is awesome none the less. Acanthoscurria geniculata! Aggressive feeder, beautiful coloring, and handleable!

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
Aphonopelma Bicoloratum

Mexican Bloodlegs, are not only EXTREMELY BEAUTIFUL, but their temperment, is that of a fat housecat. They are fairly rare, but worth every penny when you find one. I wish I would have never gotten rid of mine.:8o

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've really been looking for one but they are difficult to find. Any online dealers have them?
pulchra? Those things are everywhere these days.The classifieds is always full of them.

Armstrong5

Arachnosquire
+1 on the Nhandu Tripepii and also about the xenethis they are awesome I love mine its always out though quick to run in its burrow if disturbed but talk about beauty and awesome feeding response its at the top of my list.GBB's are also an awesome new worlder.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you are looking for something expensive, I think you should get a REALLY nice terrerium with all the fixings and a confirmed female of whatever species you choose. This way, if something happens to the t, you still have a a really nice setup for a new t.