random spider

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
Ok so I just got off the phone with my cousin from Louisiana who also has a couple of tarantulas { a g.rosea and a avic avic} and he told me that he through a wolf spider that he caught from outside in with his rosea. The rosea ate him and then went into her hide and stayed there. He said it was unusual for her she usually stays out. Should he worry? aside from pesticides would there be anything wrong with him doing this?

LirvA

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the other spider winning would be a bad result

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
I would think it would depend on the size of the rosea, and the size of the wolf spider. I wouldn't worry about anything other than the pesticides if the rosea was significantly larger than the wolf spider. It would be weird if the rosea wasn't acting weird.

--Dan

Enomegra

Arachnopeon
Wild spiders can carry diseases and parasites just like any other wild animal. They would be harmless to you or your dog because most diseases and parasites are species specific, but to another spider it could very well be a problem. I would advise your cousin not to do it again though. Chances are there wont be any problems but there is no reason to take the risk

WC Tarantulas can come in with nasty issues as well. Mites are the most common ailments but other parasites are not unheard of. One of my Paraphysa Dwarfs came in with a Acroceridae Fly larvae (pictured below) that erupted nearly a year after its capture. The fact is you just never know what a WC animal could have and allowing your T to ingest a potential harbinger of something insidious should be avoided.

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
I told him that it was a stupid thing to do ....risking a T for a little fun and a "watch this" I hope he learns his lesson without hurting a T. He bought both of them from a petshop on the same day they were on sale 15.00 each. I couldnt believe it. I told him to read Shultz and learn as much as he can but who knows. Until I talked to him the avic was in a terrestrial tank !!!!???? Another petshop not knowing what they are doing!