Rant about tarantulas' behaviour

ohnono

Arachnopeon
You'll be missing the OBT hug threat! :eek:
Lol... seriously though, I don't plan on having any OWs. To me, it's just not worth it. I know of a guy who was in the hobby for 30 years and was never once bitten until none other than frikkin S.calceatum got him. He got rid of all his OWs the same day... Plus, frankly, I don't like them at all. They all look evil to me. :angelic: I mean, compare any, say, Poecilotheria with, say, my dear C.versicolor (sorry for bringing her up again but I'm seriously in love with that animal :rofl:) - camouflaged sneaky demon vs. colorful fluffy angel? Hmm let me think... :p

I apologize to all OWs fans but I hate them all. :D

ohnono

Arachnopeon
I guess I love the dark side. lmao :vamp:

It all boils down to personal preference after all, no harm there. I also don't like OW's at first until I got one and got more of them. :rofl:
Oh, I've heard that story many times and some people are trying to convince me that I'm gonna love them once I get my first one and I'm like... Listen. I don't want a huge collection, in fact I am not "collecting" spiders at all, I only want to keep species I find most beautiful and there are something like twenty of those and none of them are OW. I just don't like them. I like cute things and there are no cute OWs. They are ugly. They are evil. They are faster than light. They bite and it's hell. My husband says he'll divorce me if I get one. They are just not for me. :angelic:

The dark side? I feed mine by watching serial killers documentaries before bed :smug:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Same here, but the guy I got her from told me she is out and about all the time. I thought he was maybe exaggerating a bit but he obviously wasn't which is pretty cool.

Oh boy... ok, here goes:
B.smithi enclosure is one of those with sliding doors that open from front and are somehow very easy to push open so yes I duct taped it from outside on each side and there's no way she can open it again. Who said anything about covering vent holes?! :eek:

Yes, I know "tarantulas will sometimes wander if cage conditions are particularly poor" but sometimes they will wander because it's tuesday and they want to... we actually DON'T KNOW why they do it, now do we? And judging by this very thread, my B.smithi is nowhere near being special in her crazy behaviour. Plus, just like with my P.irminia, the friend I got her from warned me she is nuts and she was with him ever since she was a tiny sling. She is six years old now.

I didn't know about burrowing arboreals. Now I know so thanks!

And as far as doing things with my hands is concerned, come on now... I might be crazy, but I'm far from supid :p and I am perfectly aware of the fact I am putting myself (and worse, my spiders! :angelic:) at some risk but... First - I work much MUCH faster without tongs so I'm outta there in a sec, and second - I don't really mess with my A.geniculata. I always go in when she is on the other side of her home. It is HER who always comes to me... sloooowly... I can't help it if she wants to bond! :rofl:
Also, I am perfectly aware my C.versicolor is able to catch a bug by herself but I feel so sorry for poor little clumsy, it takes her so looong :banghead:... and I seriously couldn't care less if she bites me so there's also that :D
Joking aside, I've been bitten by a giant amstaff and somehow I survived so I believe I'll somehow survive even if my Geniculata bites me. :p Of course I would never do any of this with an OW, heck, I don't ever plan on keeping one at all! :eek:
Half the reason I make long ranty comments like that is to perhaps help someone new to the hobby browsing the forums. The other half is to tell op I don't like what they're doing. ;)

"Sometimes" is the key word. And no, it's not the norm for a settled tarantula to wander and climb constantly unless it is a mature male.

Picking out boli with your fingers is just gross. You do you.

Uh huh, until you're bitten you really don't know how you'll react.

Don't judge something you've never kept. It's fine to be turned off by a species, but saying so much negative about them with no firsthand experience is wrong.

ohnono

Arachnopeon
Half the reason I make long ranty comments like that is to perhaps help someone new to the hobby browsing the forums. The other half is to tell op I don't like what they're doing. ;)

"Sometimes" is the key word. And no, it's not the norm for a settled tarantula to wander and climb constantly unless it is a mature male.

Picking out boli with your fingers is just gross. You do you.

Uh huh, until you're bitten you really don't know how you'll react.

Don't judge something you've never kept. It's fine to be turned off by a species, but saying so much negative about them with no firsthand experience is wrong.
Cool. I always liked people who are not lazy to share their knowledge to help people. I am tho :D so I'm not here to tell people how to do stuff but to pretty much chat and have fun. In what was basically my first sentence ever written on this forum (called Tarantula CHAT, go figure :smug:) I've stated I'm a beginner so I don't believe someone's gonna come here, read my obviously silly post and copy some clearly silly things I do. No, they are going to read my posts and maybe laugh and then they are going to read yours and maybe learn something so there... we all have our place under the sun. :angelic:

Just like you somehow read I duct taped vent holes and I never wrote it, you somehow managed to read my T climbs which I also never wrote. :D Who climbs? Where? My B.smithi walks around, she doesn't climb. She climbed MY wall once but she doesn't climb her own walls :rofl:... And she walks around since she was a sling so it has absolutely nothing to do with me. It's all her. :angelic:

Picking up boli with my fingers is a lot less gross than changing diapers or cutting a piece of fresh meat... come on dude, don't be ridiculous lol

I've been bitten by AMSTAFF. And it's an understatement because he almost killed me. I have a nice set of XXL scars, wanna see? :p So I know how I'm gonna react: I'm gonna be in pain and I'm gonna be angry and I'm gonna curse a LOT :D and soon enough it's all gonna be yesterday and I'm gonna have a scar and a story for my grandkids. I'm tough. I fought guys larger than myself and I won. Twice. :astonished:

Finally, I'm not judging anything. Check the dictionary. :p I said I don't like them because I don't. I said they are evil which is obviously a stupid joke. Lastly I said they are fast and their bite is hell. Are those not facts? And no, I DO NOT have to have first hand experience to know some things are just no-no for me, just like I do not have to try heroin to know it is not good. You are young but I hope you do understand it is much better for you to learn from others' people mistakes rather than from your own... I am old and unfortunately I've learned mostly through trial and error, so I'm simply trying to be smarter now (considering the fact is not cute to be completely reckless when you're in your forties :rofl:) and I'm trying to learn from others... I've heard too many ugly stories about OWs mate, waaaay too many... :dead:

(It took me forever to write this... essay :angelic: because my dearest sling is molting ATM and I'm checking it every few seconds :astonished:... it is streching now and it is around half an inch bigger so weee I'm so happy!)

There's that much of a visual difference to you?
well, yes... It's like this: I find ALL Ts fascinating (no matter if I personally want to keep them - all of them are magnificant creatures!) and I know a LOT of species because I really enjoy reading and watching videos about them (honestly, I believe I watch more videos about OWs because, well, I have NWs at home to observe :D) and of course there are some species I can't tell where they're from if I already don't know, but ever since I started learning about them I could pretty much guess if it's OW or NW just by looking at them. 95% of the time I guessed right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Cool. I always liked people who are not lazy to share their knowledge to help people. I am tho :D so I'm not here to tell people how to do stuff but to pretty much chat and have fun. In what was basically my first sentence ever written on this forum (called Tarantula CHAT, go figure :smug:) I've stated I'm a beginner so I don't believe someone's gonna come here, read my obviously silly post and copy some clearly silly things I do. No, they are going to read my posts and maybe laugh and then they are going to read yours and maybe learn something so there... we all have our place under the sun. :angelic:

Just like you somehow read I duct taped vent holes and I never wrote it, you somehow managed to read my T climbs which I also never wrote. :D Who climbs? Where? My B.smithi walks around, she doesn't climb. She climbed MY wall once but she doesn't climb her own walls :rofl:... And she walks around since she was a sling so it has absolutely nothing to do with me. It's all her. :angelic:

Picking up boli with my fingers is a lot less gross than changing diapers or cutting a piece of fresh meat... come on dude, don't be ridiculous lol

I've been bitten by AMSTAFF. And it's an understatement because he almost killed me. I have a nice set of XXL scars, wanna see? :p So I know how I'm gonna react: I'm gonna be in pain and I'm gonna be angry and I'm gonna curse a LOT :D and soon enough it's all gonna be yesterday and I'm gonna have a scar and a story for my grandkids. I'm tough. I fought guys larger than myself and I won. Twice. :astonished:

Finally, I'm not judging anything. Check the dictionary. :p I said I don't like them because I don't. I said they are evil which is obviously a stupid joke. Lastly I said they are fast and their bite is hell. Are those not facts? And no, I DO NOT have to have first hand experience to know some things are just no-no for me, just like I do not have to try heroin to know it is not good. You are young but I hope you do understand it is much better for you to learn from others' people mistakes rather than from your own... I am old and unfortunately I've learned mostly through trial and error, so I'm simply trying to be smarter now (considering the fact is not cute to be completely reckless when you're in your forties :rofl:) and I'm trying to learn from others... I've heard too many ugly stories about OWs mate, waaaay too many... :dead:

(It took me forever to write this... essay :angelic: because my dearest sling is molting ATM and I'm checking it every few seconds :astonished:... it is streching now and it is around half an inch bigger so weee I'm so happy!)
You'd be surprised how little common sense most people possess. Stick around for a couple months and see for yourself.

No. Just in case someone reading through thinks it's a good idea. It's not. I never thought you did that. Just saying if you have to rely on tape to keep a cage closed, you should get a different cage.

Well, there you go. Believe it or not, tarantulas walking around their enclosure is not uncommon. I didn't think anyone would even bring it up unless it was climbing.

Lol.. diapers.. that's fair. Define fresh.. raw? Or carving off an animal? Still nasty once you're feeding multiple superworms at once.. I try to avoid being bitten. Maybe I'm just the minority. :rolleyes:

Sorry, don't care about your scars or fights.

If people can keep 40+ years without being bitten, I think it's more a keeper issue. Perhaps someone trying hand feeding, or picking boli with their fingers.. ;) you don't want ows, fine. But your perception of them borders on fear mongering. And that's not fine

ohnono

Arachnopeon
omg broooo stop being so serious! you are still in high school for crying out loud, go outside and chase girls or guys or both, you don't have to be smart all the time! :D I could be your mother and I feel like I'm talking to my father :eek:

People get bit by ACCIDENT, what is it you don't understand? Nobody WANTS to be tagged! (except for, ummm, what was his name? The guy who provoked his OBT?)... Yeah, people can keep 40+ years without being bitten but it is NOT only because they were careful, they were also lucky! Accident can happen to ANYBODY, ANYTIME, that's why they are called accidents! You can be the most careful person ever and STILL get bit! Are you actually trying to tell me it is not true?! Come on... use your common sense :rofl:

And my fear is rational. Of course I am afraid of being in excruciating pain for hours on end followed by weeks or months of cramps and nausea! :eek: So to prevent going through all that I'm not gonna rely on luck, I'm just not gonna put myself in that situation at all, it's as simple as that! That is MY way of avoiding being bitten (by something MUCH more dangerous than A.geniculata). Maybe I'm just a minority. :rolleyes::p

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
omg broooo stop being so serious! you are still in high school for crying out loud, go outside and chase girls or guys or both, you don't have to be smart all the time! :D I could be your mother and I feel like I'm talking to my father :eek:
What relevance does age have to do with this? You said yourself you're a beginner, and venom is a very knowledgeable and experienced member here, just because you're older doesn't mean you know more.

People get bit by ACCIDENT, what is it you don't understand? Nobody WANTS to be tagged! (except for, ummm, what was his name? The guy who provoked his OBT?)... Yeah, people can keep 40+ years without being bitten but it is NOT only because they were careful, they were also lucky! Accident can happen to ANYBODY, ANYTIME, that's why they are called accidents! You can be the most careful person ever and STILL get bit! Are you actually trying to tell me it is not true?! Come on... use your common sense :rofl:
There's to avoiding being bitten than luck, you have to take precautions and be safe too. Like venom said, people can keep for decades and never get bitten, because they are careful, take the right precautions and in general minimize the amount of times they are in a position where a bite is even possible.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Hi there. I'm new to the hobby (less than a year) and I am... confused? My spiders are nuts? I have six slings and they all behave themselves but my adults and juveniles are driving me crazy! :arghh:
I know they are individuals and I've read about "docile" OBTs and "aggressive" Grammostolas but I believed those were pretty much exemptions from rules, so how's it possible that ALL my spiders are bloody exemptions?! Check this out:

My A.geniculata is a sweetheart. Such a darling creature. So gentle. She of course eats a LOT but she is soooo nice to those bugs it's disturbing :(. She never really attacks them, it's more like she's caressing them and apologizing for having to eat them. And she either completely ignores me when I'm doing maintenance or, more often than not, she walks up to me and slowly climbs onto my hand? I stopped using tongs around her altogether. She never bit me. She never kicks hairs. She is seven plus inches btw.

My 4" girl C.cyaneopubescens, on the other hand, is a total <edit>. I swear she is convinced she's Asian! She is unbelievably aggressive; as soon as I walk up to her enclosure she gets into a threat position, fangs out, and attacks everything in sight. I am terrified of her! And... she really doesn't web all that much?

B.smithi is always on the go... and I mean ALWAYS! I think she walks a mile every day. It's insane. I hate it. She acts like a mature male on steroids but she's definitely a girl (around 5"). The only thing she uses her hide for is to neatly put boluses in there. Sometimes she takes a bath - she literally walks right into her waterdish and pretty much submerges her whole body for a second or two, then walks out and shakes her legs like a frikking dog! And once she managed to open her enclosure and I found her calmly sitting on my bedroom door six feet above the ground! I almost had a heart attack! :eek: Her enclosure is duct-taped now. :grumpy:

My 3" P.irminia made a BURROW :dead: but never actually stays there. She is out in the open 90% of time. And I guess she enjoys it when I watch her poop because she literally poops only when I watch her. And she poops all over the place. Her enclosure is completely ratty, there's poop all over the glass, all over her cork bark, plants, substrate, water dish... EVERYWHERE! It is disgusting. FML.

And my favorite girl, my sweet and precious C.versicolor... is stupid as hell :banghead:. She doesn't know how to hunt! If I drop a cricket or a roach in front of her she goes bananas and she bounces around her enclosure running after them but she always misses them and then just lays there looking exhausted. So I feed her by hand. Yes, I hand-feed her. :angelic: Because she is terrified of tongs. She is also terrified of dubias and superworms. :meh:
And no, she never bit me. She takes bugs from my fingers in a very gentle manner. She is also around 5".

So there you go. Anybody else here whose whole collection misbehaves? :bored:

PS. Oh yes, they all have appropriately sized glass enclosures with appropriate amounts of substrate and hides and ventilation, my apartment is always nice and warm and moderately humid, it's pretty quiet, there are no bright lights, doors or windows nowhere near my spiders, all of them are well fed, nice and plump (not fat tho), they molt normally and generally speaking everything seems perfect other than, well, all of the above? So yeah...
Just a am tarantula being a tarantuling , :jimlad::shifty:species is irrelevant they all do wild stuff .
Unpredictable and some are generally more defense like obt but my g Porteri won’t hesitate to show her threat pose!!!
I have terrestrial who live on logs slightly above ground so like a aboreal would. :troll:
Expect the unexpected!!! Wooo exciting!
:cow:

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
Lol... seriously though, I don't plan on having any OWs. To me, it's just not worth it. I know of a guy who was in the hobby for 30 years and was never once bitten until none other than frikkin S.calceatum got him. He got rid of all his OWs the same day... Plus, frankly, I don't like them at all. They all look evil to me. :angelic: I mean, compare any, say, Poecilotheria with, say, my dear C.versicolor (sorry for bringing her up again but I'm seriously in love with that animal :rofl:) - camouflaged sneaky demon vs. colorful fluffy angel? Hmm let me think... :p

I apologize to all OWs fans but I hate them all. :D
Oh, I've heard that story many times and some people are trying to convince me that I'm gonna love them once I get my first one and I'm like... Listen. I don't want a huge collection, in fact I am not "collecting" spiders at all, I only want to keep species I find most beautiful and there are something like twenty of those and none of them are OW. I just don't like them. I like cute things and there are no cute OWs. They are ugly. They are evil. They are faster than light. They bite and it's hell. My husband says he'll divorce me if I get one. They are just not for me. :angelic:

The dark side? I feed mine by watching serial killers documentaries before bed :smug:
C versicolor are beautiful creatures and I want one soooo bad. That being said... have you seen a P metallica? My goodness, the color of those beauties. And most often than not? They flight instead of fight. Old world species. Also the M balfouri. So beautiful with the blue legs. I heard they're fantastic mothers, and even think I read a story about a female feeding a feeble male when he was too weak to hunt. Another old world. I understand the nervousness. I have it, too. But I assure you, they are not 'evil'. People are evil, not spiders.

ohnono

Arachnopeon
What relevance does age have to do with this? You said yourself you're a beginner, and venom is a very knowledgeable and experienced member here, just because you're older doesn't mean you know more.
But I never said a word about his knowledge! I agree knowledge (generally speaking) has nothing to do with age, and I never claimed I know more or better than Venom just because I'm older than he is, au contraire! I very much appreciate his comments, I learned from them, liked them, I thanked and followed him :angelic:... he is just being too serious (in MY humble opinion, I guess I'll have to put disclaimers out before opening my big mouth) in this CHAT thread in which I'm obviously just trying too hard to be funny :astonished:

There's to avoiding being bitten than luck, you have to take precautions and be safe too. Like venom said, people can keep for decades and never get bitten, because they are careful, take the right precautions and in general minimize the amount of times they are in a position where a bite is even possible.
Guys. Guys. Again: accidents CAN and DO happen. I already mentioned a man who was first bitten after 30+ years of keeping and breeding Ts. He was careful. He took precautions. But he was rehousing an OW arboreal and those animals are FAST as a lightning! So yeah, he had... AN ACCIDENT! :rolleyes: And I never said it happens all the time to all the people, heck, it maybe happens to one in a thousand or one in ten thousand, who knows, BUT IT HAPPENS. It's a FACT. And I simply don't get why you guys even feel the need to argue that fact. But as far as I'm concerned... As slim as chances of being bitten are, I just don't want to take those chances. That's all I'm saying. :angelic:

C versicolor are beautiful creatures and I want one soooo bad. That being said... have you seen a P metallica? My goodness, the color of those beauties. And most often than not? They flight instead of fight. Old world species. Also the M balfouri. So beautiful with the blue legs. I heard they're fantastic mothers, and even think I read a story about a female feeding a feeble male when he was too weak to hunt. Another old world. I understand the nervousness. I have it, too. But I assure you, they are not 'evil'. People are evil, not spiders.
Yes, I've seen P metallica in person, friend of mine has 50+ OWs so yeah... I kinda don't like it :D. I don't like those patterns lots of OWs have, they look... EVIL! :rofl: (I'm kidding, I'm kidding, please don't take my words seriously because I'm not a serious person :rofl:)
And people ARE evil, yes. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
Yes, I've seen P metallica in person, frend of mine has 50+ OWs so yeah... I kinda don't like it :D. I don't like those patterns lots of OWs have, they look... evil! :rofl: I'm kidding, I'm kidding, please don't take my words seriously because I'm not a serious person :rofl:
And people ARE evil, yes. :(
Again... M balfouri. Huh? Huuuh?? Great spider and we're getting one :)

ohnono

Arachnopeon
Again... M balfouri. Huh? Huuuh?? Great spider and we're getting one :)
I loled at "huh? huuuh??" :rofl:

Umm... no. :p The blue is cool but the rest of it is... no. I don't like beige/tan, it looks dirty to me and for some reason it reminds me of fast food which I hate so you know :D... And I have a GBB that is also blue PLUS teal and orange so I'm all good, thanks. :kiss::D

miamc12321

Arachnopeon
I loled at "huh? huuuh??" :rofl:

Umm... no. :p The blue is cool but the rest of it is... no. I don't like beige/tan, it looks dirty to me and for some reason it reminds me of fast food which I hate so you know :D... And I have a GBB that is also blue PLUS teal and orange so I'm all good, thanks. :kiss::D
Ummm... each to their own, but okay.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor

And my fear is rational. Of course I am afraid of being in excruciating pain for hours on end followed by weeks or months of cramps and nausea! :eek: So to prevent going through all that I'm not gonna rely on luck, I'm just not gonna put myself in that situation at all, it's as simple as that! That is MY way of avoiding being bitten (by something MUCH more dangerous than A.geniculata). Maybe I'm just a minority. :rolleyes::p
My point you misinterpreted was it's not hard to avoid being bitten if you use your head and take precautions. Not that it never happens to experienced keepers. Just extremely rarely. It helps to not handle either.

I will remain serious. I laugh with friends, don't worry.

ohnono

Arachnopeon
My point you misinterpreted was it's not hard to avoid being bitten if you use your head and take precautions. Not that it never happens to experienced keepers. Just extremely rarely. It helps to not handle either.

I will remain serious. I laugh with friends, don't worry.
Ok, whatever, you do you. But in all seriousness you do need a dictionary, no matter how smart and serious you think you are. I did not misinterpret anything. Do you know the meaning of a word "accident"? Nobody can PREVENT an accident, it's an oxymoron. Accident is something that can happen no matter how much "you use your head and take precautions". And the use of a word "extreme" in a context you used it is... extreme. :D It happens more than "extremely rarely". Again, I'm not saying it happens all the time but to say it happens extremely rarely is also just not true.

Anyway, I do hope you'll enjoy your OWs for a long time and never get bitten, I seriously do. But please consider this: I personally know only three people who were bitten and all of them are serious people with decades of experience and all of them were bitten by OW arboreals while rehousing them. They have done that hundreds of times before and they took precautions like always but it still happened. Because, you know, accidents really DO happen. :rolleyes:

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
have you seen a P metallica? My goodness, the color of those beauties.
I love them when they're blue becomes darker, but I prefer the colors of a P regalis or P vittata.

Also the M balfouri. So beautiful with the blue legs.
And can also be kept communally, watching them interacting is amazing! I have 3 slings and they all stay at the same burrow. They seldom go out though, mostly only at night. Good thing there's red light. :wideyed:

People are evil, not spiders.
Seeing people do bad things to animals and nature and other people is just sad and heartbreaking. Sad reality of life. :banghead:

accidents CAN and DO happen.
Yes, OW or NW anything can happen. So just enjoy what you like right? As long as you're not hurting others.

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight

You ain't afraid enough to hand feed your Ts though. I don't care if new or old world. A specimen, regardless of world, can deliver as wet or as dry of a bite as they decide. Plenty of OW bites can be dry. Plenty of NW bites can be pumped full of venom. Having an OW doesn't guarantee that it's bite will be worse than a NW. You're just scared of them because you know your poor practices will transfer terribly to an OW (as they've already proven to get bites from NWs). Please accept the truth and stop fear mongering these lovely creatures. They bite because you put your hand in their zone. The solution to not get bit isn't to not own any, but to NOT STICK YOUR HAND IN THEIR ENCLOSURE.

Also, if being in high-school is a reason to be immature, then I'd assume that being in your 40s would mean that you should grow up. You pass on examples that could get someone hospitalized and then play it off as joking. I hope you realize it isn't a joke when a weaker person follows your lead and gets tagged.

I can't even process what else to say. Just, yikes.

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
Unfortunately you can not have a open chat without offending someone or someone taking every word seriously, or out of context. Expressing personally opinions on here are not allowed apparently. After hours of reading on here the select few decide what is allowed or not on this forum and attack anything that is not popular opinion. Beyond getting husbandry advise, it seems like a moot point to share or try to discuss on here anymore. I get it they want to protect the hobby and assume every person who comes on here for information will only read one part of a thread and take that as a reference.
There are alot of threads that get started because of piss poor planning on part of the new tarantula owner, while some will help the new owner some just simply attack. I could reference every thread like this but it would be more a waste of time then typing this sentece. Anyways i'm out, i'll just be using this site for reference only in the future. I've watched it closely since i though of getting my first tarantula back in April. There are very knowledgeable people on here and i do appreciate what they bring to the forum, but this is my last sentence on here.
This is the sad reality, you can't please everyone. Don't take things too personally if somebody offended you. And don't take in the negativity, just inhale the positive ones. lol :angelic: