Rant about tarantulas' behaviour

ohnono

Arachnopeon
Three things:
1. "Protecting the hobby"? Trying to "protect" something by hiding the (ugly) truth is plain wrong and stupid, period.

2. If somebody chooses a hobby of KEEPING VENOMOUS SUPERFAST ANIMALS and doesn't do his homework to properly inform himself by reading a lot of SERIOUS writings on the topic but rather chooses to "learn" by glancing through a CHAT forum and follow a lead of someone that explicitly states he's a confused beginner, that person is an idiot who has no place in such a hobby in the first place. You got bitten because you hand-fed your S.calceatum because you've read somwhere obout someone who does something like that? Boo hoo, cry me a river.

3. I didn't come here to troll, pick a fight or make people angry, I came here to have fun so I picked a chat forum to... chat :( but as much as I'm sorry if I offended anybody, I'm not sorry we are talking about this subject. It's controversial but necessary to discuss.

This is the sad reality, you can't please everyone. Don't take things too personally if somebody offended you. And don't take in the negativity, just inhale the positive ones. lol :angelic:
A-men! :kiss:

Guys... I started this thread because I just wanted to hear about other crazy Ts :bigtears: so... Anybody here with a crazy T? :angelic::D

Last edited by a moderator:

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
My 4" girl C.cyaneopubescens, on the other hand, is a total <edit>. I swear she is convinced she's Asian!
Um what? Are you saying she thinks she's an OW tarantula?

Guys... I started this thread because I just wanted to hear about other crazy Ts :bigtears: so... Anybody here with a crazy T? :angelic::D
It is definitely time, as it has been a while, for me to mention my clinically depressed G. pulchripes. "They eat so well! Great species to keep!" Oh okay, trusted keepers. Oh, fiddlesticks! Mine is depressed and I'm pretty sure it is only getting worse. She hardly ever eats, has NEVER molted in my care (and it has been nearly 2 years now), she hovers in the corner of her enclosure. I swear I hear her crying at night while listening to the Smiths. I recently starting giving my dog Prozac and it seems to help him, so she is definitely next. :troll:

Everyone else seems to do the typical stuff from what I can tell. My E sp reds are always curious, my GBBs are little punks that grow too fast, my Avic is a stubborn fluffball, my P. auratus pretty much molts all the time and seems pissed off, my H. sp Colombia is just a fat pumpkin butt. Then there's my tiny sling, A. ezendami who has an eating disorder and is extremely shy. My Aphonopelmas are very pretty and they like to dig lots of holes and trash their enclosures.

Last edited:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
So there you go. Anybody else here whose whole collection misbehaves?
My Pamphobeteus cf. antinous are not 'good eaters' like the others I had in the past. They don't pounce right on them, they sorta pick the feeder up, put it back down, and then eat it...slowly. My B. kahlenbergi eats it's body weight in food every feeding, the best eater in my collection. Still waiting to see how my Phormictopus individuals turn out. I really miss having Ts, and one of the big reasons being their attitude, I'm hoping they live up to the 'Phormictopus hype' that my past ones did.

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
My OBT thinks he’s a bird. He refuses to eat unless I regurgitate food for him. He even reaches into my mouth with his little petipalps to take it. I’m his mama bird :)

Obviously joking. I don’t even have an OBT

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I like cute things and there are no cute OWs. They are ugly. They are evil. They are faster than light. They bite and it's hell.
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but how are they evil? I don't find an animal trying to defend itself as evil, in their home range, literally everything is trying to kill them so it's how they adapted. Imo, they're not ugly at all, maybe you haven't seen the serious species. Check out the genus threads in the Picture section. All tarantulas bite, I'd find a Theraphosa, Phormictopus or Pamphobeteus (generally any large NW) to be hell as well.

Last edited:

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
I like cute things and there are no cute OWs. They are ugly. They are evil. They are faster than light. They bite and it's hell.
OBT's despite their reputation are beautiful, especially the DCF.
Ornithoctoninae Sp. Mindanao are cute.
Heteroscodra maculata's carapace pattern is gorgeous.
There are lots of other beautiful OW's out there, you just need to look without prejudice. The picture section is full of them just as @Phormic28 said.

ohnono

Arachnopeon
My OBT thinks he’s a bird. He refuses to eat unless I regurgitate food for him. He even reaches into my mouth with his little petipalps to take it. I’m his mama bird :)

Obviously joking. I don’t even have an OBT
And now you are just being mean. :( Please don't. I'm pregnant and very emotional, think of the children! :bigtears::rofl:

My Pamphobeteus cf. antinous are not 'good eaters' like the others I had in the past. They don't pounce right on them, they sorta pick the feeder up, put it back down, and then eat it...slowly.
That's it, that's just what my A.geniculata does! It's creepy! :astonished:

ups, sorry for double posting, I don't know what happened :angelic:

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Hi there. I'm new to the hobby (less than a year) and I am... confused? My spiders are nuts? I have six slings and they all behave themselves but my adults and juveniles are driving me crazy! :arghh:
I know they are individuals and I've read about "docile" OBTs and "aggressive" Grammostolas but I believed those were pretty much exemptions from rules, so how's it possible that ALL my spiders are bloody exemptions?! Check this out:

My A.geniculata is a sweetheart. Such a darling creature. So gentle. She of course eats a LOT but she is soooo nice to those bugs it's disturbing :(. She never really attacks them, it's more like she's caressing them and apologizing for having to eat them. And she either completely ignores me when I'm doing maintenance or, more often than not, she walks up to me and slowly climbs onto my hand? I stopped using tongs around her altogether. She never bit me. She never kicks hairs. She is seven plus inches btw.

My 4" girl C.cyaneopubescens, on the other hand, is a total <edit>. I swear she is convinced she's Asian! She is unbelievably aggressive; as soon as I walk up to her enclosure she gets into a threat position, fangs out, and attacks everything in sight. I am terrified of her! And... she really doesn't web all that much?

B.smithi is always on the go... and I mean ALWAYS! I think she walks a mile every day. It's insane. I hate it. She acts like a mature male on steroids but she's definitely a girl (around 5"). The only thing she uses her hide for is to neatly put boluses in there. Sometimes she takes a bath - she literally walks right into her waterdish and pretty much submerges her whole body for a second or two, then walks out and shakes her legs like a frikking dog! And once she managed to open her enclosure and I found her calmly sitting on my bedroom door six feet above the ground! I almost had a heart attack! :eek: Her enclosure is duct-taped now. :grumpy:

My 3" P.irminia made a BURROW :dead: but never actually stays there. She is out in the open 90% of time. And I guess she enjoys it when I watch her poop because she literally poops only when I watch her. And she poops all over the place. Her enclosure is completely ratty, there's poop all over the glass, all over her cork bark, plants, substrate, water dish... EVERYWHERE! It is disgusting. FML.

And my favorite girl, my sweet and precious C.versicolor... is stupid as hell :banghead:. She doesn't know how to hunt! If I drop a cricket or a roach in front of her she goes bananas and she bounces around her enclosure running after them but she always misses them and then just lays there looking exhausted. So I feed her by hand. Yes, I hand-feed her. :angelic: Because she is terrified of tongs. She is also terrified of dubias and superworms. :meh:
And no, she never bit me. She takes bugs from my fingers in a very gentle manner. She is also around 5".

So there you go. Anybody else here whose whole collection misbehaves? :bored:

PS. Oh yes, they all have appropriately sized glass enclosures with appropriate amounts of substrate and hides and ventilation, my apartment is always nice and warm and moderately humid, it's pretty quiet, there are no bright lights, doors or windows nowhere near my spiders, all of them are well fed, nice and plump (not fat tho), they molt normally and generally speaking everything seems perfect other than, well, all of the above? So yeah...
Not often there's the chance to see a comment with a nice assortment of 'Smilies' without committing the error to repeat/double those. I didn't read your comment, obviously, but nonetheless I say 'Brava!' :)

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
People are evil, not spiders.
Most people seem to think the opposite :banghead:
After hours of reading on here the select few decide what is allowed or not on this forum and attack anything that is not popular opinion.
It seems like that on some subjects in TWH...
1. "Protecting the hobby"? Trying to "protect" something by hiding the (ugly) truth is plain wrong and stupid, period.
The lawmakers who could ban Ts are uneducated invert-wise...doubt they will reverse that anytime soon...

ohnono

Arachnopeon
OBT's despite their reputation are beautiful, especially the DCF.
Ornithoctoninae Sp. Mindanao are cute.
Heteroscodra maculata's carapace pattern is gorgeous.
There are lots of other beautiful OW's out there, you just need to look without prejudice. The picture section is full of them just as @Phormic28 said.
I've seen a gazillion pictures and I saw a LOT of species in person including each and every one you guys mentioned here and I'm not gonna change my mind. :D My aesthetic might be bizzare but I can live with it :angelic: and all of you can enjoy your H.macs as much as you want! I'm not saying it's impossible for someone to find anything beautiful, they are just not my cup of tea. Maybe one day I'll find the one I like but so far I didn't :angelic:

You present an even better reason to not hand feed than has been mentioned.
Ok, ok. I'll behave. As I already said - I might be crazy (I'm a physicist AND an artist for crying out loud, how could I NOT be? :p) but I'm really not stupid, promis! :astonished: And I am not all that stubborn either so... I consider myself convinced so I'll start using my tongs again and I'm not gonna hand-feed my honey anymore :(... but if she dies of malnourishment and exhaustion I'm gonna... be very sad? :bigtears:

Luka98

Arachnosquire
@ohnono you could have easily said "OW's are cool but i don't think i'm ready for their temper" and avoided this whole debate with venom who obviously knows more than you but you had to write walls of text and ruin a chill thread about tarantulas tarantuling

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I'm going to try to put this thread back on the rails.

My P. metallica doesn't like cork bark. She spends 99% of her time hanging out on the walls of her enclosure. I originally had a nice cork tube in her enclosure which she rarely touched, in fact when she wanted to hide she would hang on the wall BEHIND the tube. I started to think there was something wrong with the tube so when I had serious mold outbreak in her enclosure I took the opportunity to replace the tube with two cork slabs along with the substrate. I have seen her on one of the slabs once in about a month and a half. Otherwise she's on the walls. She eats normally and has molted twice since I've had her - all on the walls of her enclosure - so she seems healthy. She just doesn't like cork. I might try Mopani wood in the future.

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
Actually I always thought pokies had an "evil" look to them too. I think it's the black around their eyes, reminds me of the corpse paint black metal bands wear.

As for odd behaviours, I had a Phormictopus actually kick hairs during a rehousing rather than try to rip off my face and lobotomize me with its fangs. I guess that's why it's my favourite genus, always full of surprises and keeping me on my toes.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
I'm going to try to put this thread back on the rails.

My P. metallica doesn't like cork bark. She spends 99% of her time hanging out on the walls of her enclosure. I originally had a nice cork tube in her enclosure which she rarely touched, in fact when she wanted to hide she would hang on the wall BEHIND the tube. I started to think there was something wrong with the tube so when I had serious mold outbreak in her enclosure I took the opportunity to replace the tube with two cork slabs along with the substrate. I have seen her on one of the slabs once in about a month and a half. Otherwise she's on the walls. She eats normally and has molted twice since I've had her - all on the walls of her enclosure - so she seems healthy. She just doesn't like cork. I might try Mopani wood in the future.
Mine does this too. I feed him meal worms through the holes drilled for ventilation so he doesn't have to get his feet dirty chasing things around.