Raising Pandinus & Heterometrus babies

Stockwell83

Arachnopeon
Help

My Emperor gave birth yesterday, and again overnight. She now has about eight babies. And since this has happened, I've been doing some looking around at how to keep them alive. Well, I've found out that the Emperor lives in a climate with high humidity. On what now is clearly poor advice, I've been keeping my scorpion's cage filled with sand. The babies seem to be fine so far, but I don't know how long that will last. She's been hanging around the water dish, but I doubt that will do any good. I need advice ASAP on how I can fix this. I don't think I can move her out long enough to change out the sand without causing her and the babies a lot of stress. I was thinking perhaps that I could clean out the half she's not in and put the correct substrate in, though I don't know if she would go over there afterwards. Is there anything I can do?

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
...The babies seem to be fine so far, but I don't know how long that will last. She's been hanging around the water dish, but I doubt that will do any good. I need advice ASAP on how I can fix this. I don't think I can move her out long enough to change out the sand without causing her and the babies a lot of stress. I was thinking perhaps that I could clean out the half she's not in and put the correct substrate in, though I don't know if she would go over there afterwards. Is there anything I can do?
I had a similar scenario, that is having to move a mother and her brood (on back) to a new tank ASAP. First make a suitable tank Now and get the temps and humidity up quickly (I used hot water to mix the coco fiber [this brought the temps and humidity WAY up]) then slowly take out any cage decor w/o disturbing her too much, then very slowly & gently coax her onto your hand and put her into the new tank (note she will be very lop sided and may stumble [you can see her in my video doing just that])

Here is the video I took of me doing just that...

making the new tank
[YOUTUBE]kthrHlvWuFM[/YOUTUBE]

me moving the mom and babies
[YOUTUBE]PRXNxdYu36o[/YOUTUBE]

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What did you do with the one that fell off? Did it go back on of it's own accord?

Greenmanbacchus

Arachnopeon
I was snipping them off with scissors when the scorpions were little and the crix were large. I thought it was necessary so the scorpions would have live semi-active prey to attack. Other may disagree. I use pin-head crix now for my slings.
Just for a little added info, snipping with scissors isn't necessary. Hold the cricket and briskly 'seize' the leg with tweezers and it will autotomize the leg. Repeat on the other side and you have a cricket with no open wounds (snipping) that can't jump or kick. They crawl along nicely and survive well until they are eaten.
Works fer me ;) Good Luck! :)
GMB

Tupinambis

Arachnopeon
Hello, i am new here, but i have a problem, two weeks ago my female pandinus gave birth to 4 babyes, but today i found her death, the hatchlings has not yet molt even once ¿what shoul i do? :wall:¿do i remove they from her back o leave them there in the terrarium? plase, i really need some help.
Thanks
sory about the lousy english.
Thanks (again)

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Take them out. Put them in their own deli cups for now. Keep their cups on the warm and humid side. Give them a little sterilized leaf or clean cork piece of cork bark to hide under. Sorry about the loss. :( Good luck with the little ones. All you can do now is hope for the best.

Tupinambis

Arachnopeon
Well, hello again, y remove the scorpionlings and they are now on their own cup.
They eat a lot, and still are white, turning to dark brown.
One of theh ahd a terrible first molt and now he has a useless clamp (i hope that is the right word) ¿is he going to die? he always get a very smashed cricket so, he can feed easily, y hope to be doing the right thing whit he.

Nick

Arachnopeon
well, my emp had 4 baby's and they all died. I didn't know what i was doing at first and had the last one for 3 weeks on the moms back and this morning it was gone. after looking around the tank i know it got eaten.

how long before its ok to put the said scorpion back into my communal setup?

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Lol nine years later and this thread is still most helpful for the first time "scorpion parent"... Thanks Brian!!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Lol nine years later and this thread is still most helpful for the first time "scorpion parent"... Thanks Brian!!
LoL, yeah that was a long time ago when I was ate up with trying to breed scorps. I haven't had anything in years. My job keeps me too busy. Plus where I live now it's a long ways to get crickets to feed.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
LoL, yeah that was a long time ago when I was ate up with trying to breed scorps. I haven't had anything in years. My job keeps me too busy. Plus where I live now it's a long ways to get crickets to feed.
Order online. Get meal worms so you can keep them in the fridge for months at a time.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I never had much success with meal works. They disappear into the substrate where the scorps can't find them
Not if you crush the heads so they still writhe but can't burrow. Some scorpions do refuse them though for whatever reason.

You'll get the itch again some day ;)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not if you crush the heads so they still writhe but can't burrow. Some scorpions do refuse them though for whatever reason.

You'll get the itch again some day ;)
I never really lost it. Just don't have space,time etc. Bass fishing keeps me busy. My daughter does have a jumping spider which is cool. I found a juvenile C vittatus under a board yesterday. You can't imagine how bad I wanted to catch it and put it in something hahahaha

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I never really lost it. Just don't have space,time etc. Bass fishing keeps me busy. My daughter does have a jumping spider which is cool. I found a juvenile C vittatus under a board yesterday. You can't imagine how bad I wanted to catch it and put it in something hahahaha
That's why I said when work settles down and life mellows. ;)

Great advice in this for those new to breeding or have unexpected broods.

Nick2450

Arachnopeon
Hello! I have two spinifer l1 and l2. I gave them cockroaches less than 0.5 inches in size. They run away from cockroaches, but do not eat them. How to feed scorpions?

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
crush the head and pile the cockroackes/crickets in a corner of the enclosure, the babies will eat them

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is really close to how I do it and I don't remember looking at this thread, it works just fine over here.

Nick2450

Arachnopeon
Thanks! Yesterday saw video on youtube The Dark Den channel it there even gave to adult Heterometrus a caterpillar, and the scorpion did not begin even to touch it. While other types behave differently. There is Heterometrus researchers, but not hunters.