Rant

Pokeroo

Arachnopeon
How do you buy a Tarantula (or any other spider, insect, animal etc) and do no reading about their care whatsoever? I see these posts sometimes, most recently on FB, about [paraphrasing] 'my new Tarantula was upside down I thought it was dead. It was just shedding its skin it turns out, what a relief....'

I've cared for Tarantulas, reptiles and other animals before. I've been away from T's from some time and am back into it with some new slings. I have questions to clear things up and to remind myself of info I've forgotten as well as seeing new approaches, but REALLY not even a basic understanding of what your new pet does/requires?!

I can't say I'm surprised or that's it's anything new but it just makes me shake my head. Thanks Rant over.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Could not agree more, and very legit rant, really.
When I issued my first order, knowing that this is it, in a few my first pet-spider will arrive, I was worried that weeks of intensive (really intensive) research and studying might not have been enough and I might harm that little things because I'm ignorant.
Turned out my worries where unfounded and so far it's going really well.

And then I stumble over people you described above, and just like you, I shake my head. In awe, in disbelief, in disagreement...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How do you buy a Tarantula (or any other spider, insect, animal etc) and do no reading about their care whatsoever? I see these posts sometimes, most recently on FB, about [paraphrasing] 'my new Tarantula was upside down I thought it was dead. It was just shedding its skin it turns out, what a relief....'

I've cared for Tarantulas, reptiles and other animals before. I've been away from T's from some time and am back into it with some new slings. I have questions to clear things up and to remind myself of info I've forgotten as well as seeing new approaches, but REALLY not even a basic understanding of what your new pet does/requires?!

I can't say I'm surprised or that's it's anything new but it just makes me shake my head. Thanks Rant over.

Agreed. This type of post needs to be in the Chat forum, not the Questions and Discussions one.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
There are two kinds of pet owners: those that do research before buying the pet, and <edit>.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokeroo

Arachnopeon
Agreed. This type of post needs to be in the Chat forum, not the Questions and Discussions one.
Yes my mistake. Can I move it or just be more mindful of what forum I'm posting to next time?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I also quoted the truth..and nothing is more valuable than that. :cool:
Oh no, no :stop: Wait. I do agree with that. Go figure.
Just that if someone click on the 'Report' probably that would be 'Edited by', that's all :-s

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes my mistake. Can I move it or just be more mindful of what forum I'm posting to next time?
We can't move posts nor delete them, only mods can. You could report yourself though.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I also quoted the truth..and nothing is more valuable than that. :cool:
Actually @Kendricks quoting someone who has made a TOS violation, is in itself a TOS violation. I should know, I was given points for doing exactly what you did MANY years ago. You may indeed get points on your profile, and you may not.

On top of that, if you try and edit your post now, there's a record of the original text, so the mods will know what one had in there, and that the person changed it too, in essence one cannot cover their tracks.

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
Actually @Kendricks quoting someone who has made a TOS violation, is in itself a TOS violation. I should know, I was given points for doing exactly what you did MANY years ago. You may indeed get points on your profile, and you may not.

On top of that, if you try and edit your post now, there's a record of the original text, so the mods will know what one had in there, and that the person changed it too, in essence one cannot cover their tracks.
Well, without wanting to start a futile debate (because rules are rules), I honestly don't understand such strict rules. No need for Sodom and Gomorrha, but a 'bad' word here and there isn't the end of the world, nor civilization.
Meaning: I don't really care, and if there must be consequences, so be it, I'll live.
But that's just my pov and of course, rules are rules.
(Very American rules if I may add. :hungry:)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well, without wanting to start a futile debate (because rules are rules), I honestly don't understand such strict rules. No need for Sodom and Gomorrha, but a 'bad' word here and there isn't the end of the world, nor civilization.
Meaning: I don't really care, and if there must be consequences, so be it, I'll live.
But that's just my pov and of course, rules are rules.
(Very American rules if I may add. :hungry:)
Trust me I know, I had the points assigned to ME, and I said "but I didn't know...."....and they understood this and I still got points!

It's an American owned forum ;)

Rules are indeed rules haha

And we do have children that come here at times, plus you let in bad language and it's a slippery slope down hill as there are too many keyboard warriors out there.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Technically my man can be fixed (if someone wants, uh... just saying) since the "Edit" time is still on.

- Step 1: nicodimus22 "Edit" his comment, removing/changing that word

- Step 2: Kendricks "Edit" as well his comment containing the quote with that word

- I leave my comments because are 'of best' :cigar:

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
And we do have children that come here at times
This will probably cause time to freeze for a moment while the whole universe holds its breath in awe but:

So?

I find it completely ridiculous and hypocritical (not directed at you!) to act as if
a) a child (age?) will 'suffer' from hearing ot reading such words and
b) they never heard it before anyways.

It's not the words or their occasional use that is to blame, it's mostly the way kids are raised in general, or rather: in what environment, I'd argue.

I find it amuzing that in the US American culture, the worst imaginable thing that could happen, is to "drop a word-bomb", while the pop-culture people, and especially children/young people, bathe in is I full of abuse, violence, greed, lies and all kinds of other questionable 'values' and priorities.
If one struggles to see what I mean, watch TV for a few minutes...

But hey, as long as no one drops said bombs - people are safe, civilization maintained, order restored. Phew!

Tl;dr: I think the 'problem' is blown out of proportion, a lot, and people often overreact completely - as is often seen on message boards.
To me, it would only become a problem if people (ab)use these words too often/are unable to make an argument without them altogether, or use them to insult other members etc.

But again, that's just me and now I'm quiet. :eek:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Some people act as though EVERYTHING revolves around children, and that annoys me. Some of it does, and some of it doesn't. I should be able to watch something like Dredd or Deadpool. The rating system exists for a reason.

In the context of an internet forum, you generally have to be at least 13 to have an account. How long do people plan on sheltering 13-year olds from naughty words? :rofl:

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
This will probably cause time to freeze for a moment while the whole universe holds its breath in awe but:

So?

I find it completely ridiculous and hypocritical (not directed at you!) to act as if
a) a child (age?) will 'suffer' from hearing ot reading such words and
b) they never heard it before anyways.

It's not the words or their occasional use that is to blame, it's mostly the way kids are raised in general, or rather: in what environment, I'd argue.

I find it amuzing that in the US American culture, the worst imaginable thing that could happen, is to "drop a word-bomb", while the pop-culture people, and especially children/young people, bathe in is I full of abuse, violence, greed, lies and all kinds of other questionable 'values' and priorities.
If one struggles to see what I mean, watch TV for a few minutes...

But hey, as long as no one drops said bombs - people are safe, civilization maintained, order restored. Phew!

Tl;dr: I think the 'problem' is blown out of proportion, a lot, and people often overreact completely - as is often seen on message boards.
To me, it would only become a problem if people (ab)use these words too often/are unable to make an argument without them altogether, or use them to insult other members etc.

But again, that's just me and now I'm quiet. :eek:
Haha, I agree with this whole-heartedly. I am 14 and although I myself have a rule about cussing (sort of a mental barrier, I've cussed 3 times at most in my life in like 4th grade) I'm the only person who has such a thing in my grade at my school, and 99% of my fellow 8th graders (in my whole school district) at least cuss sparingly. Some of my good friends "drop the f bomb" once every 5 sentences or so lol.

However, I understand and agree with the no cussing rule here on AB. Some people do have sensitive ears (eyes in this case).

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I do completely agree (and quite frankly, understand) with you guys.

But we need to remember this: we are equal here. If me, you, others presents start to use those words even if we use those only in a completely top notch/make sense/100% agree with, context, so... well, others on my book have such 'right' as well.

Because Chris LXXIX isn't better/more important/whatever that the one arrived today. And then to end in no time with a lot of posts containing everything is behind the corner and the situation becomes crappy to deal with.

I'm certain that the owners and the whole staff of this site are amazing people with a patience that not even "those of the Bible".
Proof of that: I'm still here infesting this site :-s

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
Researching a potential pet is fun! Having everything all ready and set up before the critter even comes home is fun. I can critique my set ups and redo them over and over until everything is *just right*. Then I can watch my new critter and recognize the behaviors that I learned about earlier. "ohhh, look! its grooming! thats so cool" instead of "What is it doing?! I need help"