Raising Pandinus & Heterometrus babies

gagamboy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
nice thread man... very informative...

i recently purchased 2 H.spinifer scorplings on their 2nd instar... my problems is, i've heard from the dealer that their other siblings have molted into 3rd instars but mine still remains the same... its been 3 weeks now... what could be my problem??

tnx...

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
increase tempertaure, increase feeding, and humidity... less ventilation helps in that ... and then you should be fine.. was the temp and humidity you keeping them now?

Gilbz

Arachnopeon
I've had babies!{D
Well Dora the Explora has:)

Ok I'm new to this forum and will introduce myself sometime, but at the mo I'm a proud father{D {D

Attachments

Gilbz

Arachnopeon
lol no!

He got eaten 8 months ago leaving Dora and Fatty.
Dora actually ate the male about 2 days after buying them.
So we decided to split the 2 females into separate tanks as this was the first time we have had Scorpions, didn't want to lose anymore!

Fatty had babies whilst we were on holiday 4 weeks ago but sadly she died.
Heres Fatty...

Attachments

emmille

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
very informative

hello there!
this thread really would help me. my het just give birth last night & i just posted some pics of her here. well, i'm truly happy with my proud mom. i'm just wondering would it be the more humid or higher the temperature, the faster the scorplings will reach first instar? well, my enclosure does not have any heating device. just a plain old tank with woods, gravel & small pot with water. would that be ok?:?
thanks,
emmanuel

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
emmille said:
hello there!
this thread really would help me. my het just give birth last night & i just posted some pics of her here. well, i'm truly happy with my proud mom. i'm just wondering would it be the more humid or higher the temperature, the faster the scorplings will reach first instar? well, my enclosure does not have any heating device. just a plain old tank with woods, gravel & small pot with water. would that be ok?:?
thanks,
emmanuel
Warmer temps and feeding alot will make them grow faster. Your tank is ok. The young stay on their Mom longer than the Buthids do.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How warm of temps are we talking about here?

Also, how long does it take in captivity for them to reach maturity? Has anyone produced F2 offspring?

rex_arachne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
pinhead presence dangerous?

i also have a question: is the presence of even just a single pinhead cricket inside a 2nd or 3rd instar scorpling enclosure dangerous ifever the scorpling goes through its next molt? i make it a point to always have at least one pinhead in my 2nd instar scorplings' deli cup so that they would always have something to eat when they get hungry (the pinheads usually get eaten the following day, but sometimes not).

rex_arachne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Scorpfanatic said:
increase temperature, increase feeding, and humidity... less ventilation helps in that... and then you should be fine...
does this also apply to non-forest dwellers like buthids and vaejovids, for them to grow faster and go through their next molt?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
dtknow said:
How warm of temps are we talking about here?
at least 80F works good. Mine are 82-85F but will thrive up to 90F

Also, how long does it take in captivity for them to reach maturity? Has anyone produced F2 offspring?[/QUOTE]
I have a few Heteros that are 1 or 2 molts from adulthood now and are a little less than a year old

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
rex_arachne said:
i also have a question: is the presence of even just a single pinhead cricket inside a 2nd or 3rd instar scorpling enclosure dangerous ifever the scorpling goes through its next molt? i make it a point to always have at least one pinhead in my 2nd instar scorplings' deli cup so that they would always have something to eat when they get hungry (the pinheads usually get eaten the following day, but sometimes not).
It can be risky. Sometimes a cricket will attack a molting scorp. I usually remove the crickets if they arent eaten within about 24 hours

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
rex_arachne said:
does this also apply to non-forest dwellers like buthids and vaejovids, for them to grow faster and go through their next molt?
Yes, warmer temps seems to help all of them out alot from my personal experience

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
IMO, leave the cricket it as it is. They will scavenge it and make sure that their is plenty of food to go around.

My question for you Brian...

Could you describe the behavior of your emp before giving birth, anything you noticed?

((P.S. Didn't know there was such a thing as plastic shoe boxes :} ))

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The only thing I noticed is that she got fat LOL. Nothing out of the ordinary actually

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah I see... So no new burrowing or anything of the ordinary?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nope, in fact I had her in a deli cup during gestation so she couldnt burrow if she wanted to

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She didnt have room. When you keep over 200 scorpions space becomes very precious. I dont have any nicely decorated large tanks like you because I lack the space. I keep all my scorps in deli cups and plastic boxes/tubs and the scorps dont seem to mind. As long as the room stays dark and they have plenty to eat they seem quite content