Rant

Rob1985

This user has no status.
If I knew the answer to your question I could solve a lot of the world's problems. We are human and are often impulsive.

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
I actually researched for a month about everything ill need to know before entering the hobby because i am really dedicated into it and i plan to be in the hobby for a long time to the point that i see myself in the future teaching my kids about my owned T species and going to my local distributor to buy their own 1st T(its in the bucket list actually :))

The same cannot be said to those people who woke up one morning,thinking they want something new and unique in their lives and think,"hey,why not a tarantula?".these are the type of people who,i think, have actually little to no interest into keeping their Ts for a long time,they just gotta have it during that moment and does little to no research at all.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This will probably cause time to freeze for a moment while the whole universe holds its breath in awe but:

So?

I find it completely ridiculous and hypocritical (not directed at you!) to act as if
a) a child (age?) will 'suffer' from hearing ot reading such words and
b) they never heard it before anyways.

It's not the words or their occasional use that is to blame, it's mostly the way kids are raised in general, or rather: in what environment, I'd argue.

I find it amuzing that in the US American culture, the worst imaginable thing that could happen, is to "drop a word-bomb", while the pop-culture people, and especially children/young people, bathe in is I full of abuse, violence, greed, lies and all kinds of other questionable 'values' and priorities.
If one struggles to see what I mean, watch TV for a few minutes...

But hey, as long as no one drops said bombs - people are safe, civilization maintained, order restored. Phew!

Tl;dr: I think the 'problem' is blown out of proportion, a lot, and people often overreact completely - as is often seen on message boards.
To me, it would only become a problem if people (ab)use these words too often/are unable to make an argument without them altogether, or use them to insult other members etc.

But again, that's just me and now I'm quiet. :eek:

Without doubt there is a lot of hypocrisy in this country. I'm not saying the rules are right or wrong, they don't affect me. I'm only giving you a broader perspective of the USA, as I do not now how familiar you are with its culture. Clearly there's quite a bit you do know haha.

However, not everyone is going to use curse words in a non-combative manner. Many will, esp when disagreements arise, and no child should have to see that, and no parent should have to explain that if the parents aren't ready to.

As for pop culture it's just crap plain and simple.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Haha, I agree with this whole-heartedly. I am 14 and although I myself have a rule about cussing (sort of a mental barrier, I've cussed 3 times at most in my life in like 4th grade) I'm the only person who has such a thing in my grade at my school, and 99% of my fellow 8th graders (in my whole school district) at least cuss sparingly. Some of my good friends "drop the f bomb" once every 5 sentences or so lol.

However, I understand and agree with the no cussing rule here on AB. Some people do have sensitive ears (eyes in this case).
Just wait until you start highscool, then 8th grade will seem like a light-hearted sitcom.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just wait until you start highscool, then 8th grade will seem like a light-hearted sitcom.
True. High school is probably the most perverse part of one's life at least in the USA. I've never gone through a portion of life where virtually EVERYTHING that is NOT important to life and being a good person, is examined under a microscope and magnified to a level of "if you don't do this, you are not cool".

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
As a person who has kept all sorts of different animals, birds, cats, dogs, fish, reptiles, now Ts, etc I see the exact issue on a daily basis. The biggest issue, aside from the obvious lack of preparedness, is those same people are also the most common who refuse ANY advice on their animals.
My favorite was the person who was keeping an adult Leopard gecko in a 10gal, on Sand, with just a UVB/Heat bulb. They couldn't understand why the Leo wouldn't eat and hadn't defecated in weeks. When informed of possible impaction, along with all the other issues, myself and others were told "Well my aunt is a 'Herpatallagist' she said it's ok like this!" Yes, they spelled it exactly like that. :banghead:
Anyhow, I am also a parent and I agree that children should be protected from a lot of things, but the occasional vulgar word used without malice is not one of them. Still, rules are rules so I do my best to follow them. Even if I agree that some people are a------ :D

Icculus

Arachnosquire
How do you buy a Tarantula (or any other spider, insect, animal etc) and do no reading about their care whatsoever? I see these posts sometimes, most recently on FB, about [paraphrasing] 'my new Tarantula was upside down I thought it was dead. It was just shedding its skin it turns out, what a relief....'

I've cared for Tarantulas, reptiles and other animals before. I've been away from T's from some time and am back into it with some new slings. I have questions to clear things up and to remind myself of info I've forgotten as well as seeing new approaches, but REALLY not even a basic understanding of what your new pet does/requires?!

I can't say I'm surprised or that's it's anything new but it just makes me shake my head. Thanks Rant over.
Most people agree that most people are stupid. As far as the swearing.... what they don't learn at home they learn at school from kids with poor parenting. Trust me