Random birth of baby Emps....

Xie

Arachnopeon
I've had my scorp for about 3 months now. (My first one) So I guess I never realized it was pregnant. I got home from work today and !POOF! baby emps. I just about fell over in shock. I've been reading and looking for info online for the last hour or so and found some good information. Heat, humidity, feeding dead crickets, and separating them from mommy after they leave her back and such. But besides the basics is there any advice anyone could give me? As I said before this is my first scorp and I was totally unprepared for babies. However I'm prepared to do whatever I can for there survival and can only hope for the best.

Heres a pic.:D

Falyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Shes still lookin a bit plump ya might wanna leave her be for a bit i dont think shes done yet lol..
congrats
Falyn

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What you mentioned temps high 80°'s F and humidity high 80%, feeding when they leave the mom (around I2, 2 weeks IME) separating at I2 or I3 will keep it comfortable. But also keep the noise / thumping of footfall and peeking in on her down to bare minimum.

Did you read the article raising Pandinus and Herterometrus babies. If not Here it is

GL on your scorpions and babies. ;)

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cool!! random births are good:D .. and yea i would leave her be for a while now ;) GL on raising them!

Xie

Arachnopeon
Thank you all very much. She has 4 on her back right now and there so cute. I'm just hoping my automatic sprayer doesn't bother her...

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thank you all very much. She has 4 on her back right now and there so cute. I'm just hoping my automatic sprayer doesn't bother her...
Congrats on the babies! Number one thing is to leave her alone.

How long have you had the automatic sprayer in there with her? If it's before she popped(had babies) then she'll be fine since she was comfortable enough to give birth.

Xie

Arachnopeon
Yeah it was. It finally let me provide her with the correct humidity at all times. Before I got it I wasn't home enough to keep her enclosure as moist as it should have been. I put in in then a week later she popped. So I'm thinking it should be fine.

marcelo_987

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've had two broods of emps, my first brood I seperated the babies after they left the mothers backs and all but one died. I had a second brood a few months ago and all 12 babies are still alive and are beginning to molt to I3 already. I'd say leave the babies with mom until I4. That way she can feed her babies and kill crickets for them. One time the mother was eating a cricket and one of the tiny babies crawled all the way to the munched cricket and took a few sample bites. I thought it was cute.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Argh! Everyone's emps are having babies!! :razz: Mine doesn't look as plump as she did the last time I posted about her, and the male didn't seem interested when I reintroduced last night (maybe she's getting too old :(). Good luck on the babies, Xie. :)

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you knopw this is probably the first time I don't post on a emp thread. Hmmm. Gotta change that. Good luck XIE with those emps. If you need advice don't hesitate to ask. Altough I never actually had emps since birth I've had a few since 2I and a few gravids I gave away.

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats on the babies!!! Thats always nice to see people getting young from emps!!Out of all the scorps Ive owned in my life an Emp is one of the only things I have not had give birth in my care.I have had many rare and hard to breed give birth for me but not a common Emp.I haven't had one in over a year but I think it's time for me to set up and nice community of 4-6 of them in a 20 gallon long and try my luck with them. I've seen so many people getting babies from them i kinda feel left out..But that will change soon I hope.:D

Xie

Arachnopeon
Shes all done giving birth and I can estimate that there are about 17-19 babies. How much do you typically sell them for? I have 4 people interested already and I'm getting 15$ a pop for em. I've seen prices in Milwaukee and Chicago for as low as 5$ and the pet store around here (when they actually have them) is selling full adults for 20$. The only problem I have, and yes I looked at the thread, is sexing them. Maybe it will be easier when I have 2 of them side by side. I'd just like to be able to tell people, and be able to get another scorp of the correct gender to breed. And as far as breeding goes you just have to wait till there fully mature right?

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sexing at 2I is gonna be impossible. seeing how it's done via the pectine shape and size. they'll just bee to darn small to even attempt a guess.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Shes all done giving birth and I can estimate that there are about 17-19 babies. How much do you typically sell them for? I have 4 people interested already and I'm getting 15$ a pop for em. I've seen prices in Milwaukee and Chicago for as low as 5$ and the pet store around here (when they actually have them) is selling full adults for 20$. The only problem I have, and yes I looked at the thread, is sexing them. Maybe it will be easier when I have 2 of them side by side. I'd just like to be able to tell people, and be able to get another scorp of the correct gender to breed. And as far as breeding goes you just have to wait till there fully mature right?
You can probaly sell them for 2-3$ on here, but chances are you could post them for free and people still wouldn't want them. Try to sell a couple to your friends and raise some so you have experience. It's not all about the money, and with emps.... will never EVER be, lol.

Xie

Arachnopeon
They have just molted for the first time, and a few are beginning to wander away from mommy. They all scurry onto her back whenever I open the enclosure... It's kinda cute.:p