Raising Typhochlaena seladonia (try!)

8 legged

Arachnoprince
June 23, 2021

As I announced in another post, both of my Typhochlaena seladonia sings have arrived. You are currently in the second instar and are about 4 mm tall - larger than I expected!
I paid 100 euros for both of them together, the packaging was great, the breeder even gave me two rearing boxes with full equipment, including plenty of lichen! I am thrilled and will use the cans, after all, the breeder succeeded in breeding them - so I am sticking to the recommendation!
The two dwarfs survived the journey well.
I will try to create this threat as a kind of picture diary and report it regularly. Now the newbies should get used to it, in a day or two I will start a feeding attempt!

The all-round package:
DSCN7214.JPG DSCN7217.JPG DSCN7219.JPG

Second instar and already an incredible sight!
DSCN7220.JPG DSCN7221.JPG DSCN7225.JPG
DSCN7226.JPG

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What a CHEAP PRICE!!!!!!

Now I want someone to setup a video cam to capture them making a trapdoor.

100€ my god

8 legged

Arachnoprince
I will try my best. The original price was 70 € for one pet - I said my wife will kill me if I´ll pay 140 € and asked the seller if 100 € are enough.
He accepted without discussion and still gave me the small rearing jars as a bonus. Maybe there is still hope for our species ;-)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I will try my best. The original price was 70 € for one pet - I said my wife will kill me if I´ll pay 140 € and asked the seller if 100 € are enough.
He accepted without discussion and still gave me the small rearing jars as a bonus. Maybe there is still hope for our species ;-)
Has he bred them before?
How common in the E.U. are they now?

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Has he bred them before?
How common in the E.U. are they now?
You keep hearing about successful offspring, but this was the first offer this year that I noticed!

still June 23, 2021 :lol:

After I found out from the breeder that the little ones only ate once (fruit flies), I decided to try feeding them right away. There is some information on the net that says that T. seladonias can be stressed by prey and since even micro crickets are still quite large in comparison, I offered them a cricket that had already been killed. They accepted it immediately! Hooray!

DSCN7229.JPG DSCN7230.JPG

Sambro

Arachnosquire
Gorgeous T's! I've been looking at them for a little now, they're some available in the UK <edit> , I've been a little reluctant to purchase. Mainly because I wanted to add a few more H.pulchripes slings for my next purchase, as I only have one and would love to have a female.

Keep us updated with these two! They're amazing and I'm very jealous!

Last edited by a moderator:

8 legged

Arachnoprince
July 03, 2021:
Not much has happened so far. They are mainly or almost exclusively in the upper area. There is no hiding place or anything like that yet. What is still positive: they eat everything that they - already killed - get. I usually squeeze the crickets so that I can "stick" them to the underside of the lid (delicious, with their own juice). Then they fidget a little until the little gems come out!
Since I have always relied on the fireplace function for ventilation, I have in the meantime drilled a few small holes in the bottom of the cans. Better safe than sorry!
I spray with water every day - very little and without great pressure and was able to watch the dwarfs while they were drinking!

DSCN7309.JPG DSCN7310.JPG

Last edited:

8 legged

Arachnoprince
July 22, 2021:
A molt has not yet taken place but I suspect soon, because the two dwarfs have built their first trap door - overnight!
Otherwise I fed them with pre-killed mini crickets once or twice a week and put a few drops of water into the enclosure every two days.

PXL_20210722_060915472.MP.jpg PXL_20210722_060934577.jpg
behind the trapdoo: :lol: :lol: :lol:
PXL_20210722_061009355.jpg

8 legged

Arachnoprince
July 24, 2021:
Number one of two has successfully molted. Unfortunately there is currently no better picture possible without stressing the animal even more. But I think I saw a full spider. Now the number 078 is missing (the two 8-legged friends have the loving names 077 and 078).
As long as no special event connects us, my animals only get IDs - which simplifies a lot, since the current status is 80 animals plus offspring.

Incidentally, this is the animal that has not yet built a trap door or a curtain!

DSCN7571.JPG

VaporRyder

Arachnoknight
90 GBP for a 1 cm sling here. So beautiful and cool though!

I’ve not yet gone above 60 GBP for any of mine. (2 cm Phormingochilus sp. Sabah Blue, and 6-8 cm P.metalica)

8 legged

Arachnoprince
90 GBP for a 1 cm sling here. So beautiful and cool though!

I’ve not yet gone above 60 GBP for any of mine. (2 cm Phormingochilus sp. Sabah Blue, and 6-8 cm P.metalica)
I always have my limits of personal reason, but the money that comes in for offspring is spent again on the hobby. Last year was a very good year in this regard and I got T. celadonias quite cheaply.
You should have opted for Europe and the euro anyway - I'm still disappointed!
:lol:

July 25, 2021:
Number 077 survived the molt without any problems, number 078 is still a long time coming!

DSCN7612.JPG

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
What a CHEAP PRICE!!!!!!

100€ my god
I think I remember someone somewhere on here posting a video of a seladonia making its trapdoor (it really isn’t a trapdoor but that’s besides the point)…just a matter of finding it.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think I remember someone somewhere on here posting a video of a seladonia making its trapdoor (it really isn’t a trapdoor but that’s besides the point)…just a matter of finding it.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Thanks- how is it not a trap door? The video in the Wild sure looks like a door, and the Ts do a great camouflage job on them.

8 legged

Arachnoprince

Thanks,

Arthroverts
It is a trapdoor!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Well, to me it appears more like a concealed pocket that the tarantula creates, with the entire covering being able to be pulled off. Not quite a trapdoor in the context of species like Idiothele mira and the various trapdoor spiders.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Ok, it's not a trap door in the traditional sense as nobody falls in.
Nevertheless, the animal reacts to contact and also hunts in this way - just like I. mira. Furthermore, the "curtain" also serves as camouflage. I don't see a major difference to the other "trap door spiders" !?

8 legged

Arachnoprince
August 09, 2021:
Number 078 - the little one who built a trapdoor - molted more than two weeks later than number 077. She survived it well.
Number 077 is developing splendidly. I also feed pre-killed micro crickets and lightly spray several times a week.

078 molt... (cm!):
DSCN7854 (2).JPG

Number 077 (N2):
DSCN7856.JPG DSCN7859.JPG

Phid Phan

Arachnopeon
Wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing your journey. You are helping me a lot. I just fed my sling a prekilled teeny tiny mealworm at it grabbed it and is eating it as I type. I am so thrilled! What temp do you have at night?