Rare new world spiders

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
Something strikes me as funny here... "I want to buy a rare tarantula" "Get a G. pulchra" "I can never find them"

Rare tarantulas are going to be hard to find.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There's surely a difference between "not as easy to find and/or expensive" and truly rare.

M. balfouri used to be fairly rare (in the captive market, mind you), not so much now because people have been successful breeding them. Same thing goes with P. metallica a few years ago. The same thing could also be said of some species like X. immanis, some harder to find Pamphobeteus spp, and so on.

Also, sometimes there will be spiders that are very difficult to breed for a variety of reasons. Take C.Cyaneopubescens (GBB) they used to be pretty hard to find because breeders were finding it difficult to "break the code" of breeding them. People now know more of the fine tuning specifics necessary to keep the males alive and encourage the female to keep the sac. Now they are easier to find. Edit: This problem still exists with Theraphosa species, although WC adults are sadly abundant, but they have proven quite difficult to actually breed so you don't see very many slings on the market.

So if you want a less common spider, go ahead and get one. If you want something truly rare, well maybe you should wait. Truly rare species such as E. olivacea. P. smithi, P.hanumavilasumica... let the seasoned breeders have those. They'll make more and we can buy them cheaper later.