Raising Pandinus & Heterometrus babies

Zman16

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When the scorpion young are in the plastic shoe box thing, can a heating pad be used as an option?.

dr_hemlock2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
excellent report on scorpions

I got a pandis female about six months ago and she had babies but i was to nosey or did not research it better i wish i had found your post earlier keep up the good work
"doc"
:D

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When the scorpion young are in the plastic shoe box thing, can a heating pad be used as an option?.
You would have to make sure it doesnt get too hot to melt the plastic

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
How often do u need to feed the 2I scorps?
As much as they will eat LOL. I feed 2-3 times a week depending on the size of food offered. You cant feed them too much,believe me

Kazuki

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my emp just gave birth, n there r about 9 scorplings, n i think she is still giving birth. how long will the process take for the mother to give birth?

how long will it take the babies to grow into 1st instar, 2nd instar, and third instar? and how do i tell which instar r they at. thing is i have to go on a business trip for a week or 2, n there isn't anybody who can really take care of them while i'm gone.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it can take a couple days for her to finish up birthing. the babies will be at first instar at birth and will moult into 2I around a week later, depending on conditions. not sure how long from 2I to 3I though.

Kazuki

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
does anybody have pictures of 2instar n 3instar baby emps look like? or know what they supposed to look like after molting?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
does anybody have pictures of 2instar n 3instar baby emps look like? or know what they supposed to look like after molting?
These are 2nd instar Heterometrus laoticus and look almost identicle to Emps at that size. In fact I cant tell them apart when young like that

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here are two pics the first is 2I at 14 days old. The second is 2I at 32 days old. enjoy.

Thaedion

Kazuki

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my emp n the slings r doing just great. all of the slings have already molted, n some even got off their mom's back.

should i wait till ALL of them have gotten off mommy's back b4 i collect them? or should i gather what is off right now??

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Toss in a few small crickets and see if they disappear. If so, they are ready to be collected ;)

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
This is an AWESOME thread!!!!

I came home tonight to a BUNCH of new babies!!!

I REALLY hope I do things right, and they live :)

So really they don't eat until they start turning brownish, right??

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This is an AWESOME thread!!!!

I came home tonight to a BUNCH of new babies!!!

I REALLY hope I do things right, and they live :)

when mine left the moms back at about two weeks of age they began to eat cut up meal worms, as pictured above.

Thaedion

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello T,
I have seen Heterometrus still be very light in color and would feed. I always drop in a few smallish crickets and leave overnight. If they are gone by morning then yes they are feeding;)

Dave S.

Arachnopeon
Safety?

Hey guys, first time poster here. My Emp just had her slings about a week and a half ago and they just left her back about a day ago. I already have a seperate tank set up for the slings, all ready to go. My problem is that when I try to seperate them from Mom, she gets defensive. Obviously she's protecting her young. How can I get them seperated safely for them, Mom, and myself?

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
... My Emp just had her slings about a week and a half ago and they just left her back about a day ago... My problem is that when I try to seperate them from Mom, she gets defensive... How can I get them seperated safely for them, Mom, and myself?
In my experience I separated the mother first, then took out the slings and put them into deli cups, then put the mother back with some crickets and she was content. {D

Or just sneaking them out when she isn't looking is okay too. :D