Raising Pandinus & Heterometrus babies

1/2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very informative, greatly apprechiated.

Dave S.

Arachnopeon
Not-so-fast food

Another quick question, I noticed in some of your pictures you are feeding the slings the larger size crickets with the cricket's legs pulled off. I assume you all did this yourselves. Howso, and is it necessary?

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Another quick question, I noticed in some of your pictures you are feeding the slings the larger size crickets with the cricket's legs pulled off. I assume you all did this yourselves. Howso, and is it necessary?
I was snipping them off with scissors when the scorpions were little and the crix were large. I thought it was necessary so the scorpions would have live semi-active prey to attack. Other may disagree. I use pin-head crix now for my slings.

Dave S.

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the reply and advice. I have about 10 slings in a seperate container and I dumped about 10 pinheads in. It was amazing to watch them eat. Needless to say, there are no crickets in there anymore.

CELLMASS

Arachnopeon
<edit> you guys kick ass......... im now a father of like 15 scorplings and this thread is helping me out a lot. thanks 4 the insite. but i do have a quick question. how many should i keep? i would like to keep all of them, but 1 time i fell asleep with my EMP and didnt find her for like 2 days, in other words, i lose track of things easily. and how many houses should i have for the lil guys?{D

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Keep several so you can breed them. You can keep all of them together. Go to a Dollar Store and invest in a plastic sweater box.

CivisAmericaSum

Arachnopeon
Hi,I just bought 2 baby emps from mall the guy says they where born around march 20 and have a sort of brownish color, thing is I was expecting adults so I setup a 20L with a false bottom 4 inches of soil and all that, but I think these are too small for current setup they frequently go in their hide which great but they tend to dig directly under the part of the cork bark that should be on the ground i'm worried it might fall in on them and one has the habit of trying to get behind the tubing and it did I was watching at the time so was able to dig it up quickly

The one on top is a little shorter and wider while the other is long and slim when I first got them home the shorter one was just standing in place and it's pinchers were kinda vibrating like it was flexing it's "muscles" any Idea what that was about?

Camera acting up had to use cellphone

CELLMASS

Arachnopeon
im having another issue..... my EMP is eating her young! i dont know if its because they were born dead or they cant get on her back. she has 4 total, but the ones she has not eaten are <edit> big for just being born yesterday. could some one explain to me why she is eating the runts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mothers will usually eat undeveloped or sick young that wont survive. Be sure to keep your temps at least 80F and the substrate moist. Dont disturb her no more than you have to.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i don't have any problem with my heterometrus sp.(malaysia) i have 2 females,they both had 33 babies each,they stayed with each mom and then i finally seperated them,they were doing great w/their moms,eating w/them etc. but now i have all of the babies in a seperate plastic shoebox and they are doing just as good,and eating like crazy:clap:

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
i don't have any problem with my heterometrus sp.(malaysia) i have 2 females,they both had 33 babies each,they stayed with each mom and then i finally seperated them,they were doing great w/their moms,eating w/them etc. but now i have all of the babies in a seperate plastic shoebox and they are doing just as good,and eating like crazy:clap:
I agree....mine are doing the same! Mine had 18 babies, and they are now in a container eating like crazy, and making tunnels in the EE substrate!!

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah, they are easy to raise i even raised baby emps with the mom,until the babies were almost the size of the mom! they were so aggressive that everytime i put food in for everybody they would grab every cricket in there,and the mom had nothing:( so it was time to remove them,and the mom was releaved{D

CELLMASS

Arachnopeon
this is rediculous....... my EMP has ate all of her young except for 2 of them. i keep it moist i keep the temp in my room at 80 degrees and theres plenty of food and water. something tells me my Emp would of done the same in the wild. she just doesnt look like a normal mother, she probably got tips from my mom. but does anyone know why she ate all and kept 2? :confused:

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
this is rediculous....... my EMP has ate all of her young except for 2 of them. i keep it moist i keep the temp in my room at 80 degrees and theres plenty of food and water. something tells me my Emp would of done the same in the wild. she just doesnt look like a normal mother, she probably got tips from my mom. but does anyone know why she ate all and kept 2? :confused:
I was told they possibly eat the babies they think are sick or won't do well??

Can you separate the ones you have left? Good luck with the 2 you have.

FYI, mine had 21 and ate 4 of them in May. It was sad, but at least she left me some!!

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hmm, i had some in the past do that aswell,really don't know why:? true maybe the babies are sick etc.maybe they know to weed out the good ones.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Request to the mods:

Please, please, please make this its own sticky outside the commonly used index?

Pretty please?

Thank you muchly. :D

ManicDan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sad issue

Are there ever emp scorpion birth complications? My female was gravid since we got her back in September and she just got bigger and bigger, we figured she was going to pop very soon... but... one morning she wasn't moving and was just... dead... She was fine the day before, just chilling outside of her hide on some of the moss. She had been eating about once a week, her last meal was five days previous of a meal worm.

It was pretty devastating looking forward to my Mae giving birth... and we (my GF and I) were so excited for these 7 months... Anyone else had this problem? I've been searching the site to no avail...

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's a fairly common problem since a lot adult emps you buy from pet stores are old and on their last legs, with a long gestation period of up to a year and a half it isn't rare for an emp to die before giving birth. Best solution is to buy sub-adults/juveniles and breed em yourself.

ManicDan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, she was pretty grown up when we got her. Thanks for the response, "glad" it's a common issue and not something I morbidly messed up.

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Yeah, she was pretty grown up when we got her. Thanks for the response, "glad" it's a common issue and not something I morbidly messed up.
WOW. That is a HUGE loss :( I am so sorry to hear that. I would have been devistated.....my asian forest scorp was also gravid when I got her from the pet store last Feb...she gave birth in May of last year....and the babies are all still alive.....

I am so sorry :(