Random T Death

AlphaSquid95

Arachnopeon
Joined
Jan 27, 2016
Messages
15
Hey all, had some sad news today returning from work. I was filling up all of my t's water dishes when I realized my P. Muticus sling had passed away. I don't know the gender but I'll refer to it as a she. I had her for right at a year this month. She molted twice in my care I believe. I was pretty confused really, she always had water and was pretty well fed. Found her above her burrow in a death curl. Has something like this ever happened to anyone with this species before? Like I said it seemed pretty random. The abdomen had no signs of damage, nor was it wrinkly or anything. She seemed healthy, any help is appreciated. Thanks!
 

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Joined
Jul 2, 2016
Messages
2,611
A picture would help, had she eaten recently prior to her demise? I've heard of P.muticus sealing themselves off for months even when they aren't in pre molt, maybe she wasn't getting enough food, or could of been dehydrated.

Sorry for your loss.
 

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Joined
Jan 8, 2013
Messages
434
Slings die for various reasons.. I would bet on dehydration or perhaps stuffiness of the environment if it was too humid. There's also the possibility of a cold draft that killed it. Nonetheless, many things are possible and even with pictures and details some deaths remain unexplained.. Sorry for your loss OP
 

AlphaSquid95

Arachnopeon
Joined
Jan 27, 2016
Messages
15
Well I have already taken care of her body so I can't give out pictures. She had eaten pretty recently, maybe a week and a half ago, 2 weeks top (she never ate much at all). She did stay in her burrow for very long periods of time, I mean I have only seen her cone up twice. Once before she had even made a burrow (when I just got her) and just now when she died. Otherwise I've never seen her up. So she very well could have passed due to dehydration. Thank for all the answers and support so far!
 

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Joined
Dec 25, 2014
Messages
5,693
I agree with ledzeppelin. There's a lot of things to consider... like the fact that the care for an adult female is different (humidity talking) for slings. To keep the right balance between the moisture needed for P.muticus slings and avoid too moisture can be hard. You need a lot of ventilation. You can't keep those 'bone dry' but you can't keep those on moist substrate either. Combined with the furnace on those issues can be fatal.

I'm speculating, of course, because sometimes is just a matter of 'poop happens and then you die', seriously. I'm sorry, btw :-/
 

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Joined
Oct 4, 2016
Messages
264
Darn it :( if you had the king for a year I seriously doubt u did anything.
 

Turiell

Arachnopeon
Joined
Jan 14, 2017
Messages
32
I'm so sorry for your lost :( I wish I knew exactly what happened so at least you'd know. Seems odd for it to die after a whole year. Seriously sorry, AlphaSquid95 *hugs*
 
Top